Options

Long Awaited Upgrade...

Steve5DSteve5D Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited July 11, 2014 in Cameras
I'm doing a long awaited gear upgrade today.

I've been shooting with a Canon 5D and a Canon 40D for years. They've served me well, but it's time to move on.

I was going to make the jump to the 5D MKIII, but I just have a difficult time justifying the expense. So, I'm going to go with the 6D, and I'll add the 17-40mm to my bag, as well. In the fall, I'll look at getting the 7D to replace the 40D.

My bag will end up looking like this (at least until I decide what to do with the 5D):

1. Canon 6D (gripped)
2. Canon 5D (gripped)
3. Canon 40D (gripped)
4. Canon 17-40mm f/4L
5. Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
6. Canon 85mm f/1.8
7. Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L
8. Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3

I figure I should be able to tackle just about anything that comes my way, especially when I add the 7D latter this year.

Am I missing anything?

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2014
    You have no need for the 40D or 5D now, you could sell or gift them. Unless you want "backup", then I'd say keep the 5D.

You're missing a flash, and a 35/2 IS. A FF camera and 35mm and 85mm primes makes a great kit for "traveling light".
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2014
    I was only looking at bodies/lenses when I listed what's in the bag. There are also two 580EX II's.

I like having both a FF and a crop, so I'll keep the 40D until I get the 7D. My brother will probably end up with the 5D...
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2014
    You can crop your 6D images in post by 1.6 and you'll end up with 7.8mp, which is insignificantly lower than the 40D's 10mp. So while your 40D might help you compose for that FOV better, it's not really getting you any extra reach.

You might want to wait for the rumored-to-be-imminent 7D2, the 7D is rather long in the tooth.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2014
    Everything I've heard about the 7D MKII usually ends with "but it's delayed again".

The 7D, even if it's replaced, is a ridiculously capable camera. If anything, the prices on them will drop when (assuming it actually happens) the MKII hits the street.

I drive a 15 year old truck. Buying a camera that's been on the market for five years really isn't gonna' shake me up too much...
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2014
    Steve5D wrote: »
    I'm doing a long awaited gear upgrade today.

I've been shooting with a Canon 5D and a Canon 40D for years. They've served me well, but it's time to move on.

I was going to make the jump to the 5D MKIII, but I just have a difficult time justifying the expense. So, I'm going to go with the 6D, and I'll add the 17-40mm to my bag, as well. In the fall, I'll look at getting the 7D to replace the 40D.

My bag will end up looking like this (at least until I decide what to do with the 5D):

1. Canon 6D (gripped)
    2. Canon 5D (gripped)
    3. Canon 40D (gripped)
    4. Canon 17-40mm f/4L
    5. Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
    6. Canon 85mm f/1.8
    7. Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L
    8. Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3

I figure I should be able to tackle just about anything that comes my way, especially when I add the 7D latter this year.

Am I missing anything?

that gear should work fine
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2014
    Steve5D wrote: »
    Everything I've heard about the 7D MKII usually ends with "but it's delayed again".

The 7D, even if it's replaced, is a ridiculously capable camera. If anything, the prices on them will drop when (assuming it actually happens) the MKII hits the street.

I drive a 15 year old truck. Buying a camera that's been on the market for five years really isn't gonna' shake me up too much...

Once you get used to shooting your 6D, you won't want to use your 7D very much. Only if you need 8fps or the reach. I've had 30D, 40D, 1D2N, 5D2, 7D, 5D3. The 7D wasn't the revelation that I was hoping for, even when it was brand new. The center AF point of the 6D will probably give you better performance than any of the 7D's points.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited July 4, 2014
    So far, I'm diggin' the 6D a lot. The high ISO performance is pretty stunning...
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2014
    steve5d wrote: »
    so far, i'm diggin' the 6d a lot. The high iso performance is pretty stunning...

ok