February Rock in Alaska

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited February 28, 2010 in Journeys
So I am going a bit crazy here without doing some climbing. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some good ice but its just not the same for me! So a few friends and I decided to take on the rock. We drove an hour and a half to Wiener Lake (actual name) and checked out the rock. Not leaving town until 3:45pm meant we got there when it was getting dark but we were still determined. We drove another mile down the road seeing Purinton Creek and decided it looked great enough for a climb! So we pulled into the snow and promptly sank the big truck until it was sitting on the snow ....with the frame.

793168177_VfcU8-L.jpg

We spent the next 30 or 40 minutes digging it out and then parked in a pulloff that had actually been plowed. It was now dark but we were in the mood of "Who cares! Lets climb this thing!" So we geared up at about 7pm (quite dark here at this point) and headed to the cliff. I aided a 5.12a and Kyle led a great 5.10a in the dark and with style. The kind of style where you go off route and finish on another separate route. It was still a great night though and much warmer then expected. I climbed without gloves or even a coat and still managed a sweat. As I did a solo lead on my aid Kyle knocked a rock off and it fell where he didn't want it to...on my rope. it didn't seem to bad since the rope was in snow so I continued on. About 3/4 of the way up the climb I pulled a beautifully core shot portion through my gri-gri. He had done some serious damage!

I am assuming this is the "I'm sorry" face!
793122080_Ao7iU-XL.jpg

the damage
793118075_L2Wr6-L.jpg

I hooked into a bolt and some gear and we did some rope trickery to where I was able to finish the climb not on the core shot. Ouch. At about 9:45pm we headed back down and hung out by the fire for a while. The night was pretty cold at some point, I would guess around -5.

The morning was a slow start but by 10:30am we were back at the cliff and enjoying the sun that now found its way out. The rock warmed up quickly and I was loving every minute. I hadn't been on rock in too long since I hurt my wrist and loved every minute of it.

Kyle climbed the 5.12a and had a good time of it. Here he is clipping to the crux.
793157559_soptM-L.jpg

A little snow isn't going to slow us down!
793154797_GHEsf-XL.jpg

This is a very blank section and the crux.
793151009_i7GzH-XL.jpg

At just that angle you can lean in and get a rest but moving is just not easy!
793148938_e5N9C-XL.jpg

793145948_7Yau8-XL.jpg

Then its off to easier ground
793137946_tcLph-XL.jpg

and incredible views
793132958_AmwSm-XL.jpg

And if your lucky a little rest.
793130003_NbJpm-XL.jpg

Lang was the next to follow and then we called it a day after a few routes so we could make it back to Anchortown before 5pm (we made it to the Mooses Tooth 5 minutes before Lang had to work).
793125546_gTFWx-XL.jpg

Oh did I mention incredible views? Oh...I did...? Dang.
793162649_qq9Jd-XL.jpg

And a parting shot from halfway up the route.
793160097_jJWia-XL.jpg

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited February 21, 2010
    You guys are crazy. I mean that in a good way.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    Thanks Ian! I appreciate that. ;)

I am doing a color check and on my other computer these images look really flat on color. How do they look to you? On my monitor here they look super colorful. How do they look to everyone?
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited February 22, 2010
    Color looks OK to me. Maybe a bit of pop? But you were shooting in relatively flat light. Right?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    The light was really yellow and I actually toned it down because of how heavy it looked on this monitor but on my other ones it looks really flat!
  • kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2010
    what a cool hobby. I love the "and incredible views" photo.

Awesome! clap.gif
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
  • dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    I love the angle of the shots. A perspective we frady-cats of height will never see. Thank you for sharingclap.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/