DH3 or 5DMk3

gratefulJEDgratefulJED Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited May 3, 2013 in Cameras
I have read my butt off and I am camerless/lensless. I know these 2 are very different - at the very least the 5d takes better stills and the gh3 is better video, right? I'm thinking of getting the three good lenses for which ever one - the 14mm, 12-35, 35-70 or 100. I do not make any money with the system - I'm just one of those guys who likes cameras. Disregarding the cost, I'm stumped on which camera is future proof or better in the longer run. In 5 years both will prolly be obsolete to an extent. You pros will more than likely recommend the Canon (I have never shot one), but since I don't fully understand all the specs can the Canon look as good as the gh3 video wise? Is m43 the future? Are FFs dead? Should I just wait?? Is there another system I should consider? Thanks for any advice and the handholding..:confused

disclaimer: most everything in my post were opinions gathered on the internet

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,789 moderator
    edited May 3, 2013
    In My Most Humble Opinion, the Canon 5D MKII, along with a Mosaic Engineering VAF-5D2b Optical Anti-Aliasing Filter, Canon's own extensive lens system, the ability to use Nikon "F mount" lenses with a simple adapter (plus the ability to use Nikon "G" series lenses with a more expensive adapter), Carl Zeiss "ZE" mount lenses, a bevy of 5D MKII rigs, and maybe 20 different video profiles, make it the broadest "indie style" and "hollywood style" system camera on the planet. No other video capable dSLR has garnished as much service in the video production community in real projects, both independent films and true Hollywood content. (Some of the last 2 seasons of the TV series "House" was produced with a Canon 5D MKII, for instance.)

With the Magic Lantern (free) firmware overlay software you can have dynamic range broader than any other video capable dSLR body (using Magic Lantern in the HDR mode and at the expense of frame rate). Magic Lantern (ML) adds:
    Exposure Control:
    RGB zebras, waveform, spotmeter, false colors.

Audio:
    Monitoring and VU-meters.

Manual Focus Lens Use:
    Peaking, zoom box, trap focus.

Timelapse:
    Intervalometer and bulb ramping.

Custom Grids or Cropmarks:
    Some are pre-generated, plus you can add your own.

Directly comparing the Canon 5D MKII with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3, the GH3 does have better detail straight out-of-the-box, but it also has a larger problem with mosaic noise. (Again, using the Mosaic Engineering VAF-5D2b Optical Anti-Aliasing Filter with the 5D MKII eliminates most of the problem altogether.)

The FF bodies have much better DOF control. Not only do they allow razor-thin DOF, but the number of available aperture stops allows finer control of the exact DOF you desire.

The 5D MKII/MKIII have much better low-light performance. While the DMC-GH3 has a very usable low ISO, by ISO 1250 it's falling behind and noise becomes visible and intrusive.

You should also consider the Nikon video capable dSLRs. While the Nikon D800/D800E have a very strong problem with aliasing and video moire, the Mosaic Engineering VAF-D800 gets that nicely under control, and the capability of those bodies along with an HDMI recorder and an all I-frame encoder is an awesome combination. (If I were starting over in photography and with a secondary interest in "indie style" video, the Nikon D800 would be my body of choice.) (The Nikon D800 camera has been used in the shooting of the television series “Wilfred” and “Dexter” by the TV networks FX and Showtime.)

Don't forget about the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. With a Super 16 format, a claimed dynamic range of 13 stops, uncompressed HDMI output with the ability to use micro 4/3rd format lenses, and a price-point of around $995USD, it promises to turn the video world on its collective ear.

No video capable dSLR is very good at long format video, so if you want to capture the entire ceremony of a wedding, for instance, you're still better off with a conventional digital camcorder.

To sum all of this up, it's not fair or practical to claim any one video body as "best"; they all have a place in video production. What's best for you depends upon your needs and wishes. The capabilities have never been broader and the video quality per dollar has never been better.

Do some Googling with the information I just provided and see for yourself just how capable and wonderful the current products are and how other filmmakers are using these systems. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,789 moderator
    edited May 3, 2013
    To continue with the discussion, this time relating to still image acquisition, the choice of body, Canon 5D MKIII vs Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3, again hinges around your needs.

The Canon cameras, as part of the Canon system, is certainly much larger and broader, with a vastly larger supply of used products. The Panasonic system is much more portable, and it does a wonderful job at lower ISOs. At High-ISOs, the Canon cameras do better, and the FF bodies are much better than the Panasonic bodies.

In a sports/action environment, which includes active children, the 5D MKIII will excel, especially if it's mated to sports/action lenses. In good light and with more casual subject matter, either does the job nicely.

Just as in video, a FF body gives you access to much greater DOF control.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • gratefulJEDgratefulJED Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited May 3, 2013
    Wow Ziggy - I have seen your very detailed and well thought out responses in other threads and am honored that you chose to take the time and respond to my pedestrian question. I still have a lot to chew on and soak in. I think to challenge myself I would gravitate to the FF and really learn the art of better picture taking with a very capable camera. To be honest I tired of taking digital pics because of the ease and ventured over to video. It sounds like (the lazy part of me disagrees!) the Canon/Nikon FF is the way to go. I only say Nikon because you tossed that comment of yours in there (right turn, march!) - I was considering Canon more because I have never shot with it!

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts Ziggy

JED