thumbnail crop

jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
edited June 8, 2011 in Bug Reporting
When cropping thumbnails, the aspect ratio defaults back to "original" after each crop. If I choose "1:1" it should stick until I close the window. It would save hundreds of clicks.

JP

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    Thanks for posting such a great, detailed feature request. If you don't mind, we'd love it if you would put your feature requests here: http://feedback.smugmug.com

Thanks!
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    It's a bug, that's why I posted here. It's no different than the recently fixed bug that takes you to the next pic after a deletion, rather than to the beginning of the gallery.

http://news.smugmug.com/2011/06/02/more-backprinting-options-and-bug-fixes/

If you need more details, just let me know. I thought it was pretty simple.
    edited June 7, 2011
    Technically, it's not a bug - I'm passing this on to the product team though, thanks! It'll still be awesome if you put it on our feedback site.
    edited June 7, 2011
    Will do, thanks.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Technically, it's not a bug - I'm passing this on to the product team though, thanks! It'll still be awesome if you put it on our feedback site.
    Andy, someday you will come to understand that to a customer a bug is any behavior that is not as expected, whether the developer thinks so or not and you will stop trying to talk the customer out of the "bug" label. I know some developers think a bug is only something they didn't intend, but that's not a customer-centric way of thinking about things nor is it scoring you points with customers to try to explain to them why it's not a bug.

This very behavior was "fixed" in a previous version of the tool (I complained about it several years ago and it was fixed then) so that it would cookie the last setting you used and continue to use that setting for the future. It has since been "broken" or "reverted" back to the old behavior. It's very annoying and ALL customers doing multiple thumbnail crops at anything other than the default value for this setting will find it's current behavior undesirable.

FYI, just because you allow a customer to call it a bug doesn't mean you have to fix it. It will obviously go in a list to be prioritized along with all other things to be done.

IMO, this kind of thing is kind of dumb to use feedback.smugmug.com for. It's never going to garner lots of votes. Once you know about it, you either want to fix this undesirable behavior in the crop tool or you don't. It shouldn't be about waiting a year to see how many votes it gets in feedback.smugmug.com.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited June 7, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    Andy, someday you will come to understand that to a customer a bug is any behavior that is not as expected, whether the developer thinks so or not and you will stop trying to talk the customer out of the "bug" label. I know some developers think a bug is only something they didn't intend, but that's not a customer-centric way of thinking about things nor is it scoring you points with customers to try to explain to them why it's not a bug.

This very behavior was "fixed" in a previous version of the tool (I complained about it several years ago and it was fixed then) so that it would cookie the last setting you used and continue to use that setting for the future. It has since been "broken" or "reverted" back to the old behavior. It's very annoying and ALL customers doing multiple thumbnail crops at anything other than the default value for this setting will find it's current behavior undesirable.

FYI, just because you allow a customer to call it a bug doesn't mean you have to fix it. It will obviously go in a list to be prioritized along with all other things to be done.
    I really do understand - that's why I took the time to make sure our product team sees this - thanks John! :D
    edited June 8, 2011
    Thanks, John. Well-spoken. I appreciate your input and I hope it will help to get this fixed. With all of the help you have provided to Grinners, I would hope that your opinion carries some weight.

JP
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2011
    jpc wrote: »
    Thanks, John. Well-spoken. I appreciate your input and I hope it will help to get this fixed. With all of the help you have provided to Grinners, I would hope that your opinion carries some weight.

JP
    I don't think my opinion carries any more weight than anyone else's. I just know the history that this issue is a pain and it has been fixed before, then broken again. Hopefully they will fix it up for us. Andy did get the info to the developers so hopefully it's on a list somewhere and will get someone's attention at some point.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question