Veteran's day Parade, San Diego, California

rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
edited November 20, 2010 in Journeys
It certainly was not a distant journey but, it was quite exciting and somewhat tearful (for me) as my wife, Judy, and I lead the 2010 San Diego Veterans Day Parade.

1097856679_pDGzL-L.jpg

I was honored to be selected as one of the parade grand marshalls and we led the parade behind the Marine Corps Color Guard and Band in this patriotic jeep.

Two jeeps of this type will begin a nationwide journey across the United States from the USS Midway Museum and Memorial in San Diego to the USS Antietam Museum and Memorial in New York City. The jeeps will be driven by many celebrities including three past United States Presidents between Memorial day 2011 and September 10th 2011 (the day before the 10th Anniversary of the 9/11 tragedy).

Duplicate patriotic "skins" for jeeps will be sold along the way and a scrapbook including photos and autographs will be kept for each jeep. The jeeps and the scrapbooks will be auctioned off aboard the Antietam on 9/10/2011.

All proceeds from the sale of the jeep "skins" as well as from the sale of the jeeps themselves and the scrapbooks will be donated to assist wounded American heroes.

Unfortunately, this is a posed picture after the parade was over. Our daughter had one of my cameras and was supposed to shoot us during the parade. However, as daughters often are, she was late and did not get to the parade route until after we passed...