Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM Lens - your thoughts...

jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
edited October 25, 2006 in Cameras
Hi - it was recommended to me that the
Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM lens is
a good lens for indoor events with low lighting and lots of movement, such as a wedding/party/etc..
any thoughts, opinions or examples to share would be terrific and appreciated.

thank you
:D
- jr

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    jerryr wrote:
    a good lens for indoor events with low lighting and lots of movement, such as a wedding/party/etc..

thank you
    - jr
    This is what I have heard as well. It, along with the 70-200 f/2.8 IS is on my list of things to buy. Really looking forward to when I have the $$$ lined up to get one or the other of these lenses.
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    jerryr wrote:

thank you
    - jr

I just got this lens the other day, but havnt had the time to use it yet.....
    what i can tell you is that it is very sharp!!!!!

troy
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    I've owned this lens for about 6 months now and I love it. I'm at work and don't have any examples to show at the moment. However, I can tell you that it is very sharp wide open at f/2.8. It focuses quickly, even in low light.

It's a great combination because you have both f/2.8 and IS with a very useful zoom range and no compromise in sharpness. While I'm not a wedding shooter, I can't think of a better lens for a crop-camera in situations like that.

Perhaps the only disadvantage is the cost and, for some, the fact that it's an EF-S lens.

thumb.gif
  • jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    Thank you all for your opinion...
    I am hearing this is a great lens.
    And even rebates going on right now - cha-ching!
    B&H I heard is excellent in prices on-line...

thank you again - jr

clap.gif
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 23, 2006
    bh photo is not the cheapest-

but low enough along with 100% satisfaction from me with all the purchases I've had with them over two years to enthusiastically recommend them-

don't know the 17-55 lens but I would not get because of using a 20d and a 5d-

but if you're not concerned about that, then from what others are saying here sounds pretty good-
  • jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    Thanks for the info- I have the Canon Rebel XT and plan on sticking with it for a while. Might get a XTi in late 2007...
    btw - cool posters on your site !!! :D

- jr
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    The real power of the 17-55 f2.8 EF-S IS USM
    105333723-L.jpg

YUP...that is 1/2 a second handheld.

exif.

Make: Canon Model: Canon EOS 20D Size: 2336x3504 Bytes: 9035135 Aperture: f/3.2 ISO: 1600 Focal Length: 17mm (guess: 29mm in 35mm) Exposure Time: 0.6s (6/10)
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    I'm lusting after this lens too, but I have to decide whether to get it first or the 24-105. I'm leaning to the 17-55 because I seem to use the wide end more and I would love to have a fast wide for portraits with visible context (of, say, a room) with narrower depth of field.

I currently have an XT but may move up to full frame in the future. Is there any comparable lens out there that is not EF-S?

If not, I may buy the 17-55 anyway and just sell it later if I move up to full frame.