Replace Photo function not working

BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
edited May 25, 2011 in Bug Reporting
I touched up a few photos I've had online since 2009. I used the Replace function, and it said they uploaded and changed the date stamp (under Info), but the photos themselves don't change and haven't in ~30 minutes. I did the owner-download function to compare side-by-side, and even those are not the new images, so it's not just the display engine. For example, on this one, in addition to some burning and dodging, I cloned out the bright stone structure centered horizontally and ~25% from the bottom of the frame.

But it's still displaying this:

669961832_6rAE5-L-6.jpg

Any ideas? Just wait longer?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    Thanks for the post - I'm not sure what's up but we'll check into it.
    edited May 22, 2011
    Fixed?
  • BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2011
    I was working with customer support yesterday, and last I've seen she was pinging someone else. I'll check.
    edited May 22, 2011
    One of the images I was trying has been replaced by SM support (I emailed it), but I still don't seem to be able to do it myself. I am using tools - this photo - replace, and I changed the filename. It looks like it works, but when I go to info the filename hasn't changed.

Trying uploader / allowing replacements has pretty much the same result. It says it completed, but nothing changes (including the date stamp).

hmm... I'm going to upload one the usual way (not replacing) and see if it goes through.

Thanks for looking into this Andy/SM team.

Edit: I can still upload directly, just not replace.

new: i-KwWkB6t-S.jpg old: 669962038_zukb4-S-6.jpg
    edited May 22, 2011
    I replaced this image for you this morning http://www.hypercontrast.com/Travel/Croatia-2009/9850050_ejWn7#669961832_6rAE5 it is displaying the new one for us, I wanted you to verify.
    edited May 22, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    I replaced this image for you this morning http://www.hypercontrast.com/Travel/Croatia-2009/9850050_ejWn7#669961832_6rAE5 it is displaying the new one for us, I wanted you to verify.
    Sorry - yah: that's the one I meant when I said "One of the images I was trying has been replaced by SM support". It's also the one I tried re-replacing this morning to no avail.
    edited May 23, 2011
    Anything new? I tried replacing the photo Andy did just now. It took a few minutes, and returned this message: "We got your new file! It may take a minute or two to finish replacing, click here to return to your gallery while you wait." But the image still has the filename as Andy uploaded it and is dated 5/21.
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    Thank you for the heads-up on this issue. I was going to use replace for the first time, and I think I'll just delete and re-upload to save any additional aggravation.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
    edited May 24, 2011
    We fixed the problem that caused this, replace away! thumb.gif
    edited May 25, 2011
    We fixed the problem that caused this, replace away! thumb.gif

Awesome! I'll do so ASAP.

Thanks SM team!
    SamirD wrote: »
    Thank you for the heads-up on this issue. I was going to use replace for the first time, and I think I'll just delete and re-upload to save any additional aggravation.

I would have done so, but I didn't want to add old photos to my recent photostream. Also you lose views and voting that way.
    edited May 25, 2011
    On second thought, it still seems to be acting the same.

Tried two files; no changes on the site either to the image or the modified date.

Might it be a browser issue (using firefox4)?
    edited May 25, 2011
    Blackwood wrote: »
    On second thought, it still seems to be acting the same.

Tried two files; no changes on the site either to the image or the modified date.

Might it be a browser issue (using firefox4)?
    Please write our Support Heroes with details of the image you are trying to replace, thanks.
    edited May 25, 2011
    Please write our Support Heroes with details of the image you are trying to replace, thanks.

It's the same issue I already sent them, but okay.

Here's how it plays out for me (sorry for the small snapshots - I'm remoting via my phone).

First, a comparison of what's online to what's local. The only difference at this point is the filename (online is the one you put in).

c6e4d217-4187-19ab.jpg

Then I go to replace it.

c6e4d217-41a8-bebf.jpg

c6e4d217-41b4-cdc6.jpg

A few minutes later I get a confirmation.

c6e4d217-41cb-0370.jpg

And after waiting a bit and checking the online photo, nothing has changed.

c6e4d217-41e7-b298.jpg

I suspect the files are too similar and it doesn't recognize them as being different. I say that because I have a functioning workaround. I replace the photo with a completely different file, which it takes, and then replace that with the one I want, which it takes.