Has this been photoshopped or is it the real thing

ed_hed_h Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
edited January 4, 2007 in The Big Picture
I posted this image to a motorcycle list asking the same question, while the answers have been varied couldn't repeat them on a family orientated list. believe it originated in Thailand
Ed
95535453-M.jpg
A dog is for life, not just Christmas
http://www.dogshome.org.au/

Comments

• photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2006
    real
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    It would be a lot less work to do in Photoshop than in reality. Either way, somebody has too much time on their hands.

Cool shot. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    thebigsky wrote:
    I'm stumped.
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    take a look at the condition of the bike. Then think of how long it would take for a tree to grow around a vehicle like that.

I say photoshop. There is no way the bike would have stayed in that good of condition.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2006
    100% Photoshop.
    Not enough rust. I doubt if the bike is even old enough to match that trees age.
    This can pretty easily be done (relatively speaking) in Photoshop by copying a similar shot a few times and the history brush.
    The designer did a good job on this. It's still photoshop though.

Here is a shot using the same principals.
    Momma was holding up baby. I duped the layer of another shot taken at the same time/angle and brushed away the parts that I didn't want to be visible.
    You just need to have to be able to controll your layers and how they work w/ other layers.

I only spent about 30 minutes on this so it's not perfect. You can easily see that this is possible in photoshop though.

-Jon
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    take a look at the condition of the bike. Then think of how long it would take for a tree to grow around a vehicle like that.

I'm still open to it being real. It depends on if anyone can ID that tree. Some trees have an amazing growth rate, like bamboo (12 inches a day at some stages). It is plausible that a type of tree with a fast growth rate could grow around the bike quickly, but I don't know trees.

A close multichannel inspection of a high-res copy of the photo may reveal inconsistencies in lighting, noise, or grain that would betray a Photoshop work, if someone has access to that.
    colourbox wrote:
    I'm still open to it being real. It depends on if anyone can ID that tree. Some trees have an amazing growth rate, like bamboo (12 inches a day at some stages). It is plausible that a type of tree with a fast growth rate could grow around the bike quickly, but I don't know trees.
    Colourbox is correct about bamboo. So I may be wrong about the growth rate of the tree, and the age of the bike.
    Anyone out there know what kind of wood this picture is sporting?
    colourbox wrote:
    A close multichannel inspection of a high-res copy of the photo may reveal inconsistencies in lighting, noise, or grain that would betray a Photoshop work, if someone has access to that.
    Ummmmm I think I might have a better chance of having an oompa loompa decypher the davinci code, but if you can get your muddy little fingers on some native art. You can tell what I already know.
    A simple thought. If the tree grew so fast, why didn't the bike just get lifted up into its branches?
    It also looks like the owner also got a little sloppy around the front tire. You can't really see things unless you are used to creating them though.
    Just like there are many shots that a better trained photographer could see that I am still striving to learn to see.

-Jon
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    colourbox wrote:
    I'm still open to it being real. It depends on if anyone can ID that tree.

That looks to me like our very own Moreton Bay Fig Ficus macrophylla (or a fig very close to it) That sort of thing happens here with park seats & signs & over head wires all the time. I certainly believe it to be real as these trees are very fast growers & thats exactly what they do to something near them.

This seat is about a mile from my place. Everytime i see it ...a bit more has been eaten. Some more shots of them.
  • LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    The other possibility is that somebody assembled the bike around the tree; senior pranks have wrapped cars around flagpoles and whatnot - it could be somebody's artwork.
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
    BTW,Just knowing the tree...everywhere here ...i would estimate that the root growing over the forks is about 3-5 years old.
  • ed_hed_h Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    gus wrote:
    That looks to me like our very own Moreton Bay Fig Ficus macrophylla (or a fig very close to it) That sort of thing happens here with park seats & signs & over head wires all the time. I certainly believe it to be real as these trees are very fast growers & thats exactly what they do to something near them.

I agree, we have a row of Benjamin Ficus along the front of our property,
    96391367-M.jpg
    This tree was about 3 years old when a lady swerved to miss a kangaroo late one night,rolleyes1.gif she should have taken the empty UDL cans with her. after 10 years most of the surviving trees are good 50 to 60 ft high, as a few people have commented on the bike seems in relativity good conditions for its time in the elements. I just wish the seat on my BMW would look that good.
    Ed
    ed_h wrote:
    I just wish the seat on my BMW would look that good.
    Ed

Mine does...thumb.gif

edited September 20, 2006
    gus wrote:

This seat is about a mile from my place. Everytime i see it ...a bit more has been eaten. Some more shots of them.

Gus, next time you swing by there. Check to see if that bench was/is bolted down.
    I don't see any physical way for this bike to not be pushed up w/ tree growth and be nested w/ the birdies.
    Example: I did a last minute science project in HS (just to get some extra cred) and threw a squash in a clamp device I rigged up that measured the pressure exerted on the clamp.
    A freaking squash pushed up to 1200lbs until it finally broke the rig.
    Now a tree w/ an incredible growth rate like this fig is going to let a little 500lb (I'm guessing) bike bully it and stay on the ground?

I dunno. That just doesn't add up. headscratch.gif

-Jon
  • ed_hed_h Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Now a tree w/ an incredible growth rate like this fig is going to let a little 500lb (I'm guessing) bike bully it and stay on the ground?

-Jon

Looks like air roots may have been dropped around the bike as the tree grew
    Ed
    http://www.sfrc.ufl.edu/4h/Strangler_fig/stranfig.htm
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Gus, next time you swing by there. Check to see if that bench was/is bolted down.
    I don't see any physical way for this bike to not be pushed up w/ tree growth and be nested w/ the birdies.
    Example: I did a last minute science project in HS (just to get some extra cred) and threw a squash in a clamp device I rigged up that measured the pressure exerted on the clamp.
    A freaking squash pushed up to 1200lbs until it finally broke the rig.

-Jon
    They are certainly air roots...they drop down over stuff. We get it a lot here. They grow very very fast.
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    ed_h wrote:
    Has this been photoshopped or is it the real thing .... believe it originated in Thailand
    The real thing. Thailand is in suspended animation at the moment until the country can decide who is in charge.
    ed_h wrote:
    Looks like air roots may have been dropped around the bike as the tree grew
    Ed
    http://www.sfrc.ufl.edu/4h/Strangler_fig/stranfig.htm

Wow, Never heard of air roots before.
    I've heard of arrowroot, but I used to be a chef.
    Very interesting. I completely believe you, just hard to visualize since I'm from the US and where I lived air roots don't exist.
    My opinion has swayed, but not been changed from thinking this is a fake.
    I can do this in photoshop and I'm not even considered a pro.

-Jon
  • photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    take close notice of the rear end of the front fender and the root's effort to slightly push it aside. That wasn't photoshopped.
    I rode home from school one day & forgot all about these trees & lent my malvern star dragster up against it...next morning it was gone...claimed. Not such a surprise really but the sad part was that the bloody dog used to have this habit of sitting on the seat at night.....
  • mplafleurmplafleur Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 2, 2007
    ed_h wrote:
    I posted this image to a motorcycle list asking the same question, while the answers have been varied couldn't repeat them on a family orientated list. believe it originated in Thailand
    Ed
    95535453-M.jpg
    What image????
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 2, 2007
    mplafleur wrote:
    What image????
    this thread is months old, take a look at the first post date... it's probably been moved, deleted since then.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• mplafleurmplafleur Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 2, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    this thread is months old, take a look at the first post date... it's probably been moved, deleted since then.
    Months old is still pretty recent. Who in their right would make a post and insert photos they were not going to maintain?

Bad form! How rude!
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 2, 2007
    not intentionally moved, possibly-

if it were I that had posted that pic, I could have just forgotten or not thought of someone looking at this thread, or was rearranging my gallery, or was just being my senile self (not to say the original poster is or did any of these)-
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    mplafleur wrote:
    Months old is still pretty recent. Who in their right would make a post and insert photos they were not going to maintain?

Bad form! How rude!
    Not at all. This thread was started around 14 weeks ago and old threads rarely get resurrected. when they are that old.

There are plenty of active threads going on to get involved in.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    mplafleur wrote:
    Months old is still pretty recent. Who in their right would make a post and insert photos they were not going to maintain? Bad form! How rude!
    thumb.gif
  • yoyoboyyoyoboy Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    I've always wondered where all those old photos go... any idea?
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 2, 2007
    wow guys, talk about beating a dead horse. websites get updated, galleries get deleted.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    wow guys, talk about beating a dead horse. websites get updated, galleries get deleted.

Easy for you to say. I am highly upset that I can't see the picture in this post http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=777

biggrinbounce2.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    mplafleur wrote:

Bad form! How rude!
    Lots more important things to get upset about.

The image was of a motorcycle that became imbedded in a tree as the tree grew. Kinda cool.

Sorry you can't see it! :poke
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au