Options

Fuji XM1, XA1, or XE1 ?

DeputydawgDeputydawg Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited August 4, 2014 in Cameras
I am looking to add a Mirrorless camera to my stable of Canon DLSR gear. Already have a 60D, and a 7D with a rounded selection of lenses however, I am looking for something smaller and not as bulky or intimidating for when I do street photography, go Kayaking or just to keep in the car handy and not be as heart broke if I dropped it. I really like the reto looks of the Fuji XM1, XA1, and XE1 and from what I have found the reviews are pretty close and all are the best depending on what video you watch or article you read.

What one do you think would be best. Are they really worth the price difference? other than the benefit of the view finder on the XE1 which would be a plus? Image quality is prob my most important need due to some of the pics will be for resale in prints and cards. I always shoot in RAW and post process in lightroom. Thanks for your help

Comments

• Options
    MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2014
    I noticed nobody has responded yet, so I thought I'd toss in my two cents. Unfortunately it isn't worth much since I don't have any experience with Fuji, but I wanted to comment on going mirrorless. Last month I picked up a Lumix GH4 and I have to say that it is the most fun I have had with a camera ever. It is a mirrorless micro four thirds (m43) format camera, and although everyone on the internet can't stop talking about its video capabilities, I am finding it so much fun for stills as well. I'm a hobbyist, so take this for what its worth. I typically shoot with a Nikon D7000, D600, and a rented D4 during fall high school sports season. So far I only see myself keeping the D4 for sports, and leaving the rest behind. I forgot how much fun photography can be.

Good luck with your mirrorless journey. Hope you have the same experience I am.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2014
    I would go with the XE-1 for the controls. Dedicated shutter speed dial is a beautiful thing.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2014
    Since you already have a camera system, I would suggest the x100s as your starter x series if you want to get the joy back into photography. I just bought one used and it is a joy to use for people,candids, street and even landscape. It's a fixed lens which turns people off but it takes out much what if scenarios when composing.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2014
    jonh68 wrote: »
    Since you already have a camera system, I would suggest the x100s as your starter x series if you want to get the joy back into photography. I just bought one used and it is a joy to use for people,candids, street and even landscape. It's a fixed lens which turns people off but it takes out much what if scenarios when composing.

Oh... yeah... I didn't read the OP carefully. The X100S is a great addition for people who already have another system. No need to get another bag of lenses when the goal is traveling light. I have a 5D3 and a bunch of Canon lenses, and an X100S for grab-n-go. The 35mm FOV works so well for so many candid scenarios.

Went out to dinner on an island the other night, shoved the X100S in my pocket...

DSCF6029-X3.jpg
    (view from our table)
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.