Cross vs. Film Dissolve

Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited October 21, 2011 in Video
Premiere has cross dissolve and a film dissolve you can use to make a transition between clips. What is the difference between these two? I've uploaded a clip that uses them. The first dissolve is cross dissolve and the second is a film dissolve. I can't see any real difference between them.

http://www.danalphotos.com/Other/Stuff/9223982_trW3HW#1541591187_GBHdf2d

Thanks,
Dan

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2011
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    Premiere has cross dissolve and a film dissolve you can use to make a transition between clips. What is the difference between these two? I've uploaded a clip that uses them. The first dissolve is cross dissolve and the second is a film dissolve. I can't see any real difference between them.

http://www.danalphotos.com/Other/Stuff/9223982_trW3HW#1541591187_GBHdf2d

Thanks,
    Dan

Dan, Todd Kopriva says this over at Adobe: The Film Dissolve transition is new in Premiere Pro CS5.5. It’s a dissolve transition that blends in a linear color space (gamma = 1.0). In simple terms, that means that it blends in a more realistic way; basically, dissolves look the way that they should.

Of course cross dissolve was a simple layer transparency change from one to the other.
    tom wise
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2011
    Thanks Tom,

Probably I'm not seeing much of a difference because my clips are just very simple static images.

Dan
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Dan, Todd Kopriva says this over at Adobe: The Film Dissolve transition is new in Premiere Pro CS5.5. It’s a dissolve transition that blends in a linear color space (gamma = 1.0). In simple terms, that means that it blends in a more realistic way; basically, dissolves look the way that they should.

Of course cross dissolve was a simple layer transparency change from one to the other.