Options

50D Sensor

karloznzkarloznz Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
edited September 21, 2014 in Cameras
Hi

I have been using canon 50d for several years now and it would seem that the sensor on this camera is actually poor in regards to High ISO noise in low light . In fact the light does not need to very low at all for this to become an issue, anything over 800 iso introduced more noise that I would have expected for this camera is this the experience of other who have used this camera model ?

Thanks

Carl
Carl Lea Wedding and event photographer - Wellington - Web Site

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited September 19, 2014
    You're not imagining it. According to sensor tests by DxO Labs, the 50D actually has poorer ISO performance than did the 20D. http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-70D-versus-Canon-EOS-50D-versus-Canon-EOS-20D___895_272_281#toggleBookmarks
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,798 moderator
    If you want blessings to upgrade to, for instance, a Canon 7D MKII, you have my blessings. I think that you would be pleasantly surprised. (The Canon 50D is from 2008, which is about three generations of imaging technology ago.)

If you want a markedly large improvement in high-ISO noise reduction, the Canon 5D MKIII, 6D and 1D X are all splendid in high-ISO noise signatures and very nice color rendition up to ISO 6400, or so.

For tips on optimizing the Canon 50D for low light situations:
    1) Nail the exposure. Underexposed images show noise when pushed to normal exposures.

2) Shoot RAW. RAW files intrinsically have more correctability than JPG files, and a modern software RAW de-mosaicing algorithm is much more efficient in producing cleaner output images than JPGs.

3) Use software noise reduction. My favorite RAW post-processing workflow for High-ISO images from older Canon cameras starts with Phase One Capture One RAW software (P1C1). It works splendidly to suppress both pattern noise and chroma noise. The result of P1C1 noise reduction, often with a bit of contrast reduction too, and I get fairly fine monochromatic noise which often is usable as it is. Additionally I may add some Neat Image noise reduction to just the shadow areas, and sometimes even some PhotoShop Despeckle or Dust and Scratches to just the darkest tones (for really bad noise problems). These last steps squash the shadow details, but that may be preferable to shadow noise in some cases.

4) In reduced dynamic range scenes, "Expose to the Right". It may be even preferable to slightly blow out unnecessary highlight detail in order to reduce noise. (Click here for the explanation.)

5) Try using an in-between (fractional) ISO. Some ISO settings may give the appearance of lower noise than the full-stop ISO settings. For instance try both ISO 1600 and ISO 1250, to see which offers a better visible noise for your style of shooting. (Do watch out for highlight clipping too.)

6) Make sure that ALO (Auto Lighting Optimizer) is disabled. ALO can exacerbate high-ISO noise on the 50D.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,798 moderator
    kdog wrote: »
    You're not imagining it. According to sensor tests by DxO Labs, the 50D actually has poorer ISO performance than did the 20D. http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-70D-versus-Canon-EOS-50D-versus-Canon-EOS-20D___895_272_281#toggleBookmarks

Using that link, click on the "Measurements" tab, then select "SNR 18%", making sure that the "Print" setting is also selected. This shows an normalized chart of an 8" x 12" print at 300 dpi. This demonstrates that printed images will fair slightly better, in terms of noise, using a Canon 50D versus a Canon 20D. Likewise images resampled to a more normal screen resolution will display less noise in a Canon 50D versus a Canon 20D comparison.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited September 20, 2014
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Using that link, click on the "Measurements" tab, then select "SNR 18%", making sure that the "Print" setting is also selected. This shows an normalized chart of an 8" x 12" print at 300 dpi. This demonstrates that printed images will fair slightly better, in terms of noise, using a Canon 50D versus a Canon 20D. Likewise images resampled to a more normal screen resolution will display less noise in a Canon 50D versus a Canon 20D comparison.
    Ok. now click on ISO Sensitivity and you'll see that the 50D is worse than the 20D. I'll confess to not understanding the relative importance of the two metrics, but it seems like the 20D sensor indeed does do some things better than the 50D. No?
  • Options
    codruscodrus Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    kdog wrote: »
    Ok. now click on ISO Sensitivity and you'll see that the 50D is worse than the 20D. I'll confess to not understanding the relative importance of the two metrics, but it seems like the 20D sensor indeed does do some things better than the 50D. No?

I've shot with both of those cameras, the 50D is significantly better than the 20D when you look at an overall image. Pixel peeping when one camera has twice the pixel density of the other is not useful. The 50D has about a 1-stop advantage in ISO performance (that is, similar whole-image-level noise at ISO 1600 to what the 20D had at 800).

That said, anything modern is going to blow the 50D away. It's looking like the 7D2 is another 1.5 stops better than the 50D. 6 years of technical advancement will do that. :)

--Ian
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    codrus wrote: »
    I've shot with both of those cameras, the 50D is significantly better than the 20D when you look at an overall image. Pixel peeping when one camera has twice the pixel density of the other is not useful. The 50D has about a 1-stop advantage in ISO performance (that is, similar whole-image-level noise at ISO 1600 to what the 20D had at 800).

That said, anything modern is going to blow the 50D away. It's looking like the 7D2 is another 1.5 stops better than the 50D. 6 years of technical advancement will do that. :)

--Ian
    15524779-Ti.gif I shot with a 20D and am currently using a 50D. On the 20D, anything above ISO 400 could be noisy and anything above 800 was almost certain to be; the 50D is one stop better, in my experience. As Ziggy pointed out, getting the exposure right reduces the problem. Also, ACR noise reduction has improved greatly over what it was like when I was using the 20D, which helps, though I generally use NoiseWare on shots at ISO 3200 or higher.
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    Yes, the 50D gets noisy at relatively low ISOs. Still, I think it is a capable camera. Ziggy's advice is spot on, although I never use fractional ISOs. I find that with proper exposure, the 50D is essentially noise free at ISO 200. I have used one for 6 years, and while I own a 5d3 as well, I still use the 50D when higher pixel density helps, in particular, in handheld macro at close to 1:1.
  • Options
    karloznzkarloznz Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2014
    Hey that just some awesome . Thanks so much for your details responses.
    Carl
    Carl Lea Wedding and event photographer - Wellington - Web Site