Options

Tweak the New Visitor Gallery Download Button

leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
edited September 29, 2015 in SmugMug Customization
Today we're pleased to announce the ability to allow visitors to download an Entire Gallery without requiring you, the owner, to generate the download link. You can read the announcement here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=2001226

I'd like to offer a few pointers on how to tweak it:

1) Access the Download All button using the CSS class:
.sm-gallery-download-button

2) Hide the button (which you can do in Gallery settings, but if you'd like to do it sitewide you can add it to your Entire Site or "All Galleries")
/* Hide the visitor download all button */
.sm-gallery-download-button {
  display: none;
}

3) Change the "Download All" button text:
/* Hide the "Download All" button text */
.sm-gallery-download-button .sm-button-label {
}

/* Change the "Download All" button Text */
.sm-gallery-download-button .sm-button:after {
  content: ' Customize Me';
}
dGrin Afficionado
Former SmugMug Product Team
aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations

Comments

• Options
    ApipesApipes Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2015
    Customizing when not allowed?
    Sorry if this isn't the correct place to post -- but this situation is driving me nuts because it was doable on the legacy version and now maybe not -- and I'm not sure where to post..

It seems that in the new SmugMug, if "hide owner" is turned on, that there is a lot of customization that can no longer be done, even if specified in "All Galleries" like you indicated in your thread (such as hiding the one download button but not both). I have that exact CSS specified for "All Galleries", but it is ignored..

Do you perhaps have any other ideas on how to get the "download all" button not to be displayed, but the "download the big pic" to indeed still be displayed?
    (or conversely, how to get the gallery address in the URL not to show actual/full path to the gallery-- another way to "hide the owner" so I can retain customization abilities?)
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    Apipes wrote: »
    It seems that in the new SmugMug, if "hide owner" is turned on, that there is a lot of customization that can no longer be done, even if specified in "All Galleries" like you indicated in your thread (such as hiding the one download button but not both). I have that exact CSS specified for "All Galleries", but it is ignored..
    Hide owner by definition hides all traces of your customization. From the help page Can I hide the account owner information for a gallery?:
    Hide Owner will remove the nickname from your URL and make it completely SmugMug.
    Your custom Banner will be replaced with the SmugMug banner. This will also remove all customization on the page.
    Links to your homepage won't appear, only the gallery name will.
    Have you tried setting the Download button in gallery settings Photo Protection section to Off and leaving access to the Original-sized images?

--- Denise
  • Options
    Hide owner by definition hides all traces of your customization. From the help page Can I hide the account owner information for a gallery?:

Have you tried setting the Download button in gallery settings Photo Protection section to Off and leaving access to the Original-sized images?

--- Denise

Thanks so much for responding! Yes, I have tried that (In Gallery settings>Photo Protection, Max Display size = original, Right-click protected = off). If, I turn off the Download Button, then I lose both of the download buttons. If I turn it on, then I get both (and I don't want the "Download all" button, but do want the "download the big picture" button).

I want my viewers to only be able to download one at a time, but at the original resolution.
    It used to be so easy on the legacy version (even when "hide owner" was on), because of that folder icon that would appear when hovering over the big picture.

They can now still download an original resolution picture (even if there are no download buttons) -- but without the download buttons, it is not obvious at all (have to click on the big picture, then in the lower right, select the desired resolution, then right click > save).
  • Options
    Apipes wrote: »
    Thanks so much for responding! Yes, I have tried that (In Gallery settings>Photo Protection, Max Display size = original, Right-click protected = off). If, I turn off the Download Button, then I lose both of the download buttons. If I turn it on, then I get both (and I don't want the "Download all" button, but do want the "download the big picture" button).

I want my viewers to only be able to download one at a time, but at the original resolution.
    It used to be so easy on the legacy version (even when "hide owner" was on), because of that folder icon that would appear when hovering over the big picture.

They can now still download an original resolution picture (even if there are no download buttons) -- but without the download buttons, it is not obvious at all (have to click on the big picture, then in the lower right, select the desired resolution, then right click > save).

-- with additional investigation, I have found that I can actually leave "hide owner" turned off and achieve what I wanted. In the legacy version, if hide owner wasn't on, then a user to your page could traverse the URL and go to all sorts of places on your site that you didn't want them to go to (even if everything was private, they could still see all the thumbnails). With the new Smugmug, I have found this not to be the case. If I go to any other "sub-destination" on the URL (in which they're all private/unlisted), it shows a page not found message (I also understand these are customizable -- for a future day!). I can then customize as desired (e.g. using CSS to display just the single-photo-download-button), etc. I'm still tweaking on the CSS, but at least I have that option, whereas before I didn't...!!!!
  • Options
    maximus96maximus96 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited September 29, 2015
    How do I hide the "Download All" button from my visitor but keep it for myself? When I remove it in Gallery Setting the button is gone for me as well. Thanks
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    maximus96 wrote: »
    How do I hide the "Download All" button from my visitor but keep it for myself? When I remove it in Gallery Setting the button is gone for me as well. Thanks

This isn't the fanciest code, but it does work:
    }

/* Turn the download all button back on for site owner */
    .sm-user-owner .sm-gallery-download-button {
      display: inline-block !important;
    }

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    maximus96maximus96 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    leftquark wrote: »
    This isn't the fanciest code, but it does work:
    }

/* Turn the download all button back on for site owner */
    .sm-user-owner .sm-gallery-download-button {
      display: inline-block !important;
    }

sweet! thank you!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    I have never used download all. I have it turned off except for my family galleries. If I need it I just go into
    gallery settings and turn it on. Download ALL then turn it back off. I use the download a single photo all the
    time especially for uploaded phone photos to edit but it only shows when logged in.

Hiding it with CSS can be overridden with web tools.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog