Options

For Argar

Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
edited July 13, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
Two recent images using the Canon 70-200:

Monkey_Black_11-XL.jpg

Fireworks2014-1-XL.jpg
Constructive Criticism Welcome!
All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II

Comments

• Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2014
    Great capture on fireworks, which I have not been able to do yet.

#1 grabs my attention. However, I think I would like see a little more pop to it - not sure exactly what it is. Perhaps use of levels in PS, which what I often do. That one tool can do wonders for an image. A little more separation from the background.

I hope you don't mind that I copied the first image and worked with it using Levels in PS. Here is what it looks like after using Levels - black, white and gray.

Monkey_Black_11-XL%20modified-XL.jpg
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 12, 2014
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2014
    I, too, prefer the original. In the adjusted version, the heightened highlights in the animal's fur and in the wood perch begin to fight for attention with that stunning white " beard ". Well done.thumb.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2014
    Tom and Angelo, looking back I can see you points. I did reedit the image and use Levels for only the head and I like the results. I hesitate to include the recent edit in this posting, because it is not my photo and not sure if it would be proper to do that.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Neither of these were the final prints that were made. As Phil suggested on the fireworks I did brighten up the image and darken the blacks to get more pop. But, the monkey was left closer to number 1. The reason was that it was more interesting to people who saw the actual proof prints. Every single person who saw my proofs ended up spending way more time looking at the less bright image than the brighter image. For whatever reason, the less bright image made them spend a lot of time just admiring the details. Perhaps it is as Tom said, with a brighter image there would also have needed to be some burning of the non beard highlights.

It is always interesting to get the feedback, as those that are more experienced can bring out a lot of options that us rookies might not have even considered.
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II