Options

New to DSLR and needing some help.

John ProphetJohn Prophet Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited August 20, 2014 in Cameras
Hello,

I just upgraded from a Fujifilm 36x optical zoom (I forget the exact model, but, it is a bridge camera with a shutter speed of 8 seconds - 1/2000) to a Canon T3 kit that came with a 18-55 mm lens. My biggest interests are moon/night photos, long exposures of the stars/rivers, action shots of wild life, and time lapse.

I was able to get a great deal on a damaged lens. It is the 75 - 300 mm with no IS. It's been chewed by a dog and has some minor scratches on the rubberized section of the lens. The lens has two small scratches very close together, but, after about 200 shots in day light and at night I see no indication of the scratches or lens flare. I got the lens for $19.98, I'm pretty happy with it.

The only real damage (as far as i'm concerned) is the filter ring at the very end is missing. The three mounting screws for it are still there and are fine. So long post for a short question, will the filter ring from a canon G5 work with my T3 lens? If need be I can add a link to the posting. And any advice anyone has for me would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2014
    Assuming you're satisfied enough with the performance of your $20 lens that spending a bit more money / time to 'sort it out' is acceptable, then several courses of action come to mind.

Do nothing.
    Find out how much the correct part would be from a Canon service centre.
    Check local cam shops (if any around) / fleabay etc for a similar lens - but with a filter ring - being sold as spares / repairs. (in the past I've bought completely knackered lenses for £5 from a local shop - just for the bits I wanted)
    Consider using step up / stepdown filter adaptor rings of an appropriate size and use some epoxy / superglue :)
    etc

Whilst I don't have either the lens or a G5, I suspect you'd be (very) lucky to find that they'd 'talk to each other' re filter rings.

pp
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2014
    Yep, honestly I wouldn't bother protecting a $20 lens. Just use it, and don't bump it into anything! Unless you absolutely need lens flare protection, in which case as mentioned a step-up ring and some super glue might do the trick better than anything else.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    John ProphetJohn Prophet Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 17, 2014
    Well I think I like the idea of getting the same lens for parts on ebay I've seen them fairly cheap. I felt like I got a great deal with the lens it's perfectly functional. Just don't like the end of it always being open and would like the option to put a lens cap on it.

This puts me at having the 75-300mm af, a 55 - 250mm with is/af, and the 18 - 55 mm is/af. I'm considering picking up a bower 500mm lens and a 2x lens to go with it. I can get both on amazon for $139. It's a completely manual lens and I'm on with that because I would only use it for either zoomed in shots of the moon to capture a bit more detail. But my line of thinking on that might be way off. I've seen some nice photos that were 300 mm with 2x digital zoom. I'm not sure if that digital zoom was done in photoshop or if it's a feature of the camera. Still learning about my T3 and photography in general.

Thanks again for the advice. :o)
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2014
    ... Just don't like the end of it always being open and would like the option to put a lens cap on it.

Maybe consider using the plastic tops off containers ... or even the containers themselves (modified / cut down) ... and lined with cardboard / duct tape to get a decent friction fit.

Has worked for me in similar circumstances ... including using a circular baking tray for a 500 f4 :)

pp
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2014
    Well I think I like the idea of getting the same lens for parts on ebay I've seen them fairly cheap. I felt like I got a great deal with the lens it's perfectly functional. Just don't like the end of it always being open and would like the option to put a lens cap on it.

This puts me at having the 75-300mm af, a 55 - 250mm with is/af, and the 18 - 55 mm is/af. I'm considering picking up a bower 500mm lens and a 2x lens to go with it. I can get both on amazon for $139. It's a completely manual lens and I'm on with that because I would only use it for either zoomed in shots of the moon to capture a bit more detail. But my line of thinking on that might be way off. I've seen some nice photos that were 300 mm with 2x digital zoom. I'm not sure if that digital zoom was done in photoshop or if it's a feature of the camera. Still learning about my T3 and photography in general.

Thanks again for the advice. :o)

yes, your "line of thinking is off" - save your money for better lens
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2014
    I like Matt's idea SUPER GLUE and a ring....
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    360productphotographer360productphotographer Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 20, 2014
    I would not suspect the Canon G series filter ring to work with your Rebel's 18-55 nor the 75-300