Options

Smugmug Browse Galleries

JriseboJrisebo Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited December 8, 2015 in SmugMug Support
I used to be able to browse galleries by keyword....i.e. sports, railroad, etc. Now, it allows me to still pick a keyword, but I have to rifle thru all the results, it does not break it down by persons gallery anymore, so I cant just browse thru gallerys.
Any other way to sort by gallery, using the most recent uploads?

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2015
    Hi and welcome to DGrin! wave.gif
    The way photo keywords work hasn't changed in recent times as far as I know. If you click on the keyword below a photo, it'll show you all photos that have the same keyword on your site.
    Visitors would also be able to use keywords in public galleries. Of course, clicking on any keyword, would only display the photos from public galleries to visitors.

In case this isn't what you're looking for, could you describe in more detail what you've done in the past and also include a link to your site / a specific example?
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2015
    You used to be able to goto smugmug.com/browse. Then you would pick a topic, ie. sports, woodworking, boating, etc, and it would show each gallery, and then you click each gallery for all the pics. Now its seems you pick the keyword, and it shows every picture from every gallery.

Just want some way to see latest galleries uploaded that are public for the categories or keyword.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2015
    The categories from the old browse page were a system that only existed on the old SmugMug. It required you to pick one of our preset categories (or create your own - however those were not included on the browse page) when you created a new gallery.

The folder system on the New SmugMug that replaces the old category system comes with much more flexibility as you can have many levels of folders. The use of folders is now optional as well and due to the way the folder system works, there are no longer any presets that could be used as the source for the browse page.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2015
    This brings up something I was wondering about in New SmugMug-- I originally had some of my Category (now Folder) titles identical to the SmugMug "official" categories. I was considering changing some of them, but wondering whether there was any reason anymore (and perhaps there never really was) to keep them the same as those "official" old categories. I think what you're saying here is that there aren't even any "official" categories anymore, so there's no reason to try to keep them standard or whatever... I may as well change them if I like another word better? (I do realize I could now break some links if I do so... but in the particular folders I'm thinking of, I don't think I've given out many links. I think it'll break links on my blog though since they were previously all matched up with SmugMug.)
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited November 5, 2015
    This brings up something I was wondering about in New SmugMug-- I originally had some of my Category (now Folder) titles identical to the SmugMug "official" categories. I was considering changing some of them, but wondering whether there was any reason anymore (and perhaps there never really was) to keep them the same as those "official" old categories.
    There is no reason not to change your folder names as you desire.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2015
    I originally had some of my Category (now Folder) titles identical to the SmugMug "official" categories. I was considering changing some of them, but wondering whether there was any reason anymore (and perhaps there never really was) to keep them the same as those "official" old categories. [...]
    (I do realize I could now break some links if I do so... but in the particular folders I'm thinking of, I don't think I've given out many links. I think it'll break links on my blog though since they were previously all matched up with SmugMug.)
    Yes, you may rename any of the folder names to your liking. If you also change the custom url setting (which is what's used for the link), the links for the folders and galleries in it would change and thus would break links you may have given out in the past. Other than that, there's no reason not to rename them.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2015
    So basically it is best now to use a search and select newest galleries?
  • Options
    user4imageuser4image Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 8, 2015
    I am another user that wants to comment on this and misses the old browsing capability.

Is there a way now to view uploaded images/galleries almost real-time for each category like weddings, competitions, photography, other, etc.... like you had a few months ago. This was an amazing feature that allowed users to view public images based on category, user, and upload time. There currently is no capability to do this now. The search feature with newest or the browse by topic is not the same. Those images posted for these was not as real-time as the previous browsing capability. I preferred the older smugmug browse with category and gallery posts. At one time too you could go back beyond 100 pages and see posts in these categories from years ago.