Rechargeable Battery Tips

davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
edited August 26, 2008 in Accessories
Here are my suggestions when using lots of NiMH batteries. This is from personal experiece. I just went back to using rechargeables.

Label each set or 2 or 4 batteries with a Month/Year and batch number. The batch number is unique to that set of batteries.

Use the sets of batteries as described. Don't split up a set of 4 to use in 2 pocket wizards. You may use 2 sets of 2 batteries in a strobe.

Why? When you have a battery in a set fail then you can take that set of batteries out of service and test them later to determine which one went out. As they do wear out in our type of use it is also important to know when a set of batteries was placed into service. This is REALLY important when you start adding more batteries or replacing batteries down the road. When you have a drawer full of NiMH batteries a year from now you could randomly take newer batteries and older batteries and place them in a device. Later that day you notice that the batteries need to be changed much earlier than expected If you remove that set out of service you have just removed some fresh expensive batteries from service.

After a while you will become annoyed with all the hassles of the rechargeable batteries and go back to 36-packs of AA Duracells from Costco.

I've done this. I recently bought some more NiMh batteries to replace the disposable AA batteries again. This time around I've put a small P-touch label on each battery. It lists the month and year. Each set of 4 batteries has a different color tape and/or is placed on a different part of the battery. That way I can very quickly visually identify a set of 4 batteries - helpful in the field in dark conditions.

Doing this should allow you to nearly maximize the potential of the batteries while minimizing frustration from dead cells.

Cheers,
David

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    Thanks for the heads up David.....I've been thinking about this very thing (as batteries are laying on the table..Laughing.gif). Time to label them for sure.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    thanks David, very good tips.

Just want to share my experience. I started using the rechargeable batteries for many years. Just learn that the battery technology move so fast, from the very early dates of 1000mA to today 2700 mA. So I bought the battery in different time, one pack of 4 a time. It automatically has label by its own as 1300mA, 1600mA, 1800mA, 2100mA, 2500mA and 2700mA. Using different brand also can help to identify the group of batteries.

I am a bit reserve on putting a sticker on the batteries. As the battery was recharged and discharge, (particularly for high frequency flash), it generate a lot of heat. The heat may affect the adhesive of the sticker and melt. Furthermore, most of the battery compartment are rather tight (no actually the batteries are getting bigger), adding a sticker may get the batteries stuck in the battery compartment particularly after heavy discharge.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2008
    I am a bit reserve on putting a sticker on the batteries. As the battery was recharged and discharge, (particularly for high frequency flash), it generate a lot of heat. The heat may affect the adhesive of the sticker and melt. Furthermore, most of the battery compartment are rather tight (no actually the batteries are getting bigger), adding a sticker may get the batteries stuck in the battery compartment particularly after heavy discharge.

Good pt, and I can recommend just using a Sharpie permanent marker pen to mark them.

BTW, i also recommend a smart charger, one that can recondition batteries that are troublesome. I find that this puts new life in old batteries quite well, but it is helpful to know which batteries are new vs old, since the procedure is rather time consuming.

I have and recommend the La Crosse BP-900

ps. click on the user images on this amazon page, as a very motivated customer has posted tons of photos and info, including some that show refreshing a battery
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2008
    The P-touch M labels are about as thin as scotch tape. My experience with sharpie makings is that they wear off hence my alternative marking. Marking with a sharpie is much easier and faster but in 2-3 years of use it would wear off most of the labels I've seen on NiMH batteries.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2008
    My experience with sharpie makings is that they wear off hence my alternative marking. Marking with a sharpie is much easier and faster but in 2-3 years of use it would wear off most of the labels I've seen on NiMH batteries.[/quote]

It is true that the marker will wear off thru the time particularly when it subject to high temperature.
    Althought many rechargeable battery manufacturers claim their batteries can have up to 1000 charge-recharge cycle, I never have the luck to use it more than 500 times or more than 2 year of use.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    Thats a nice idea, I label my batteries in sets of 4 with a
    letter and my camera batteries in sets of two (for use in
    battery grip). This ensures that I use and load them in
    sets.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    If 1 single battery dies do you take the whole set (whether 2 or 4 batts) out of service??

What do you do with the good batts that are out of service??
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    Art, this is what a smart charger helps with: you can check the condition and storage capacity of a battery. For example a 2400mAh battery will show say 1000mAh when tested, as compared to a 'good' battery.

So I test all the batteries, do a 'test' or recovery with the charger, then check it again. Often it returns the battery to full condition.

I only toss batteries that no longer charge to capacity, not the sets.
    edited August 24, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    If 1 single battery dies do you take the whole set (whether 2 or 4 batts) out of service??

What do you do with the good batts that are out of service??
    If one cell dies of age the remaining cells will follow shortly .. so either
    assign them to a different device that needs less cells or throw them
    away.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Thats a nice idea, I label my batteries in sets of 4 with a
    letter and my camera batteries in sets of two (for use in
    battery grip). This ensures that I use and load them in
    sets.

The Canon battery grip is smart about battery use and relies on the most charged battery until they hit an equal level, then it uses both evenly. Keeping pairs of batteries for the camera isn't as important as for AA's as it will happily run with one dead battery.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
    edited August 26, 2008
    jogle wrote:
    The Canon battery grip is smart about battery use and relies on the most charged battery until they hit an equal level, then it uses both evenly. Keeping pairs of batteries for the camera isn't as important as for AA's as it will happily run with one dead battery.

Cool, I didn't know that. thumb.gif
    ― Edward Weston