Options

Yet another fall family session.....

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited November 3, 2014 in People
A friend for whom I've shot before asked me to do another batch for her. I've never been 100% satisfied with the results of our previous shoots (although thankfully there were always enough good ones to satisfy them), but was thrilled to FINALLY got some shots of them I really feel proud of. Gorgeous October afternoon, the 5yo was wonderfully cooperative (much more so than two years ago!!), and even though the 18mo was a wiggle worm, we still got some fun ones.

Natural light, or added flash in a 42" shootthrough. A handful were bounce flash on camera. Sigma 35mm or Canon 70-200is 2.8 II. Still deciding on processing style, so they're a little all over the place at this point; I'll make it more cohesive in the final set.

i-QGZfT25-XL.jpg

2. I am coming to the conclusion I HATE doing posed group shots lol Add that this little man wasn't gonna smile at me while he was standing still no matter what, so this is what I gotz. It'll do, I suppose, although I'm a bit "meh" about it - definitely prefer the other shots in the session....

i-vnGSSJG-XL.jpg

3. Ham sliced an inch thick! I'll take it - two years ago, she absolutely REFUSED to look at the camera; she was totally into it this time :)

i-nxvCCjL-XL.jpg

i-K5RDGDC-XL.jpg

i-VTpfjMH-X2.jpg

7. These I love, although still thinking about what to do with the extra playground equipment "stuff" going on. I may just leave it - not so aesthetic, but it's where we were, and everybody knows what it looks like....
i-dVNBQPk-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2014
    Love 3 & 5, seems like this is a very popular way of shooting family pictures...
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2014
    These are adorable.....especially like #1, #3, #5 and the second of the last one. Nice work!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2014
    Thanks! We had fun, although I'm not sure family shooting is ever going to be my "natural habitat". It's good times when it's friends, though!

(Also, I realise when I did the collages LR added a bunch of print sharpening, which is why they make look a little crunchy. Oops!)
  • Options
    trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2014
    Nice set! I avoid the focal length in #2 when posed/composed like that.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2014
    Yeah, it was kind of weird. I wanted the 35mm so I could step back and do a bog-standard classic lineup in the area where I got 3/5. However, we were at the bridge, they kind of lined themselves up and I just WENT for it, as young sir was clearly NOT going to put up with it for long! He's a sweetie, he's just at an age where staying put isn't gonna happen. So I shot what I could and then we moved on to the next set. We were hoping that when we got mom and little girl set up as in #5 baby brother would come over to see what was happening and we could quickly add dad in behind, but he was already off and running the other direction (dad in pursuit). Man, toddlers can be quick!! rolleyes1.gif

Fortunately, they prefer a more lifestyle vibe to shots anyway, and we got a couple of fun ones with the group of them playing with bubbles. Still working through the shoot, so maybe a few more will pop up that I've missed thumb.gif
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2014
    These are fun and think you captured the essence of their personalities. Well done!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2014
    what a FUN family!! :D
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    Reflections By BrianReflections By Brian Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2014
    Nice work! It looks like they really had fun doing this. My favorites are 3 and 5, but I really like 7 too. You definitely caputured the personality of the family.
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2014
    I do a lot of outdoor shooting. Families and such. I am constantly begging the women not to be constantly fussing with their hair (just like theater: don't touch your hair or your clothes) because it ruins an otherwise great shot. Such as above. The rest are very good, nicely done.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2014
    Really great, good work.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2014
    You know, I didn't even notice the hair! In a formal shot it would bug me, but here it doesn't as everything is in motion - just keeps it casual for me. But it's a VERY GOOD POINT!!!

Thanks for the kind words. I have REALLY struggled with family shoots to date - I always get a few that are ok-enough, but haven't felt any WOW factor until this batch, so I'm super-pleased. Only thing that still bugs me: I swear I will NEVER learn to autofocus moving subjects as crisply as I want and lost too many potential keepers to missed focus (it is completely my nemesis, and I have yet to figure out HOW to get round that - Jack and other sports shooters HOW DO YOU DO IT??!?!!) but other than that.... I am very happy with this set :D
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2014
    divamum wrote: »
    You know, I didn't even notice the hair! In a formal shot it would bug me, but here it doesn't as everything is in motion - just keeps it casual for me. But it's a VERY GOOD POINT!!!

Thanks for the kind words. I have REALLY struggled with family shoots to date - I always get a few that are ok-enough, but haven't felt any WOW factor until this batch, so I'm super-pleased. Only thing that still bugs me: I swear I will NEVER learn to autofocus moving subjects as crisply as I want and lost too many potential keepers to missed focus (it is completely my nemesis, and I have yet to figure out HOW to get round that - Jack and other sports shooters HOW DO YOU DO IT??!?!!) but other than that.... I am very happy with this set :D

I like the set and they should be pleased.

For sports and action, I like using AF-On button as my focus, and AF-C mode. In fact this is my setup for still photography as well. I can recompose the shot with af-on if needed since the shutter isn't the one gaining focus. With my Nikon cameras in AF-C mode the focus point will actually stay on the focus point if I move the camera to recompose as the camera thinks the subject is moving. It save from having to move the focus point around manually.
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2014
    yeah, I've tried the back-button focus thing, and never nailed it. I use one-shot, single-point for most of my work, and have NEVER figured out how to use AI/Servo etc. I keep trying, and maybe one day I'll figure it out - I know there are plenty of Canon spot shooters, so obviously it CAN be done and is user-error!!
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2014
    divamum wrote: »
    yeah, I've tried the back-button focus thing, and never nailed it. I use one-shot, single-point for most of my work, and have NEVER figured out how to use AI/Servo etc. I keep trying, and maybe one day I'll figure it out - I know there are plenty of Canon spot shooters, so obviously it CAN be done and is user-error!!

It's become second nature to me. I kept it from the days of shooting sports and news work and applied it to family sessions. When there are kids involved I don't have time to fool with exposure or AF settings. I rely on auto ISO after setting exposure and let the kids play. I treat family sessions like a sporting event.
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2014
    Sadly, the 5dII has CRAPPY auto ISO; have to move up to the 5d3 for that, and given current finances that's not happening for a while.. so I make do with what I have!
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2014
    For sports and moving subjects: With the 5D2 your only choice is the center AF point. Activate the 6 invisible helper points. Use AI Servo. Disregard AI Focus. The back-button AF is the better way to go but it requires retraining your brain. Whether you use back-button or shutter button AF, you need to keep the AF activated while tracking your subject, and right up through the moment(s) you squeeze the shutter button. It takes a second for the tracking to really lock on.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2014
    I really like #4 and #7. Shots that show personality make the best portraits!
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2014
    very very good 7b is just so great that you should put in your best ones easily.
    Btw how do you handle autofocus in such cases?

Alex