Jeffrey and Emily (from a very cool wedding scene)

seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited September 15, 2009 in People
I'm not a wedding photographer, thank the heavens, I mean, don't get me wrong I have the greatest respect for those who are, it is grueling work ... which I am reminded of when I do shoot the occasional wedding, like yesterday. Had a wonderful time at a nontraditional outdoor country wedding with an international crowd. When it's a great group of folks, and especially if it's an eclectic one, then it's my kind of scene.

If I ever do it again though, I will hire someone to do the technical group/portrait shots. I did okay with the lights and the whole bit but just cannot have a good time doing that work ... at least not in that dynamic. Having done mostly photojournalism/documentary style work in the past, every bone in my body screams posing is wrong, get me out of here ... well, that's just me :))

Shot most, but not all, of the wedding with a prime 35mm lens, often nearly wide open in a photojournalism style. To me anyway, the moments, the emotion, the feeling of the event are what people will cherish. And the wonderful memories of friends and family like Jeffrey and Emily ...

hyde_tom_jeffandemily.jpg
Jeffrey & Emily
prime 35 at f1.4
This was one of the few times I asked anyone to "sit" for me. I didn't tell them what to do, they were just themselves.
It made it a wonderful collaboration between all of us, and as such still a real moment. At least it seems that way to me.
I took only two frames and the other one, where his eyes are open, is ... boring in comparison.

p.s. and yes, it is intentionally (almost) dead center ;-))

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    Prime 35 at f/1.4.. Wow... that's a challenge to say the least! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    seastack wrote:

I took only two frames and the other one, where his eyes are open, is ... boring in comparison.

Very cool, and beautiful. iloveyou.gifthumb Let's see some more!

Malte
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    Prime 35 at f/1.4.. Wow... that's a challenge to say the least! thumb.gif

Nahhh ;-)) But in the dark with manual focus ... well yeah, now that's a challenge.

William Albert Allard often shot with a 50mm 1.0 and hail mary shutter speeds in crazy low light for Nat Geo and produced the best work ... when it works, it works well and to me often gives the best feel to the photos ... when it doesn't of course you kick yourself for hubris!

Meet David ... in the near dark at 1.4. This was the only one out of six frames where I got it right. (okay, probably could have stuck the flash on top for autofocus and those wonderful red lines over everyone but I (usually) hate the flash)

hyde_tom_david.jpg
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    seastack wrote:
    Nahhh ;-)) But in the dark with manual focus ... well yeah, now that's a challenge.

William Albert Allard often shot with a 50mm 1.0 and hail mary shutter speeds in crazy low light for Nat Geo and produced the best work ... when it works, it works well and to me often gives the best feel to the photos ... when it doesn't of course you kick yourself for hubris!

Meet David ... in the near dark at 1.4. This was the only one out of six frames where I got it right. (okay, probably could have stuck the flash on top for autofocus and those wonderful red lines over everyone but I (usually) hate the flash)

I hear ya... Well, these days, when you can pull ISO 25,000 (and ISO6,400 can be fairly clean), having a fast lens can definitely help one to shoot in the dark.

BTW, I like this shot better than the first one. More action, more character...

And yes, I don't like (on-camera) flash either. Sometimes it's a necessary eveil (red carpet, etc.) but if you can pull it off without it - typically you end up with much more interesting pictures...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    Malte wrote:
    Very cool, and beautiful. iloveyou.gifthumb Let's see some more!

Malte

Okay ... I'm still editing, and recovering, (it was yesterday!:)) but a few more, no photoshop yet, all with the 35 and I think 1.4 or 2.0 ...

hyde_tom_toast.jpg

hyde_tom_croquet.jpg

hyde_tom_earlandgirl.jpg
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    Why can't I see them?
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    Why can't I see them?

Either my web hosting company where these photos sit or my domain is apparently banned in China. Go figure.
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    OK, looove the toast shot.

Also your first is quite fun! What characters!

Weddings look good through your camera.. you should do more! :hide
  • rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    Very nice!

Are the last 3 natural light with no PP? And if so, out of curiosity, what is causing the vignetting with a 35mm prime?
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    seastack wrote:
    Okay ... I'm still editing, and recovering, (it was yesterday!:)) but a few more, no photoshop yet, all with the 35 and I think 1.4 or 2.0 ...
    Nice work indeed, and so's the one above of the guy in the red shirt. Very nice use of the fast prime, and the light you had. (But the first one, of the 'couple?' Cute, but it doesn't touch the others. :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    rustic wrote:
    Very nice!

Are the last 3 natural light with no PP? And if so, out of curiosity, what is causing the vignetting with a 35mm prime?

They are natural light, with perhaps just a tweak in Aperture to exposure and contrast but very little if anything. The raw files out of the 5d MII are much better than the original 5d, or maybe it's the new glass, or both. Not sure. At 1.4 on a full frame camera, it will vignette some. You can set the new 5d to correct en camera but I don't. I may have added just a touch of vignette to these in Aperture. I like it, although I know many do not.
    bdcolen wrote:
    Nice work indeed, and so's the one above of the guy in the red shirt. Very nice use of the fast prime, and the light you had. (But the first one, of the 'couple?' Cute, but it doesn't touch the others. :D

Thank you, I appreciate that. I am my own worst editor ;-))
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    I hate that!
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    seastack wrote:
    Thank you, I appreciate that. I am my own worst editor ;-))
    It's a painful truth that we all are. I'm in the midst of applying for a major grant, and my daughter, who works in a major photo gallery, has made me swear that if I reach the stage of being asked to submit examples of my work I will not only let her edit my selections, but will give her the final call. And I will. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed