Looking to upgrade from Nikon D60 to ???

PhotoPaulPhotoPaul Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited August 3, 2014 in Cameras
Hello All,

I have been using a Nikon D60 for about 6 years now. The D60 was my first DSLR and I was satisfied with it, but now I want to upgrade since I know a little bit more on how to take photos and I feel that technology has changed enough for me to warrant an upgrade.

I have a $1500 budget and I want to be able to keep the lenses I currently have for my D60 for the new camera. (Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G DX Lens, and Nikon 10‑24mm f/3.5‑4.5G DX).

I mainly shoot landscapes, some people. I don't really have a niche that I focus on. I am a broad user of the camera :)

I'm upgrading for quality of picture and hoping to utilize latest technology.

Anyone in the same situation as me? What did you upgrade to?

Thanks,

Paul

Comments

• perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2014
    You don't offer much about your situation. No idea what you are shooting (landscape, family, weddings, sports, etc.) nor do you say what you are upgrading for.

My comments therefore will be generic and rather simple.

I believe the D7100 is the best crop sensor camera on the planet. I believe the D5300 to be right behind it. Those are the two cameras I would recommend to anyone looking to stay on a crop body.
  • PhotoPaulPhotoPaul Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2014
    You don't offer much about your situation. No idea what you are shooting (landscape, family, weddings, sports, etc.) nor do you say what you are upgrading for.

My comments therefore will be generic and rather simple.

I believe the D7100 is the best crop sensor camera on the planet. I believe the D5300 to be right behind it. Those are the two cameras I would recommend to anyone looking to stay on a crop body.

Thank you.

I mainly shoot landscapes, some people. I don't really have a niche that I focus on. I am a broad user of the camera :)

I'm upgrading for quality of picture and hoping to utilize latest technology.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2014
    If you aren't hitting any big limitations function wise from the D60 the D3300 should be a good fit. The AF will be a big jump up (11 points) and the sensor is great. The D5300 better AF still (39 point), a flip out LCD (good for live view) and WIFI/GPS built in. If you want to try some more action photography the D5300 would be a good choice.

Now if you want more physical controls/dual command dials among other features (like 51 point AF which covers a good chunk of the frame) you need to jump to the D7100, which would be nice but there goes most of your budget.

I'd lean towards the D3300 for you and pick up some more lenses, image quality will be similar if not identical between these 3 cameras so you're paying for the additional features and/or build quality. And if you kept a D60 this long a D3300 should be fine.
  • siaksiak Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 31, 2014
    PhotoPaul,

IMHO I think the Nikon 7100 would be a huge leap for you but it is the leap that I (personally) would take! Not only would you see a quantum leap in image quality (IQ) using your existing lenses, the camera may motivate you to improve your skills.

Simply, if you want to improve your photographic ability and experience the biggest leap in IQ, get the D7100 and learn to use the numerous dials and buttons. If you want a camera to do the work for you for a modest improvement in IQ, the entry level D3300 or even the D5300 would be suitable.
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2014
    Paul,

I started with the D50 then D90 now D7000. Hopefully soon the D7100 and/or D610.

The D5300 is nice for landscape especially with the tilt screen, but remember I don't think it has a AF motor or CLS.
    The D7100 it JUST ROCKS ......

Both are DX so your current lens are not an issue. So you need to decide if the budget goes to just body or new glass to....
    FYI, all my cameras have been bought as manufactures refurbs, saved some bucks and bought some glass.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • PhotoPaulPhotoPaul Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2014
    Thank you all for the wonderful insight. I am leaning towards the D7100. It seems like it has everything I want in a camera. I am anticipating that the next camera I buy will last me many many years to come. I think the 7100 will help me be a better photographer. Thank you again everyone!