Options

Hate the new smug mug

2»

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited November 11, 2015
    1pocket wrote: »
    It looks like I found the option??? Now you have me confused because when I look at either of my Smugmug sites, I see Smugmug both at the top and the bottom of the home page
    Oh, I see - you have 2 sites listed in your signature and I only looked at the first one.

Did you click to the settings for that site as noted in this post and change the selections for header and footer?

--- Denise
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited November 11, 2015
    How do I change the slide show speed? The new slide show seems to be only sloooooowwwww. (The old slideshow had slow-med-fast playback options always available right within the viewer)
    Go into the Customizer (Customize -> Content and Design) and click on "Homepage". Next, click on the slideshow, you'll see a new window open with the options. In there you'll see playback settings, one of which is duration per slide and another transition speed. You can enter your own value, in seconds, to make it as fast or slow as you'd like! No more confusion on what "slow", "medium" or "fast" means.
    How do I actually add new design blocks in the customize site window? When I try to add I get a warning asking me to click in certain areas -- actually I was trying to add new areas to the left of the slide show for some kind of basic text "About me" sort of thing.
    Again, in the Customizer, make sure you're on the "Content" tab. Expand the sections until you find the content block you'd like, in this case "Text". Click on it and drag it onto the area of the screen you'd like. It'll light up green and you'll see a "D" pad showing you where, in relation to other content blocks on the page, it'll land (for example, if it's pointing to the left, it'll be to the left of your slideshow). Let go of the mouse and it should be placed. Click on the new content block to configure the settings / enter your text.
    Can I add an "About Me" page or are we stuck with exactly three predetermined page choices? (Home-Browse-Search)
    Yep -- you can create as many Pages as you'd like. Just go into the Organizer, select the folder you'd like it to live in (or even in your top root level) and click on "Create" -> Page. Give it a name, then exit the Organizer, open it, and open the Customizer.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2015
    Can I add an "About Me" page or are we stuck with exactly three predetermined page choices? (Home-Browse-Search)

Sorry - I know Aaron has answered this question. But I just spent the last 40mins trying to post answers to all of your questions - with screenshots of each step and I kept getting error about post having too many characters. So I tried a few different methods and finally got this on to work.

Steps:
    Go to organize
    i-fKFNmhF-S.jpg

Click on "CREATE" (left hand side)
    Choose "PAGE"
    i-MscVjh2-Th.jpg

Fill in the details

Click on "Done"
    Now go to Customize > Content and Design > then drag whatever content blocks you want on this page and enter the text/slideshow/photos etc that you want. Save and Publish

You will probably then want to create a link on you menu bar for that.
    Go to home page > Customize > Content and Design > Entire Site > highlight the menu bar content block and select the wrench

Select the "LINKS" tab - scroll to the bottom and click on the "+"
    i-2V5Ck6j-M.jpg

Fill in the details.
    NOTE: in the "Link to" setting, click on URL blah blah and choose "Page: choose"
    Then in the line below just navigate to the "About Me" page that you created
    i-bz5Gkkv-M.jpg

Then click on the LINKS tab at top to go back.
    You can then click and drag the link you just created to any position on the list - that's the order it will appear on your menu bar
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2015
    Thank you for your detailed response -- when I next have time (one of the issues of the change, lol) then I will try these new suggestions.

In the meantime I did learn that the Smugmug logo at the top of the pages appears only when I am logged in -- not when I am logged out -- so that is no longer a concern. Likewise, the "Copyright Smugmug" text only seems appear when I am logged in. However, when I log out there is a "Powered by Smugmug" at the bottom instead. Is that one locked in or is it removable?
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2015
    leftquark wrote: »
    Go into the Customizer (Customize -> Content and Design) and click on "Homepage". Next, click on the slideshow, you'll see a new window open with the options. In there you'll see playback settings, one of which is duration per slide and another transition speed. You can enter your own value, in seconds, to make it as fast or slow as you'd like! No more confusion on what "slow", "medium" or "fast" means.

Again, in the Customizer, make sure you're on the "Content" tab. Expand the sections until you find the content block you'd like, in this case "Text". Click on it and drag it onto the area of the screen you'd like. It'll light up green and you'll see a "D" pad showing you where, in relation to other content blocks on the page, it'll land (for example, if it's pointing to the left, it'll be to the left of your slideshow). Let go of the mouse and it should be placed. Click on the new content block to configure the settings / enter your text.

Yep -- you can create as many Pages as you'd like. Just go into the Organizer, select the folder you'd like it to live in (or even in your top root level) and click on "Create" -> Page. Give it a name, then exit the Organizer, open it, and open the Customizer.
    Okay, I followed these instructions to change the playback speed for the slide show, but it only changes the speed of the playback for the slideshow in the home page -- not for galleries. I guess I will keep looking for how to change it within the galleries :(
    My humble gallery...

www.poolinaction.com
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited November 12, 2015
    ...when I log out there is a "Powered by Smugmug" at the bottom instead. Is that one locked in or is it removable?
    CSS to remove it can be found at http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations/Sitewide/Remove-SmugMug-Footer.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2015
    Okay, I followed these instructions to change the playback speed for the slide show, but it only changes the speed of the playback for the slideshow in the home page -- not for galleries. I guess I will keep looking for how to change it within the galleries :(

See if this works:
    1) Open up a gallery
    2) Customize > Content & Design
    Make sure ALL galleries is selected (red rectangle)
    Click on the wrench next to Gallery (red circle)
    i-3Sqph5q-M.jpg

3) Click on the Slideshow arrow
    i-MMD2N2D-M.jpg

4) Change the Slideshow speed setting
    i-Vkr5npG-M.jpg

Done > Done > Done > Publish
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2015
    AceCo55 wrote: »
    See if this works:
    1) Open up a gallery
    2) Customize > Content & Design
    Make sure ALL galleries is selected (red rectangle)
    Click on the wrench next to Gallery (red circle)
    i-3Sqph5q-M.jpg

3) Click on the Slideshow arrow
    i-MMD2N2D-M.jpg

4) Change the Slideshow speed setting
    i-Vkr5npG-M.jpg

Done > Done > Done > Publish
    Thank you for your detailed instructions. I did it -- now I need to figure out if it actually happened, lol.
    My humble gallery...

www.poolinaction.com
  • Options
    glammanglamman Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2015
    sara505 wrote: »
    Nobody hates the new smug mug more than I do. And no, I don't want any solicitations. I wish there were an easy way to move nine years' worth and thousands and thousands of photos someplace else. HATE IT!

I totally agree!
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2015
    Yes, I think the most frustrating things to me are the things I can no longer do in the view I want to have while doing them. Arranging images on a screen that looks nothing like how they'll be viewed makes absolutely no sense. (i use the other arranging too, but not for a couple pics at a time). And if I told you how many thousand times I've gone to click on the gallery description area & there's no "edit" clicker-- :bash That part is truly awful. Can't imagine what they were thinking. Well, good luck. Deep breathe. Play some very fast Irish reels when you're cooked. --Anna Lisa

Every time I upload a picture to a gallery with hundreds of pictures in it, it is dropped at the bottom of the gallery and I have to to go into organize, wait for the icons to draw, and drag it back up to the top. :soapbox

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2015
    glamman wrote: »
    I totally agree!

?????? - and another post that highjacks the OP's thread headscratch.gif
    The OP is gradually solving each of their problems and learning how the new interface works.
    Maybe everything will still not be ideal for the OP - but this is their thread.

Your comment adds nothing to help the OP nor yourself.
    It is simply a rant.

You have a decision to make - either make the best of what New Smug offers or move to another site.
    And if the argument is "oh Ive got thousands and thousands of photos" then you still have the power to decide.
    As a matter of interest - I didn't like my photos being POSSIBLY vulnerable to a POSSIBLE future action ... and it was important enough for ME so I went through EVERY gallery on my site and deleted every single photo and then re-uploaded every single one of them again (with the changes that made ME feel comfortable). Luckily I only had 30,000+ photos in nearly 500 galleries. Yes it took a damn long time - but that's the choice I felt had to be made. Just as you now have a choice.

I didn't come on here and just belly-ache about it ... I just did it because that's what I decided I needed to do.

Similarly, YOU have the power to make a decision. Stay with Smugmug and make the best of what feature set and the interface as you can. If you can't live with because you hate it so much, make the decision to move your photos to somewhere that has the feature set you can live with.

But there is NO point in ranting here - it will not achieve anything.
    You think Smugmug are going to say - "ooooh, someone hates the NewSmugmug ... maybe we should let them stay in Legacy. Yes let's do that".

I'm afraid that ship has sailed. Legacy is gone and you now have the choice of staying with the NewSmug and working to make it and your website better ... or ... leave and start with another provider.
    It IS that simple - but only you can choose.
    But stop the pointless "I hate it too".

My apologies to the OP for going off on a tangent. Let's hope this thread gets back to helping the OP achieve what he is looking for (or can live with)
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2015
    glamman wrote: »

I totally agree!
    Every time I upload a picture to a gallery with hundreds of pictures in it, it is dropped at the bottom of the gallery and I have to to go into organize, wait for the icons to draw, and drag it back up to the top. :soapbox

Cheers,

In Organizer, have you tried changing the "Sort by ...." to "Sort by Date Uploaded" (Top right) and click whatever AZ or ZA option will give you the latest first. Then if you add another photo to that gallery it will always appear first???
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2015
    In Organizer, have you tried changing the "Sort by ...." to "Sort by Date Uploaded" (Top right) and click whatever AZ or ZA option will give you the latest first. Then if you add another photo to that gallery it will always appear first???

Smugmug took away that option in manual sort.

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2015

Cheers,

????? It is not part of manual sort - it is another choice of sorting in addition to manual sort
    See screen shot
    i-dGb3J6j.jpg

but, at my age, I could certainly be misunderstanding the problem!!!
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited November 21, 2015
    ...I could certainly be misunderstanding the problem!!!
    Yes, I think you are. Dennis's problem is that he wants to keep a large gallery sorted manually but wants new additions to it to go to the top rather than the bottom. In legacy one had that choice, but currently, new additions to manually sorted galleries all go to the bottom.
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2015

Cheers,
    Richard wrote: »
    Yes, I think you are. Dennis's problem is that he wants to keep a large gallery sorted manually but wants new additions to it to go to the top rather than the bottom. In legacy one had that choice, but currently, new additions to manually sorted galleries all go to the bottom.

Aaaaahhh ... yes I was. Thank-you.
    In my situation, I couldn't conceive of why I would want to sort the new additions manually after they were added to the top of the gallery. I'm not saying you shouldn't want to do that - just it has never been in my thought process as to why I would want to do that.

Good luck in your quest for a solution.
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2015
    As others mentioned, it's not possible at this time, but we'll certainly keep it in our mind as we move forward. I can understand why people would want either option: new uploads to the end or new uploads to the beginning. The way Old SmugMug did it was super un-intuitive, so we'd have to do a much better job of bringing that feature/setting about.
    dGrin Afficionado
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2015
    Drop the term "sort" for this tool, too
    Somehow I'd thought this "manual sort" capability while still adding new images to the top of the gallery had gotten fixed. Too bad-- I had been thinking of a new type of gallery that would've used this. Anyway, if & when this tool gets a change, the wording used should also be changed. I've never understood SmugMug's use of the term "sort" or "sorting" for this job. It's not a standard English usage; it's just weird. To sort items is to put them in various categories or containers or whatever according to their size, color, function, etc. ("sort" as a noun also means the same as "type" or "variety", so that gives us a clue as well) It has nothing to do with arranging items in a certain order. It bugs me every time I see the term being used this way. A correct term that people can understand at a glance should be used, like "arrange". People shouldn't be thinking "huh"? when they see the name of a tool like this. When asked to sort bolts at a mechanic's shop, I sure didn't put them in a line-up from small to large or newest to oldest! Or when you sort your laundry...
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2015
    Somehow I'd thought this "manual sort" capability while still adding new images to the top of the gallery had gotten fixed.
    We fixed the bug that was causing it to re-sort itself but the strange loophole that caused uploads to go to the top wasn't brought back. It's a good feature request though!

[QUOTE=WinsomeWorks;2016874
    Anyway, if & when this tool gets a change, the wording used should also be changed. I've never understood SmugMug's use of the term "sort" or "sorting" for this job. To sort items is to put them in various categories or containers or whatever according to their size, color, function[/QUOTE]
    I tend to agree with you here, it's definitely more "arrange" than Sort. In this case, the entire photography industry has it wrong (look at what Adobe calls it, "sort") and we've gone ahead and adopted their terminology. I think most people are trained to understand it, though you're certainly correct in the sense that each "sorting method" doesn't have anything in common (each filename is different, each time stamp is different, etc).
    dGrin Afficionado
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited November 22, 2015
    leftquark wrote: »
    The way Old SmugMug did it was super un-intuitive, so we'd have to do a much better job of bringing that feature/setting about.
    Yes, it wasn't at all clear for the new user. It's been a long time, but I suspect that I discovered the behavior by accident. Still, once you knew, it did come in handy. It shouldn't be hard though to come up with a UI widget for manual sort that makes the insertion point options clear. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2015
    Somehow I'd thought this "manual sort" capability while still adding new images to the top of the gallery had gotten fixed. Too bad-- I had been thinking of a new type of gallery that would've used this. Anyway, if & when this tool gets a change, the wording used should also be changed. I've never understood SmugMug's use of the term "sort" or "sorting" for this job. It's not a standard English usage; it's just weird. To sort items is to put them in various categories or containers or whatever according to their size, color, function, etc. ("sort" as a noun also means the same as "type" or "variety", so that gives us a clue as well) It has nothing to do with arranging items in a certain order. It bugs me every time I see the term being used this way. A correct term that people can understand at a glance should be used, like "arrange". People shouldn't be thinking "huh"? when they see the name of a tool like this. When asked to sort bolts at a mechanic's shop, I sure didn't put them in a line-up from small to large or newest to oldest! Or when you sort your laundry...

Microsoft Word, Excel etc also uses the term "sort" for sequencing.
    So does Adobe "Bridge"

It may not be standard English usage, but in the world of technology, "sort" does mean to sequence or order.