Options

Well deserving kudos!

AlexSharkAlexShark Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
edited September 11, 2014 in Cameras
Hi Guys!

Haven't been here a while, but I have to share this. My 1Ds Mk III is getting old, I was one of the first to get it, so it's, what, 5-6 years old? I lost count. And I really don't like the 1D-X, it just doesn't feel right, and it's huge and heavy, and I'm getting old, older than my 1Ds. So I opted for 5D Mk III.

The next question was, where do I buy it? Browsed around, didn't go straight to Adorama this time. And... found an absolute super place! 100% positive on eBay with some 30k transactions, and a real store in NY. If you know what you're buying and it is something common -- check this place out. Don't hesitate to call, their prices drop when you do!

http://www.profeel.com/index.php/

I called, and they put together a package for me: 5D Mk III body, GPS, original grip, 2 extra batteries, free 2-day shipping -- all at amazing price.

And the camera? I'm playing with it!

10635935_10152724739562425_3460385010278818584_n.jpg
Photography is about what does not meet the eye
Be my guest: Alex Braverman Photography

Comments

• Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2014
    AlexShark wrote: »
    Hi Guys!

Haven't been here a while, but I have to share this. My 1Ds Mk III is getting old, I was one of the first to get it, so it's, what, 5-6 years old? I lost count. And I really don't like the 1D-X, it just doesn't feel right, and it's huge and heavy, and I'm getting old, older than my 1Ds. So I opted for 5D Mk III.

The next question was, where do I buy it? Browsed around, didn't go straight to Adorama this time. And... found an absolute super place! 100% positive on eBay with some 30k transactions, and a real store in NY. If you know what you're buying and it is something common -- check this place out. Don't hesitate to call, their prices drop when you do!

http://www.profeel.com/index.php/

I called, and they put together a package for me: 5D Mk III body, GPS, original grip, 2 extra batteries, free 2-day shipping -- all at amazing price.

And the camera? I'm playing with it!
    MG]

sometimes I give a well deserved kudos to the refurb store
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2014
    Not sure how 1/4 of a lb makes a difference in a camera, especially comparing the 1Dx to the 5D3, but it all comes down to what you are shooting. If it's sports, there is no comparison to the 1Dx. While the 5D3 has the same focus system it doesn't have the dedicated processor for focusing and it does make a difference.

Shooting Landscapes, slow moving people, commercial, turtles crossing a street? A 5D3 will be just fine.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited August 31, 2014
    Shooting Landscapes, slow moving people, commercial, turtles crossing a street? A 5D3 will be just fine.
    I guess [thread=232274]this guy[/thread] didn't get the memo.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    I guess [thread=232274]this guy[/thread] didn't get the memo.

easy to get action shots with the 5D3
    but I would prefer something like a 1D series if I shot sports every week
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2014
    I'd be interested to see how either a 5d3 or a 1Dx copes under certain situations.
    Low(ish) light (both angle and amount) or backlit + AF (and pov) point less than 6in above water, distant, fast moving, small(er) subject ... + the act that a Tc would (probably) need to be added to the (existing long lens) mix as both are FF.

pp
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2014

Excuse me, I don't think there's anything wrong with the action on this piano.

5D3_8588.jpg

5D3_2562-X3.jpg

5D3_3027-X3.jpg

5D3_1391-X3.jpg

5D3_7484-X3.jpg

5D3_6860-X3.jpg

fichl_31-X3.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    I am not taking sides here, but one real difference, at least for sports and wildlife shooters, is that the 5DMKIII shoots at a max of 6 frames per second, and the 1DX shoots 12 fps and up to 14 fps with the mirror locked up. This may be important for a few folks. Won't be for most folks. The files from the 5DMkIII are slightly larger than those from a 1DX, again this may matter to some folks, but both will make fine double truck ( two page size ) prints.

The AF of my 1Dx is the only camera I have ever used that will track birds in flight behind tree limbs, without losing the birds when the re-emerge. The addition of subject color to AF lock in AI Servo really does seem to work. But the AF of the 5DMkIII is very, very good too.

Both are great cameras, and I would choose which to use, based on their size and weight, unless I needed specific abilities for the upcoming shoot.

I envy my spouses 5DMKIII when we travel because it is smaller, lighter, shares batteries with a 7D or 70D ( hence no different, larger battery charger to drag along ), and is a very fine camera with lovely files.

My spouse is much more concerned with the weight of a camera/lens than I am, but sometimes she is smarter than I am too.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    Indeed the fps of the 5D3 can be a limitation sometimes, but is double the fps worth double the price?

Another idea if fps is important and you're on a budget would be the forthcoming 7D Mark II, which was just "leaked" today to have 10fps. I predict it will come in at about $1800.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    I haven't been paying attention to Canon rumors lately, but this does sound quite promising if true - http://www.canonrumors.com/category/photography/canon-7d-mark-ii/

The AF system of the 70D with the iTrac technology of the 1DX suggests superb AF ability with 10fps shooting and ~ 20Mpxls. That sounds very appealing. We should know within a few weeks, maybe?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    pathfinder wrote: »
    I haven't been paying attention to Canon rumors lately, but this does sound quite promising if true - http://www.canonrumors.com/category/photography/canon-7d-mark-ii/

The AF system of the 70D with the iTrac technology of the 1DX suggests superb AF ability with 10fps shooting and ~ 20Mpxls. That sounds very appealing. We should know within a few weeks, maybe?
    If it's true, I'll be on it like flies on, well, I'd be on it. Let's just leave it at that. nod.gif