Options

A Little Patience Paid Off

Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
edited September 25, 2014 in Wildlife
I tried being patient and sitting where I thought birds might appear. After about an hour this little guy stopped right in front of me.

RL2_6594_2014-09-24-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2014
    Cute birdy!
  • Options
    Thanks. There's an awesome park basically next to my house with a varied set of terrain. Three weeks ago I started taking daily hikes with gear in hand. Something to sharpen the skills.

Here's anther blue bird about to launch itself into the air. I had slowly worked my way across a ridge trail, scanning for motion. I spotted this little bird fly to the spot you see it in. I then watched it through my viewfinder for about 15 minutes while it preened itself. I was waiting for just the right shot.

Not sure if I nailed it, but I like the image enough to share it here.

RL2_5260_2014-09-20%20%281%29-L.jpg
    It's been good exercise at times, trying to stand still in one spot...
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,909 moderator
    I like it. Would like to see a tighter crop so the bird is more prominent in the picture.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2014
    I cropped it down a tad. It does look nicer.
  • Options
    Darter02 wrote: »
    I cropped it down a tad. It does look nicer.

While you are doing personal requests......how about losing the green leaves from second!:D
    Actually love it as is.....but may make it less busy and that branch blue bird is perched on is just sneaking out of window in heaven.....will get full attention!

Cheers!
  • Options
    My problem with cropping it more is it's really going to begin to fall apart resolution wise. Both of these shots were taken at a good distance using a Canon 5D mrk III, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 with a 1.4x extender II. The last bird was a lot further than the one in the first photo. I'd LOVE to have a great piece of much longer glass, but it's hard to justify the price tag at this time. I make my money shooting weddings, and I can't see having to use 600 or > lenses for those. At least, not very often.

I had a quick walk earlier this morning, and spotted more bluebirds. If I get anything decent, I'll post it here.

Also, I really appreciate the critique. It nice a change of pace to get to talk about the image composition for a change.
  • Options
    Darter02 wrote: »
    My problem with cropping it more is it's really going to begin to fall apart resolution wise. Both of these shots were taken at a good distance using a Canon 5D mrk III, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 with a 1.4x extender II. The last bird was a lot further than the one in the first photo. I'd LOVE to have a great piece of much longer glass, but it's hard to justify the price tag at this time. I make my money shooting weddings, and I can't see having to use 600 or > lenses for those. At least, not very often.

I had a quick walk earlier this morning, and spotted more bluebirds. If I get anything decent, I'll post it here.

Also, I really appreciate the critique. It nice a change of pace to get to talk about the image composition for a change.

Oh I meant "cloning" them out....not cropping. The branch along with the bird is making the shot....and yes at some point resolution becomes an issue. However, as I said, love it as is! Cheers!
  • Options
    Cloning. Therein lies the line for me. Not that I'm against it, it's just not a preferred method.

I was trained by photo journalists, so I try to avoid doing things like that. Cropping, adjusting levels, white balance, sharpness, maybe a pinch of color adjustment, are the meat of how I enjoy processing. About the only "embellishment" I enjoy doing is the occasional vignette adjustment, and I try to make it as subtle as I can.

It's just how I process, and isn't meant to be better than any other method.
  • Options
    So I think I found the blue birds all right.

RL2_6731_2014-09-25-L.jpg

This is where I'm finding them.

RL2_6840_2014-09-25-L.jpg
  • Options
    Nice again! Sweet light in environment shot!