Options

Removal of Collected photo deletes original

chnchn Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited August 1, 2013 in Bug Reporting
I believe the whole photo collecting feature took a badly beating. But the most serious issue is that there is no sane way of removing a photo from the collection (gallery). If you click the trash can icon the original photo will be deleted permanently.

The old site has a removal link that only removes the photo from the collection. It even nicely explains this to the user before taking the action.

I'm too scared to use the new smugmug site. Luckely I was testing this with a trial account and hopefully these "features" don't appear there.

Other issues with collection:
  • There are issues with permissions (i.e. photos from a private gallery will not be publicly displayed in the collection gallery, something I use extensively with the original smugmug)
  • Collecting photos are way harder to do now. (You have to view the large version of the photo in order to click share -> collect. A good UI would allow you to select multiple images in the organizer then click the existing "publish" or a share button and share it from there.)
  • The share link sometimes doesn't work (no lightbox is being displayed). Also the functionality of the "publish" seems to have some flaws as I get a "Your session has expired Please login again." message.
I also noticed some issue with the organization, where the photos that were moved out of the Sample Gallery to other galleries remained in there. In effect being duplicated with the same file id. Again no way to remove them without deleting the original.

Comments

• Options
    OjaOja Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    I lost lots of images without even deleting any. I removed an old virtual gallery that had no images in it itself. This appears to have deleted lots of images. No warning about images being deleted whatsoever.
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    chn wrote: »
    I believe the whole photo collecting feature took a badly beating. But the most serious issue is that there is no sane way of removing a photo from the collection (gallery). If you click the trash can icon the original photo will be deleted permanently.

The old site has a removal link that only removes the photo from the collection. It even nicely explains this to the user before taking the action.

I'm too scared to use the new smugmug site. Luckely I was testing this with a trial account and hopefully these "features" don't appear there.

Other issues with collection:
    • There are issues with permissions (i.e. photos from a private gallery will not be publicly displayed in the collection gallery, something I use extensively with the original smugmug)
    • Collecting photos are way harder to do now. (You have to view the large version of the photo in order to click share -> collect. A good UI would allow you to select multiple images in the organizer then click the existing "publish" or a share button and share it from there.)
    • The share link sometimes doesn't work (no lightbox is being displayed). Also the functionality of the "publish" seems to have some flaws as I get a "Your session has expired Please login again." message.
    I also noticed some issue with the organization, where the photos that were moved out of the Sample Gallery to other galleries remained in there. In effect being duplicated with the same file id. Again no way to remove them without deleting the original.

To remove a collected image, select the tools icon under the image and select 'remove'.
    Correct, if you go into the organizer and select the image and click on the trash can the image ( both collected and original ) will be deleted.
    Collecting and removing collected images via organizer sounds like a great idea. I'm not sure what's in store for added features with the organizer, but I'm going to pass this up to our product team..

The other issues you've listed I'll passalong to QA so they can check, replicate and file bugs as needed.

Thanks for all the information.
  • Options
    ricardowilliamsricardowilliams Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 31, 2013
    I have an issue after collecting photos in my new gallery. I try to do a Manual Sort and am unable to, it shoots an error every time.

Anyone else experiencing this?
  • Options
    pulsmanpulsman Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 1, 2013
    I have an issue after collecting photos in my new gallery. I try to do a Manual Sort and am unable to, it shoots an error every time.

Anyone else experiencing this?
    Got same problem with smart galleries, unable to sort manually.
  • Options
    pelzmannpelzmann Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 1, 2013
    But the most serious issue is that there is no sane way of removing a photo from the collection (gallery). If you click the trash can icon the original photo will be deleted permanently.

I checked this today in the organizer, also concerned what would happen to the original image.
    My original was NOT deleted, only the collected copy was removed.

Note: the collection was created today, not in the old SmugMug.
    Don't know if that made any difference in the behavior.
    Collecting photos are way harder to do now. (You have to view the large version of the photo in order to click share -> collect. A good UI would allow you to select multiple images in the organizer then click the existing "publish" or a share button and share it from there

Without a doubt, this a function that should be available in the organizer.bowdown.gif
  • Options
    prbrtprbrt Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 1, 2013
    Having trouble getting Collect to work from inside Organize. Open a photo view, select collect and receive a blank window with "Please select a single gallery". Trying to navigate Home, no response.

If I go to the gallery directly, Collect is working.