New smugmug - simple previous / next photo navigation gone?

Comments

• rhiturajrhituraj Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    I know it's beside the point, but have you guys tried using the key board right/left arrow keys? Those worked for me to navigate the photos in smugmug style.

Camera - $1700, Lens - $900, Memories - Priceless | www.rhitusworld.com
  • dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    You used to be able to click on a picture to open it larger in the light box and then click on it again to go back to the thumbnail page.
    Now the only way to close the light box is to click on a tiny X in the upper right hand corner that takes careful aim.

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    rhituraj wrote: »
    I know it's beside the point, but have you guys tried using the key board right/left arrow keys? Those worked for me to navigate the photos in smugmug style.

yep, it works for us. Probably not so obvious for our clients though.
  • Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    You used to be able to click on a picture to open it larger in the light box and then click on it again to go back to the thumbnail page.
    Now the only way to close the light box is to click on a tiny X in the upper right hand corner that takes careful aim.

Cheers,

I agree with you! That little change bugs me too. I keep wanting to click outside the photo to close it. This could confuse some less savvy viewers and result in them just closing the page.
    Photographic Artist Amber Flowers of Soul Gaze Photography, LLC.
    SmugMug setup & customization services. Contact me! :D
    Proud & helpful Smugger since 2009. Please hire me for Support Hero!!
    I first contacted Jill V. in April 2011 & I even wrote a poem.

• AtlpenAtlpen Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    What other photo hosting sites are out there? I have decided to try another site while waiting to see if this place can get it together.
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Originally Posted by dennismullen viewpost.png

Cheers,

I agree with you! That little change bugs me too. I keep wanting to click outside the photo to close it. This could confuse some less savvy viewers and result in them just closing the page.

I just can't stand stuff that's "improved" to the point of having to take careful aim, to be deciphering tiny icons, and gripping a mouse while guiding it with great precision... all when it could just be a simple click anywhere, or an obvious hover-message, etc. We want to have hope for the technology of the future. This doesn't inspire it. I've already had viewers even in the past get frustrated with trying to figure out stuff. How would they possibly get through it at all now? I've been thinking about this, & I think one thing that happens besides who/knows/who doing the designing, is that the bulk of the testing is done by users here who are very tech-savvy, not people who've never been to the site or aren't used to browsing photos umpteen times a day.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Calm Light PhotosCalm Light Photos Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    I'm on the fence at the moment about the changes. I tend to use "smugmug" mode for the gallery style, and the one thing so far that is annoying me is that the previous and next arrows for flicking through the photos in the gallery has gone. This might seem trivial, but when watching people flick through my photographs on the old smugmug, that is what they tend to use - and is also what I tend to use. Without that, you have to keep finding where you are in the collection of thumbnails on the left, and watching people do that, it seemed a little haphazard as they'd sometimes miss a photo or 2.

You could argue that people will just click on the thumbnail of the photo they want to see, but for some galleries I have the photos in order of taking and I'd like it to tell the story of the event the gallery represents. A lot of people just want to "look through" a gallery one by one.

I tried to customize the site and assumed there's be a "photo navigation" drag and drop, which seems a really obvious option to have, but I couldn't find one.

Am I missing something?

I know there is a previous and next when you click on the photo and go into full screen mode, but for some reason I prefer not to do that.

One other thing; I do miss the old "info" box that came up. It was far less intrusive (semi opaque), and easier to open as the little semi-opaque toolbar appeared over the photo just near where your mouse would be when using the previous / next navigation buttons...

PS - having said all that, great job on the writing of the new site; I'm a software engineer myself and can see a lot of work has gone into it, and I know how hard it is to please everyone..

I use the smugmug mode as well and if you click on the first photo, it will go into lightbox mode, or full screen, and then you will see arrows on either side of the photo. This is also true if you play the slideshow - arrows on both ends.
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    I use the smugmug mode as well and if you click on the first photo, it will go into lightbox mode, or full screen, and then you will see arrows on either side of the photo. This is also true if you play the slideshow - arrows on both ends.
    Arrows on complete opposite sides of images are absolute silliness. This requires taking time to look & see where your mouse is going instead of looking at the photo. It requires aim, rather than simply keeping the mouse in one spot. And also, so many people are never going to go into lightbox mode or fullscreen, especially when there are multiple other issues with those modes. (seeing reports of them all over DGrin today, & saw some of them myself). What people are saying is that these are multiple steps backwards, and throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Arrows on complete opposite sides of images are absolute silliness.
    Plus, captions disappear if people choose to view the large images one at at time.

The best work-around is to somehow make it clear to viewers that they should use their keyboard arrow keys to advance to the next photo. I haven't figures out how to make it clear yet to viewers, but until they change this design back to something more usable it is the only thing I can think of.
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    I just can't stand stuff that's "improved" to the point of having to take careful aim, to be deciphering tiny icons, and gripping a mouse while guiding it with great precision... all when it could just be a simple click anywhere, or an obvious hover-message, etc. We want to have hope for the technology of the future. This doesn't inspire it. I've already had viewers even in the past get frustrated with trying to figure out stuff. How would they possibly get through it at all now? I've been thinking about this, & I think one thing that happens besides who/knows/who doing the designing, is that the bulk of the testing is done by users here who are very tech-savvy, not people who've never been to the site or aren't used to browsing photos umpteen times a day.

I agree. It is quite frustrating. I also am curious about their beta testing. I never heard about it and would've loved the opportunity. I work with people of all computer skill levels and could've helped. I hope they fix this...at least it's a simple complaint unlike most of the others since the reveal. thumb.gif
    Photographic Artist Amber Flowers of Soul Gaze Photography, LLC.
    SmugMug setup & customization services. Contact me! :D
    Proud & helpful Smugger since 2009. Please hire me for Support Hero!!
    I first contacted Jill V. in April 2011 & I even wrote a poem.

• southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Bring the arrows back
    PLEASE bring back the arrows for next/prev photo. Also, why not have something to show which image you are viewing in the thumbs area. That seems like a basic need. Had to customize my legacy site to do that.
  • picturebikepicturebike Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    why not just put it back like it was, page numbers at the top clearly visible same with photo numbers, next/prev arrows and an obvious download tab.

Makes no sense to me what so ever, i can not go live like this as will just confuse my clients and i will loose business :/
  • picturebikepicturebike Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Thing is clients will get frustrated and there frustration will ultimately be aimed at me as they will think whys his site so un user friendly how stupid, i have dozens of existing clients that i have set up personal galleries with there photos, as they purchase new pictures i just add them to there existing gallery. now everyone of those clients are going to be completely baffled when they go in there gallery...
  • rdalrtrdalrt Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Agree with most everything in this thread.

It took awhile but I have my site to a point where I could use it. Really, the only thing keeping me from going live right now is the darned next/previous photo navigation issue. Once fixed, I could go live. If not fixed, I guess I look for another host. Yes, this really could be a deal breaker for me.
  • billwbillw Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Just adding my vote for the return of the nav arrows.
  • JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013

Cheers,
    I never click that "tiny X" to close any lightbox or full screen mode image. I have always used the ESC button.

Until these fixes come about, have any of you thought to take the extra step to make an instruction page with an explanation? Not only will your clients know how to navigate, it will demonstrate that you care enough to explain.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
    edited August 2, 2013
    Until these fixes come about, have any of you thought to take the extra step to make an instruction page with an explanation?

I know that Amber (Soul Gaze Photography) has instructions on her site (in an FAQ section). It is buried pretty deep but at least she has assistance for her viewers.

I have been thinking about how to provide some simple instructions on navigation, but haven't acted yet. I am naively thinking this will get "fixed" soon.
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
    edited August 2, 2013
    GaryBakker wrote: »
    I know that Amber (Soul Gaze Photography) has instructions on her site (in an FAQ section). It is buried pretty deep but at least she has assistance for her viewers.

I have been thinking about how to provide some simple instructions on navigation, but haven't acted yet. I am naively thinking this will get "fixed" soon.

I think this is a perfect C-Y-A moment. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
    edited August 2, 2013
    I never click that "tiny X" to close any lightbox or full screen mode image. I have always used the ESC button.

Until these fixes come about, have any of you thought to take the extra step to make an instruction page with an explanation? Not only will your clients know how to navigate, it will demonstrate that you care enough to explain.

I disagree. The interface should not require explanation.
    edited August 2, 2013
    I think this is a perfect C-Y-A moment. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    If you come up with something that is both effective and unobtrusive, post it here. I am not above plagiarizing a good idea. :D
    edited August 2, 2013
    billw wrote: »
    The interface should not require explanation.

Absolutely correct. But in the meantime ...
    edited August 2, 2013
    I disagree. The interface should not require explanation.

Go ahead and leave your customers in the dark about it and just bounce off of your site.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    edited August 2, 2013
    GaryBakker wrote: »
    If you come up with something that is both effective and unobtrusive, post it here. I am not above plagiarizing a good idea. :D

Haha...I'm not good at that kind of stuff so you better look somewhere else for that. :D
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    edited August 2, 2013
    rdalrt wrote: »
    Agree with most everything in this thread.

It took awhile but I have my site to a point where I could use it. Really, the only thing keeping me from going live right now is the darned next/previous photo navigation issue. Once fixed, I could go live. If not fixed, I guess I look for another host. Yes, this really could be a deal breaker for me.

Its not the only thing stopping me go live, but its top of the list right now. I'm not going to put a "here's how to navigate through 'my' unintuitive user interface" page up. The only alternative is to spend time (that I don't have) finding a gallery layout that will do the same thing in the meantime. Or not switch over.

Do any of the other layouts number the photos? So a client can ring me up and refer to number 167 in the gallery? Doesn't look like it. And are there any instructions telling me what the 'default' gallery style is for each of the 20 site designs? I'm guessing there aren't 20 unique gallery designs.....

"If something can't possibly go wrong, it will. The difference between something that might go wrong and something that can't go wrong is that, when something that can't go wrong goes wrong, it's impossible to find or to fix."
    edited August 2, 2013
    Go ahead and leave your customers in the dark about it and just bounce off of your site.

Obviously if smugmug won't fix it then I'll have to. My point is that I shouldn't have to fix it.
    edited August 2, 2013
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Its not the only thing stopping me go live, but its top of the list right now. I'm not going to put a "here's how to navigate through 'my' unintuitive user interface" page up. The only alternative is to spend time (that I don't have) finding a gallery layout that will do the same thing in the meantime.

Do any of the other layouts number the photos? So a client can ring me up and refer to number 167 in the gallery? Doesn't look like it. And are there any instructions telling me what the 'default' gallery style is for each of the 20 site designs? I'm guessing there aren't 20 unique gallery designs.....

"If something can't possibly go wrong, it will. The difference between something that might go wrong and something that can't go wrong is that, when something that can't go wrong goes wrong, it's impossible to find or to fix."

I used "shadow" as the base of my site and I can see the image numbers under each image. I use SmugMug as the gallery style.

Sometimes you have to be proactive about helping your customers. If you know it is a known issue, than it is up to you to inform and direct until the issues is resolved. You don't have time to set up your site, but you have time to get on here and say what you aren't going to do and why in length? Sounds to me that you practice good time management. IMO
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    edited August 2, 2013
    Obviously if smugmug won't fix it then I'll have to. My point is that I shouldn't have to fix it.
    My point is why punish your customers for something that is out of your control. Take control and help them.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    edited August 2, 2013
    You don't have time to set up your site, but you have time to get on here and say what you aren't going to do and why in length? Sounds to me that you practice good time management. IMO

If I could resolve the numerous issues Smugmug has introduced with my site in the time it takes to make a forum post, I'd be happy.
    edited August 2, 2013
    paulbrock wrote: »
    If I could resolve the numerous issues Smugmug has introduced with my site in the time it takes to make a forum post, I'd be happy.
    You've made at least three posts in 15 mins. I'm sure you could have put something on an "FAQ" page in that amount of time.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    edited August 2, 2013
    Crap. I just realized that on a mobile device, since there aren't any keyboard arrow keys, there is no way to advance to the next photo (Smugmug style). And of course, if you go into lightbox or slideshow mode the captions disappear.

Tested my site with my iPad.