red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
edited December 12, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
DSC_4833-XL.jpg

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2012
    Well Jake, IMHO, there is certainly something old and interesting about the setting, but this image seems like only part of the picture. I don't see a strong subject, and in this case, I don't think the signage can carry the composition.
    My suggestion would be to shoot a bit wider view to include more of the environment, perhaps picking-up something of interest at street level.
    Also, my opinion about vignettes is that they are best used strongly, when drawing the eye to a strong subject. In scenes like this, I try to apply to an almost imperceptible level - enough to darken the corners and get that "atmosphere" thing going on, but not so obvious as to cause significant light fall-off. Re-creation of historical photography is, of course, another fine application for vignettes.
    Since you asked, I hope this helps.
    Best of luck!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2012
    Eric - it definitely helps. I'm new at this - and it's interesting to see what others think... I was shooting to bring out the 'grunge' and the wider shot unfortunately just had more brick... I think the nicely hand-painted typo was the reason for this shot, and the signage & windows were intended to be the subject.

Another edit to tone down the vignette, and a slightly different crop... better? no difference?
    DSC_4833-XL.jpg

Seems like all the photos I took in Chinatown were looking up, up, up. Some had stronger subjects. Another strong vignette - this is what I can do for "vintage" working only with Picasa.
    DSC_4848-XL.jpg
    edited December 12, 2012
    Earache verbalized my first reaction. That's a nice improvement on the second one. And that second photo is quite nice. If you're trying to "antique" it a bit, Picasa has a decent "film grain" function that might add to that (but it's easy to go overboard).
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2012
    Yeah, better I think.
    I should say that a successful composition can very often depend on what purpose the photographer intends - if you find the lettering and widows attractive and wish to capture that, that is quite valid and you have succeeded!
    Viewer reaction is an interesting thing - I am always fascinated by the fact that some images are recognized to be excellent/good (or for that matter, bad) by a large majority of viewers, and others elicit a spectrum of responses.
    It confirms the old adage - Beauty is in the eye.....
    Eric ~ Smugmug