Options

Canon 70D sharpness issue

juliejulesjuliejules Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
edited August 27, 2014 in Cameras
Hi all,

I got a Canon 70D a couple of months back, and I've not been happy with my results. Mostly I feel like all my shots are soft. So I set about performing a lens test, but could not see any appreciable difference between the lenses. So I then decided to compare cameras, and the 70D is definitely softer.

The picture below is a screen capture of Lightroom compare (zoomed 2:1). The photo on the left was taken with the 70D and the photo on the right was taken with my old 40D. I used the same lens (Canon EF24-105) and manual exposure (1/200, F5.0, ISO 200) for both shots. Also, using the Canon tool, I verified that the focus point of both photos is the worm's head. It's a Parsley Worm, by the way.

My question is, what do I do now?

ParsleyWormSideBySide-L.jpg
--juliejules
http://www.juliejules.com
Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L, Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, Canon Ext 1.4x II, SpeedLite 430EX

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited August 27, 2014
    That's not a good test. Put your camera on a tripod, and aim it at a dollar bill taped to the wall, as square as possible. Zoom in all the way and get as close as you can so the dollar bill fills a good portion of the frame. Set your camera to F/8 or thereabouts. Use your self-timer or a remote shutter release and take a picture. See how that looks.
  • Options
    juliejulesjuliejules Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    That's not a good test. Put your camera on a tripod, and aim it at a dollar bill taped to the wall, as square as possible. Zoom in all the way and get as close as you can so the dollar bill fills a good portion of the frame. Set your camera to F/8 or thereabouts. Use your self-timer or a remote shutter release and take a picture. See how that looks.

Thanks for your reply. The test was good enough to prove that the problem lies in the camera, not the lens. I have since done more research, and a lot more tests, and it may possible that I have the dreaded "70D focus issue". There is a focussing problem, widely reported in Germany, that is quite controversial. Some folks claim it's just user error combined with hysteria. It's not clear what Canon is doing about the problem, if it really exists.

My symptoms do not exactly match those claimed by others. For example, the issue supposedly occurs using lens F2.8 or faster, wide open, using the center focus point, and the view finder. I have issues at a variety of stops and while using zone focussing. In fact, the photos I have taken using only the center focus point are, by and large, sharper than when using zone focussing. Another claim is that if Live View is used (as opposed to the view finder), the focus problem does not occur. This point I verified myself in a quick test.

There is a painfully long thread (85 pages) over on another photography forum: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1354075

There is theory that the alignment of focussing points may be a problem. I have done the recommended tests to find the edges of the focussing points, and mine are definitely way off. Whether or not this is the "same problem" remains to be seen. Nevertheless, I may have to return the camera or send it off to Canon.
    --juliejules
    http://www.juliejules.com
    Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L, Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, Canon Ext 1.4x II, SpeedLite 430EX
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited August 27, 2014
    When I see blurry images, the first question is if the camera/lens is stable and not moving, hence the suggestion for a tripod and a cable release. This is even more important for close up macro shots, even at 1/200th of a second. Even though you are sure of your ability to hand hold satisfactorily, Canon Factory Service will want to hear that the focusing issue persists with the camera and lens on a good tripod, and tripped with a cable release, before they authorize return, I suspect.

If you are confident that camera movement is not the issue, and that the lens is not at fault, then, yes, the camera body may have to go to Canon Factory Service for evaluation/repair, or replacement.

I own a 70D and have been quite pleased with mine, and think it compares quite favorably with my 7D in terms of auto focus accuracy, and the touch focusing in Live View is quite handy.

Round trips to CFS in New Jersey, for my gear, averages less than 7 business days, so talk to Canon CFS and get it sorted out.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/standard_display/support_pro/pro_service-locations

I shot a fair number of birds in flight in Iceland with my 70D with what I felt was credible success. Some of those images here here - http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/Travel/In-Iceland-with-Marc-Andy-et/41045993_FfbRDd#!i=3269855827&k=R8JH6v5

You will have to check the exif data as I was using more than 1 body, but many of the birds were captured with the 70D.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin