ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
edited July 29, 2014 in Cameras
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited June 26, 2014
    Still capture:
    Standard (calibrated) sensitivity of ISO 64 through ISO 12,800. (Extended sensitivities of Lo-1 (ISO 32), Hi-1 (ISO 25,600) and Hi-2 (ISO 51,200))

Advanced Multi-CAM 3500FX autofocus sensor module and EXPEED 4 image-processing engine.

RAW recording at an image size of "Small".

High-speed continuous shooting at approximately 5 fps in FX format and approximately 7 fps in DX format (when using optional MB-D12 battery pack and EN-EL18a battery), with no continuous shot limit.

Less internal vibrations from mirror-slap.

Video section:
    FullHD 1,920x1,080 / 60 fps
    20 minutes record time at highest quality
    29 minutes 59 seconds record time at normal quality
    Built-in microphone, stereo
    External stereo microphone (optional)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2014
    Has anyone found a comparison of the high ISO performance VS the old D800?
  • andiamoandiamo Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2014
    There doesn't seem to be much excitement about this announcement. I am going to upgrade from a D700. I guess I won't have to wait long for delivery.
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2014
    There seems to more excitement for the consumer camera Nikon 1 V3.
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2014
    According to a post on Nikon Rumors, feedback from dealers is that it's selling quite well - better than Df and D4s (for whatever that's worth). I for one am "excited" by the D810. I use quotes because while I'd love the camera, and it seems to hit a lot of the things I would like, there's just no way I can spring for it, and I have too many lenses on my list to buy first anyway. So my excitement is tempered by the fact that I won't be buying one anytime soon, if ever...
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • ComeVaiComeVai Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 9, 2014
    andiamo wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be much excitement about this announcement. I am going to upgrade from a D700. I guess I won't have to wait long for delivery.

If the quantity of D800 and D800e cameras going on the used market is any indication, I would say that there is a great deal of excitement about this camera.
  • pmbpropmbpro Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2014
    ComeVai wrote: »
    If the quantity of D800 and D800e cameras going on the used market is any indication, I would say that there is a great deal of excitement about this camera.

I noticed the same thing!
    For example, just yesterday, I saw THREE D800e cameras pop up for sale on Fred Miranda within an hour of each other. There were more D800/e cameras put up for sale, but that was very interesting to spot.

I have two D700 bodies, so I'm content enough with those.
    pmb images
    Film/TV Stills Photography
    "When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~ Henry J. Kaiser
    edited July 16, 2014
    I spoke with B&H photo and they said interest in the 810 is good, but nothing like when the 800 was released. They expect to be able to satisfy orders without long delays
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2014
    I just wish they had made the ship date a week sooner!!! I could have used it for my huge Whitney project... (Leaving on the 18th to replicate this image, but with the D800e and seven other cameras Laughing.gif... http://blog.kurtlawson.com/?p=952 )

Oh well, the D800e will "have to do"! :-P
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited July 17, 2014
    Just got a message from B&H. Camera was shipped; I'll have it tomorrow.
    edited July 18, 2014
    Took my first test shots. Quite an improvement over the 700!!! Much less vibration from the shutter and mirror and much better dynamic range, not to mention the resolution. I am very pleased.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2014
    I just wish they had made the ship date a week sooner!!! I could have used it for my huge Whitney project... (Leaving on the 18th to replicate this image, but with the D800e and seven other cameras Laughing.gif... http://blog.kurtlawson.com/?p=952 )

Holy crap! But... if it's already been done... why?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • macwestmacwest Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2014
    how is the autofocus on it?
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2014
    Holy crap! But... if it's already been done... why?

Jack,

In retrospect, (the shoot was last weekend) ...BECAUSE IT WAS SO FREAKING FUN!!!!!

Okay in all honesty, the reason we re-shot it was because the original image was made on ISO 100 film on a medium format camera, and we really wanted to re-shoot it on DSLRs, and from numerous different / new angles. In all, we had eight cameras running. Like I said, it was just SO MUCH FUN.

Images will be published after August 6th. :-)
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2014
    looking forward to it.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.