Barrel Race

Pyro1Pyro1 Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited March 2, 2016 in Sports
Shot with my 5DmkIII & Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II.

i-WLf75wn-XL.jpg

i-NL3Qr8W-XL.jpg

i-BNdqShB-XL.jpg

i-ZfGb5mK-XL.jpg

i-5M2rxjD-XL.jpg

Comments

• AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2013
    For me, #1.#2 and #4 are the standouts - so much power and coiled-up energy. Terrific illustration of rider and horse working as one.
    Really crisp - nice ISO performance from the 5D II
    I am a little uneasy with some of the crops. If they were mine, I would look at maybe 10% off right in #1, I'd love to remove the official on left in #2.
    #5 is interesting for me - again full of dynamic energy but fair bit of wasted space on left and right. However the killer for me is the red illuminated sign directly above the rider's head. I'm thinking aaarrrrgh!!! Just one of those unfortunate coming togethers that happen in fast paced action scenarios.
    I would be rapt if I had taken these - some are just begging to be framed singly or as a collage.
    Very nice work - I look forward to seeing more.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2013
    My younger sister rode gymkhana when she was a teenager so I remember watching her do these events many, many years ago. I agree wtih AceCo55 on the crops in some of these - especially lose the guy in the chair in #2. Also I would try to get rid of the clock in #5. By the way, numbering your photos makes it much easier to comment on them. My favorite is #2 but, again, I would crop it tighter. The only that really doesn't work for me is #4. There is no face and the broadside feels static to me. It looks like you were shooting these from inside the arena?
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Pyro1Pyro1 Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2013
    Yes, I shoot from the arena floor, I sit near the "Alley" , thanks for all the suggestions.
  • StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2013
    Pyro, I take shots of my son and his friends on a high school equestrian team...and I'm always trying to improve my technique. May I ask what your settings were in these shots? Was there some natural light available from windows to support the arena lights I see? Thanks!
    edited March 18, 2013
    Pyro, I take shots of my son and his friends on a high school equestrian team...and I'm always trying to improve my technique. May I ask what your settings were in these shots? Was there some natural light available from windows to support the arena lights I see? Thanks!

Very little light from the outside, in fact I had rather there not be. I can work with the indoor lighting, but when it mixes at different points in the arena, it throws off my WB.

Settings were 1/500th, f/3.2, ISO on auto normally around 6400. I set the camera up with the shutter speed & aperture setting I want, then let the camera adjust the ISO according. Shot in AL servo in case #2. Works for me.
    edited March 18, 2013
    0K7B7833-2-XL.jpg

One from a recent outdoor event.
  • StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2013
    Thank you, Pyro! That is very helpful information to me. That 6400 ISO would be so great...I shoot with a classic 5D, so not really possible for me. Some day... (maybe in time for my youngest son!)

That last shot is beautiful!!
  • AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2013
    That last shot is fantastic - talk about "power", "action", "speed", "skill", "synergy". Man that is an eye-catcher ...... but
    (nitpick time) is it straight? Look like it is leaning to the left - see barrel and electricity post???
    One helluva photo!!
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
    edited February 17, 2016
    I shoot free hand, it may be a little off.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2016
    Great shots, very skillful riders well captured
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2016
    nice set