Options

Animoto, upload from smugmug doesn't use the high resolution available

carlo pinascocarlo pinasco Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited June 3, 2011 in Bug Reporting
When I upload photo from smugmug to animoto, starting the process from animoto or from smugmug doesn't make difference, the photo are uploaded with a resolution below the 1024*768 reccomended for High resolution Video.

This is what Animoto say if you click on the photo uploaded.

If I upload the same photo form my PC Animoto is happy about the dimensions.

In this gallery
http://carlopinasco.smugmug.com/gallery/10415193_5Bx2x#721760573_uyTq6 all the photos are in original 1600*1066 pix.
If I upload from my PC to Smugmug and from smugmug to animoto I've the low resolution message.
I I upload directly from the PC to animoto no problem at all.

So the question is, how can we force Smugmug to upload to animoto the right size?

Carlo

Comments

• Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 24, 2009
    Carlo,

We had another customer contact us on the help desk about this. I have reported it to the Animoto folks as the photo appears correct on the SmugMug side. I am not sure if we are not handing off the correct size or if they are not pulling the right one. But they are aware of the issue and investigating. I will make sure that they see this post as well.

thumb.gif

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    docwalker wrote:
    Carlo,

We had another customer contact us on the help desk about this. I have reported it to the Animoto folks as the photo appears correct on the SmugMug side. I am not sure if we are not handing off the correct size or if they are not pulling the right one. But they are aware of the issue and investigating. I will make sure that they see this post as well.

thumb.gif

--Doc

thanks a lot for your help
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2009
    I am having the same problem. Animoto is clearly not pulling up the originals.

Am using an unlisted gallery. Don't know why that would make a difference, but maybe???

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2009
    Gina, I am not sure of the cause. But they should be able to get it fixed soon. Sorry for the trouble.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    r9jacksonr9jackson Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    When I upload photo from smugmug to animoto, starting the process from animoto or from smugmug doesn't make difference, the photo are uploaded with a resolution below the 1024*768 reccomended for High resolution Video.

This is what Animoto say if you click on the photo uploaded.

If I upload the same photo form my PC Animoto is happy about the dimensions.

In this gallery
    http://carlopinasco.smugmug.com/gallery/10415193_5Bx2x#721760573_uyTq6 all the photos are in original 1600*1066 pix.
    If I upload from my PC to Smugmug and from smugmug to animoto I've the low resolution message.
    I I upload directly from the PC to animoto no problem at all.

So the question is, how can we force Smugmug to upload to animoto the right size?

Carlo
    I am seeing the same thing. I have tried setting my galleries to "originals" and it still does not upload a high resolution image I have on my site.
    Maybe there is some trick. I seem to remember some high res images getting into Animoto, but not recently. Did anything change on Animoto?
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2009
    r9jackson wrote:
    I am seeing the same thing. I have tried setting my galleries to "originals" and it still does not upload a high resolution image I have on my site.
    Maybe there is some trick. I seem to remember some high res images getting into Animoto, but not recently. Did anything change on Animoto?
    However, one way around this problem is to use Album Fetcher and then upload your images from the stored photos on your local system. Animoto does limit the size to 5 mb.
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2009
    Animoto is aware of the problem and they are working on a fix. That was the last thing I have from their support folks. Hopefully they will get it fixed soon. thumb.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AnimotoBeckyAnimotoBecky Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2009
    Yep, I'll check in and let our TechGuys know this is a concern of SM users. Thanks for letting us know!
    docwalker wrote:
    Animoto is aware of the problem and they are working on a fix. That was the last thing I have from their support folks. Hopefully they will get it fixed soon. thumb.gif
    Animoto Pro now has $39 Trial Pricing:
    http://animoto.com/photography/upgrade
    Pro-Exclusive Styles are here:
    http://animoto.com/photography/elegance

• Options
    edited December 24, 2009
    Yep, I'll check in and let our TechGuys know this is a concern of SM users. Thanks for letting us know!

Today 24th dec is not yet solved.....hope they have found the right path to final solution :-)
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2009
    Hoping for a Merry Christmas
    Today 24th dec is not yet solved.....hope they have found the right path to final solution :-)
    We were hoping that we would have great HD videos for Christmas.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2009
    Very sorry for that. We did just hire 2 new developers who start in the New Year. I'll let you know when they get cranking on this.
    r9jackson wrote:
    We were hoping that we would have great HD videos for Christmas.

• Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    I probably won't subscribe until this problem is fixed.
  • Options
    aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    March 10 - still doesn't work, apparently. All (or at least almost all) of the images I'm sending to animoto from the "buy" button are all open to X2-X3 sizes. Animoto reports "This image is smaller than the recommended landscape size of 1024x768 for high-resolution videos."

It also looks like the watermarks are being sent over but I'm trying another video to confirm that.
  • Options
    EnitsuguaEnitsugua Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    April 22 - still doesn't work; not really

If you start from the SmugMug side via the Buy button while logged in, it works. It pushes high res images without watermarks.

If you start from the Animoto side, you get low res images and watermarks when pulling over from SmugMug.

Should be the same regardless of where I start the project.

Looks to me as though SmugMug is more interested in seeing this partnership work than Animoto is. I noticed Animoto also now has import options for Flickr, Facebook, Picassa, and Photobucket.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2010
    Guys, I am going to bump this to my folks and animoto. I really want this to work for you. I am not sure what is going on. Hang in there.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2010
    I just talked to our Project Manager who came on board a few months ago to triage these sorts of issues and get them fixed!

He has 3 or 4 SmugMug-related bugs he wants to fix in one big swoop, but can't give me an ETA for these fixes. E-mail me at rebecca@animoto.com if you'd like months added to your account to recoup months lost when Animoto wasn't working as well as you would have hoped. I'll have you covered until these fixes do (finally) roll out.
    docwalker wrote:
    Guys, I am going to bump this to my folks and animoto. I really want this to work for you. I am not sure what is going on. Hang in there.

• Options
    RobertkRobertk Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    Are these issues fixed. I was looking a joining but have had problems with the files with the free version.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2010
    We still don't pull the hi-res files from SmugMug. We did recently allow for image uploads to be as large 10 MB, but again... that will be for manually uploads to animoto.com. I'll certainly let everyone know on the Forum once this is rolled-out. In fact, I'll most likely be singing and dancing along the rest of you once it is released. :ivar
    Robertk wrote: »
    Are these issues fixed. I was looking a joining but have had problems with the files with the free version.

• Options
    edited June 9, 2010
    Any idea on how long? I want to get a pro account but it's a big headache not to be able to pull directly from smug mug.
    We still don't pull the hi-res files from SmugMug. We did recently allow for image uploads to be as large 10 MB, but again... that will be for manually uploads to animoto.com. I'll certainly let everyone know on the Forum once this is rolled-out. In fact, I'll most likely be singing and dancing along the rest of you once it is released. :ivar
  • Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    +1 waiting for this issue to be resolved before joining animoto.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2010
    Guess this won't happen soon?
  • Options
    ShutterByMeShutterByMe Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited June 20, 2010
    I guess this is still an issue with them since my slide show video looks awful? I so love this idea and was so excited about it.....but when you try and view them in big screen they look awful! Blurry and even my downloads are awful...blurry not to mention the whole slide show looks blown out.... it's painful! I have tried every way possible uploading trying to make a difference, but nothing is helping. Is anyone out there having good luck with Animoto? I really would love to have this....so far have only paid the monthly thing for the pro acct to check it out first....ummm I'm not sure I want to buy the $250 worth!
  • Options
    aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    To be fair, are you doing the higher-resolution slide show? The standard one doesn't look all that great and might be considered blurry.

I gave up on the service anyway, it just doesn't meet my needs - but I haven't played with it to see if the problem was ever addressed.
  • Options
    Camara Photography, LLCCamara Photography, LLC Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    I REALLY want this to work!
    I was really excited to see that Animoto was now offered as a smugmug partner / feature, so I tried do do a free, 30 second show to test it...

When I select photos to add, I get this: "This image is smaller than the recommended landscape size of 1024x768 for high-resolution videos.", when the originals are WELL over that size. WHY, or how do I fix it?

Also, can a 30 second slideshow be put in a gallery as a "teaser", to sell to clients? If so, can clients purchase it (a full length version) directly from smugmug (as a digital file)?
  • Options
    Camara Photography, LLCCamara Photography, LLC Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    I was really excited to see that Animoto was now offered as a smugmug partner / feature, so I tried do do a free, 30 second show to test it...

When I select photos to add, I get this: "This image is smaller than the recommended landscape size of 1024x768 for high-resolution videos.", when the originals are WELL over that size. WHY, or how do I fix it?

Also, can a 30 second slideshow be put in a gallery as a "teaser", to sell to clients? If so, can clients purchase it (a full length version) directly from smugmug (as a digital file)?

Oh yeah, why are we limited to 300 files??? I'm sure I'm not the only wedding photographer that would be annoyed by this.?
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010
    Camara Photography,

I am going to leave your other questions for the Animoto folks to answer as I really don't know. But you asked if you could sell your video clips through SmugMug. Not at this time. You could add PayPal or Google Checkout to handle payments. Our shopping cart system is not setup to handle other items that are not part of our catalog at this time. You might want to add your voice to this request here: http://smugmug.uservoice.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/354950-let-us-be-able-to-sell-videos-please-open-up-the?ref=title

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2010
    Bump... Why would a service be offered to so many customers, be launched with so many bugs (based on this forum)??? Wouldn't it be a better business model to run it through it's paces, and THEN offer it to your customers?
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2010
    Ok.. I sound like the squeaky wheel here, but I really want this service to fit my needs. I'm getting frustrated by the lack of answers, and the answers I get from Animoto are not satisfactory due to the limits of their service. For instance, I just found out that even with the full subscription, you ONLY get to use ONE song! Again, I can't be the only wedding photographer that would find this as useless, as the average song is only around 3.5 minutes. At that short length, it would be more of a teaser slideshow for my clients! Common...
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2010
    You can cheat and merge 2 songs into one song file and upload that to animoto. I did that a while back in a video I did for my grandparents anniversary. We picked out 4 songs and edited them so that they blended the transitions in Final Cut/Soundtrack. I had to do this to make sure that all of the photos had time to appear in the video.

You might want to give that a try if you want more than one song per slideshow.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2010
    Animoto song length
    docwalker wrote: »
    You can cheat and merge 2 songs into one song file and upload that to animoto. I did that a while back in a video I did for my grandparents anniversary. We picked out 4 songs and edited them so that they blended the transitions in Final Cut/Soundtrack. I had to do this to make sure that all of the photos had time to appear in the video.

You might want to give that a try if you want more than one song per slideshow.
    Doc is right, you can merge songs together and that is what I have done. I use Adobe Soundbooth for the task. I would like to point out that you are still limited to 10 minutes in total length. I think that is for the song only, because I added some text that brought my video to about 10:03 in length. So to summarize, you are limited to 300 images and 10 minutes of audio.

I had a recent client that wanted all the pictures of the first year of their son's life made into a video and ran into some of these limits. While it is a little frustrating, Animoto is still a very good product and I don't know of any other service that could fill the needs I have for providing video for my clients. I suppose, if you were a video expert then you could create your videos using Adobe Premiere or Final Cut, but I don't have the expertise to do that. It's enough for me to keep learning my photography skills.