Options

Fitness with Erica

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited November 1, 2014 in People
This weekend I did a fitness shoot with Erica in a workout room with all natural light from floor to ceiling windows. As usual with me, no flash, no reflectors (and no assistants LOL). If Erica was 5'11" instead of 5'1" she'd be signed in NYC in a NY minute.

p597482892-5.jpg

p644696232-5.jpg

p563132280-5.jpg

p741723461-5.jpg

5. Not sure what this does for Erica but, as a photographer, I like the "infinity" mirrors
p913344903-4.jpg

p612337968-4.jpg

p989648822-4.jpg

and, of course,
p764351094-5.jpg
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2014
    Nice set and you were able to stay out of the mirrorsclap.gif
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2014
    No, no he wasn't. I see his leg in #5

#8 needs to be either airbrushed or cropped; belly doesn't look good.
    #4 is superb.

what was the story / target behind the shoot?
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2014
    Laughing.gif That's not my leg Foques. That's an equipment bag.

You're right about #8. Will go back and fix it up a bit.

Concept was exactly that, Fitness shoot in a gym setting.

Thanks D3. Believe me, with 3 walls of mirrors it was not easy.
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2014
    Esp love 4 thru 8. Great captures.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2014
    Thanks Hack.

Finding a gym with floor to ceiling windows was a truly lucky find. Of course, so was Erica. Laughing.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2014
    #4 is outstanding. #2 is too busy (c'mon, if your eye goes to the cubbies before the girl, it's distracting lol), but this is overall a strong set. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2014
    Thanks Diva. I am relieved you could find ONE you don't like. The inverse proportion is more normal. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2014
    Overall very nice!

Reading your comment about her height and modeling got me to thinking......................

While I don't know about the stats I do think from observation, that there are a lot of short folks in the world. Someone in the fashion world should put together a program, magazine, modeling agency, etc to fill the unaddressed needs of this demographics group.

There's a fortune to be made.

Sam
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2014
    Sam wrote: »
    Overall very nice!

Reading your comment about her height and modeling got me to thinking......................

While I don't know about the stats I do think from observation, that there are a lot of short folks in the world. Someone in the fashion world should put together a program, magazine, modeling agency, etc to fill the unaddressed needs of this demographics group.

There's a fortune to be made.

Sam

Not really. There is a specific reason why fashion models are in the 5'8" and up category and it has to do with how designers like to have their clothes appear on models. There just isn't a demand for fashion models below 5'8".

However, lifestyle, fitness, editorial and swimsuit modeling are not as stringent on height but it does help. People have tried to do as you suggest but there just isn't a demand for short models in the fashion industry.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2014
    jonh68 wrote: »
    Not really. There is a specific reason why fashion models are in the 5'8" and up category and it has to do with how designers like to have their clothes appear on models. There just isn't a demand for fashion models below 5'8".

However, lifestyle, fitness, editorial and swimsuit modeling are not as stringent on height but it does help. People have tried to do as you suggest but there just isn't a demand for short models in the fashion industry.

I had no idea that fashion designers were so limited in their capabilities they can't design clothes for actual people.

Also have difficulty in understanding why they only design clothes for six foot tall 100 pound women when the purchasers are a smidgen shorter and a few pounds heavier.

So sad.

Sam :D
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2014

Being in NY and having two actual fashion photographers as friends (one in "Vogue" type and one in catalogs) I have to sadly admit that this is dead on. I have had several STUNNING models who I discussed with each of them and the short story is 5'11 minimum for "High Fashion" and 5'8" or taller for catalog.

In High Fashion (ie: Runaway) the designer makes one sample outfit and the model is hired to fit the clothes, not the other way around. This lady was a NY Elite Agency model (5'11, size 2, 118 lbs)
    p577923092-3.jpg

She did runaway and couture and in 3 of 4 castings she heard "too short and don't fit the clothes" which is industry code for too short/too fat. It's really demented but there it is.

Catalog has a bit more relaxed requirements but 5'8" is still the minimum standard. Even then, a model better have great proportions (usually meaning no silicone, no big butt and perfect teeth). They also need to be "the look" that the art director is seeking. It's a huge crapshoot.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2014
    Sam wrote: »
    I had no idea that fashion designers were so limited in their capabilities they can't design clothes for actual people.

Also have difficulty in understanding why they only design clothes for six foot tall 100 pound women when the purchasers are a smidgen shorter and a few pounds heavier.

So sad.

Sam :D

I'm assuming you are joking but as Bilsen pointed out designers usually make one set of sizes for fashion shows and model shoots.

Movie stars will get exceptions but then the popularity of their name is worth designers giving them clothes that are below the norm for high fashion.

Designers and manufactueres do make clothes for "actual" people, but when it comes to marketing, photography sessions, and fashion shows they want exceptional models and that is models over 5'8".

Also, I thought fashion models were "actual" people too. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2014
    I'm assuming you are joking but as Bilsen pointed out designers usually make one set of sizes for fashion shows and model shoots.

Movie stars will get exceptions but then the popularity of their name is worth designers giving them clothes that are below the norm for high fashion.

Designers and manufactueres do make clothes for "actual" people, but when it comes to marketing, photography sessions, and fashion shows they want exceptional models and that is models over 5'8".

Also, I thought fashion models were "actual" people too. headscratch.gif

Only half kidding.

The number of woman in the US 5' 10" and taller is 0.07% If you up that to 5' 11" or 6' the number is smaller. Now if you then factor in they have not only be beautiful, but be thin enough to walk in a rain storm and not get wet the number is even smaller. Then factor in age...many agencies will not accept new models 21 or older. The average fashion model will only work in to her early twenties.

So the term "actual" was a creative euphemism for very rare group of people way out side the norm.

Below is a chart representing some of the pitfalls of this non existent ideal.

Disclaimer: I am not anywhere close to PC nor do I want any laws prohibiting the use of very tall and thin models I just think it would be nice if there were some reality put into play.

Health_Survey1.png
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2014
    Nice job. I'd have preferred 7 taken on her level. Maybe add a vignette to all of these?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2014
    Understood JM. I was sitting or lying on the floor all day so I took a few from a half crouch just to vary the POVs.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2014
    Gotcha. I think 5 might have been a home run if she and her reflections could have been equally spaced in the depth of the photo, and closer together in the width. Know what I mean?

Reading back through the height/size requirements for models, I no longer have any doubt that that industry is 100% insane. I think I've known only one women in my life who would qualify.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2014
    very good work thanks for sharing
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2014
    I agree about #5 JM. I suppose I could crop out the last 2 reflections and bring her more central but the whole infinity thing was intriguing.

Thanks alaois.