TFP wedding coming up - couple of questions from a complete newbie to weddings

RezenRezen Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited May 3, 2010 in Weddings
So, I've participated in weddings as a groomsman and best man, and I'm married myself... but honestly I never paid attention to the entire photography process.

Next weekend (5/8), I'm doing a TFP wedding for a friend of mine. First wedding that I've ever shot! My wife (who arguably has a better eye than I do...) will be my backup. The bride & groom know that we're novices/amateurs... we're doing this as a favor to them since they can't afford professionals. We're also hoping to parlay this experience into something more than amateur work. Either as supplemental income or more ideally, replacement income ;)

Tomorrow my wife and I are heading out to the venue to "scout" the venue ... see how everything is laid out, any strange lighting or buildings, in an attempt to be better prepared for next weekend.

My main questions are (both for the pre-wedding "meeting" and the wedding itself):

1. should we bother taking any sample shots tomorrow during the pre-wedding meeting? It's a lot of gear to take out somehwere, but, being novices, we want to do our best for our friends and "get it right", especially since we're planning on using the best shots for our portfolio. (side question - we have a standard TFP contract ready for the couple to sign - any other suggestions, warnings, or advice in that regard?)

2. should we bring our tripod(s)? even just for the portraits before the actual ceremony, they are heavy and large and unwieldy. The portraits/ceremony is to be outdoors in the hot Texas sun, so lighting shouldn't really a problem. Fill flash should suffice.

3. any questions I should ask the bride/groom tomorrow, aside from what photos they expect?

4. The bride has expressed some interest in video recording of the vows - and my camera supports it (canon 7D), but that would reduce the number of images from the vows portion of the ceremony quite a bit. My wife would still be taking pictures, but I wouldn't be able to without interrupting the filming. Should I just advise against it? I'm thinking the video of the vows would be more memorable than a few stills... but I'm not a professional (yet!) ;) Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Apologies if these questions have been answered (and I'm quite sure they have in some form or other)... just running quite short on time here.

Thanks!

-Rezen
The best camera in the world is the one you have with you.

Comments

• SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    I might suggest that you check out these previous threads started by another wedding newbie. My guess is that you will get similar responses from the users here, many of which are experienced professionals. Weddings are not something to take lightly or to go into ill-prepared. Your post leads me to believe that you are doing just that. The fact that you appear to already be shortcutting - asking if you should bother to take sample shots, bring a tripod, etc. - is really cause for concern.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=153086

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=157917
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • RezenRezen Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    Surfdog wrote: »
    I might suggest that you check out these previous threads started by another wedding newbie. My guess is that you will get similar responses from the users here, many of which are experienced professionals. Weddings are not something to take lightly or to go into ill-prepared. Your post leads me to believe that you are doing just that. The fact that you appear to already be shortcutting - asking if you should bother to take sample shots, bring a tripod, etc. - is really cause for concern.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=153086

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=157917

Thanks for the links.

Just a wee background; I've never used a tripod in my photography with the exception of shooting the moon. To date, I've always been a "hand held natural light" (e.g. no flash) kinda photog, and I've never been asked to do a wedding before. If a friend hadn't asked me do her a favor, then I probably would still be wandering around taking hand-held natural light pics ;) So flash photography and tripod photography are kind of uncharted waters for me. My friend knows this and is cool with this; she is just happy to have someone (anyone) take a few pics of her wedding.

So I'm just trying to do my due diligence with regards to whether a tripod is needed. Hence why I'm going out to the venue today :D I can't for the life of me remember whether or not the photogs at the various weddings I've been in used a tripod or not. I can imagine that they probably did at least for the portraits, but even then I'm not sure. Regardless, I'm more than happy to lug around a 20 pound tripod, it makes no difference to me :D Just trying to see what other wedding photogs do in this regard.

Thanks again for the links, I'll check 'em out.

-Rezen
  • SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    You might look into getting a good monopod. Much smaller, lighter, and more mobile in situations where you just need to steady the camera.

Good luck!
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    fyi

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=83750

I would bring a tripod and leave it in the trunk. The only time you might use one is during the group shots though you can certainly do with out.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited May 2, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    fyi

I would bring a tripod and leave it in the trunk. The only time you might use one is during the group shots though you can certainly do with out.

Thanks for the link Qarik, excellent read! Wish I had seen that earlier. lol

So one more question, and this is more for my wife's benefit: what kind of shoes do female photogs generally wear for long events? My wife is going nuts trying to figure out what shoes to wear since we'll be on our feet for 4-5 hours.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :D
  • smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    So one more question, and this is more for my wife's benefit: what kind of shoes do female photogs generally wear for long events? My wife is going nuts trying to figure out what shoes to wear since we'll be on our feet for 4-5 hours.

I'm loyal to Sketchers, but any comfy, non-slippery soled, dressy looking flats will do.
    edited May 3, 2010
    smurfy wrote: »
    I'm loyal to Sketchers, but any comfy, non-slippery soled, dressy looking flats will do.

Hah, that's what I'm planning on wearing (black Sketchers "dress" shoes). My wife ended up ordering some pure black Sauconys. :D
  • ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Water. Bring lots and lots of water. Someone gave me this tip when I first started weddings and it was a life saver! Find out if there is flash allowed at the church or not, and if not make sure that you definitely fire off some test shots. And I always bring my tripod with me but I haven't, as yet, had need for it, other than to do a quick set up of a photo booth as requested by the bride and groom (last minute, of course). Have fun!!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Rezen wrote: »
    Thanks for the links.

Just a wee background; I've never used a tripod in my photography with the exception of shooting the moon. To date, I've always been a "hand held natural light" (e.g. no flash) kinda photog, and I've never been asked to do a wedding before. If a friend hadn't asked me do her a favor, then I probably would still be wandering around taking hand-held natural light pics ;) So flash photography and tripod photography are kind of uncharted waters for me. My friend knows this and is cool with this; she is just happy to have someone (anyone) take a few pics of her wedding.

So I'm just trying to do my due diligence with regards to whether a tripod is needed. Hence why I'm going out to the venue today :D I can't for the life of me remember whether or not the photogs at the various weddings I've been in used a tripod or not. I can imagine that they probably did at least for the portraits, but even then I'm not sure. Regardless, I'm more than happy to lug around a 20 pound tripod, it makes no difference to me :D Just trying to see what other wedding photogs do in this regard.

Thanks again for the links, I'll check 'em out.

-Rezen
    My knee-jerk reaction to the above (especially the bolded) was to suggest you do your friend another favor and suggest she retain the services of a professional. But, then the softer side kicked in (helped by your second paragraph:D) and I suggest you PRACTICE a lot!

Rezen wrote: »
    Qarik wrote: »
    fyi

Thanks for the link Qarik, excellent read! Wish I had seen that earlier. lol

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :D
    My next suggestion is that you re-read my post (liked to by Qarik) again .... and again. It seems clear that you didn't retain it all the first time through.

Another suggestion - ensure you have the equipment to do the job. Backups are critical if you don't risk the possibility of disappointing your client. Do you have fast quality glass? No? Rent it at least a week before the event so you can practice. You have a tripod? Bring it. You don't use it much .... hmmmmm ..... PRACTICE until using it becomes second nature. You may not use the tripod but if you do, I would think you would like to look professional in your motions with little or no hesitation in setup and use. No?

Can you operate your camera in the dark? When you can't see the dials, buttons, or labels? No? If the reception is going to be indoors, PRACTICE doing so. Even if the reception is going to be outdoors at 3:00PM, you still need to be able to dial in changes without looking at the camera - it should be second nature. An inability to do so, if you have to spend time looking at and fiddling with the camera controls to make settings changes, will almost certainly result in you missing "the shot".

Did any of the sound a bit harsh? Good! It was intended to. It's a wake-up call!

I believe, if you take this a bit more seriously and with a good bit of planning, that you can return quite successful results. But doing so will require a bit of a mind shift on your part. When considering a preparation step, if you are wondering if you should or shouldn't - the answer is obvious - "Just Do It". If you are going to do this then do it 100%. Don't cut corners. It will show and everyone will be just that little bit disappointed with the results.
  • LeeHowellLeeHowell Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    I have to say that most people step into the roll of wedding photographer via this avenue, and you are doing the right thing by getting some answers to your questions before the big event, as opposed to scratching your head afterward...I still use images from my very first wedding in my portfolio. So don't let the jitters get hold of you and make you second guess yourself. You were asked because someone knows you are capable...We all have to start somewhere.

Enjoy the opportunity and you'll know after your feet are aching (even in your new shoes) and the night is over if this is something you really want to pursue.

I don't know what all is in the linked threads that others have provided - No doubt some very very helpful info...The best advice I can give you is:

(1) Get the shot, just don't get in the way

(2) Use your 7D to part the sea and make sure you're not just snapping shots with the rest of the family.

(3) Don't be afraid to crank your ISO, and remember you cranked it when you find light again.

(4) Bounce that flash