Mini #198--Ornamental RESULTS

slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
edited January 25, 2015 in The Dgrin Challenges
Mini Challenge #198--Ornamental RESULTS<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Well, there weren't many entries (which made me sad), but I think the images that were posted were all excellent. That kind of made my job harder instead of easier, but I will take that as a good problem. <?xml:namespace prefix = "v" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1&quot;></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=Picture_x0020_1 style="HEIGHT: 11.4pt; WIDTH: 11.4pt; VISIBILITY: visible; mso-wrap-style: square" alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata o:title="0" src="file:///C:\Users\SHERRY~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>
Tony Cooper -- Your "Reaching for the Ornaments" made me smile every time I saw it. I love the bright colors, but your caption makes it memorable.<o:p></o:p>
KMK: Christmas Star -- I like the composition in this one (Welcome to dGrin, btw!), but I will agree with Alan's Grin that just a little bit of post processing would have given this entry some needed "pop." <o:p></o:p>
Sapphire73 : #2 Unfolding Beauty. This is a lovely shot. Beautiful flower. I've never seen one like this.<o:p></o:p>
Catcher33: I like the warmth of your image and your butterfly. Very nice Christmas image.<o:p></o:p>
Dan7312: I love the soft focus of your image and how the tree lights made the nice circles of color.<o:p></o:p>
3rd place: Grandma R #3 Chiluly glass in Miami. I really liked this one. Well done.<o:p></o:p>
Now here's where it really gets tough for me. I could probably say "eenie meenie minee moe" on the order of these last two, but I promise I didn't really do that.<o:p></o:p>
2nd place: <o:p></o:p>
Travelways #1 Decorative architectural detail in Granada, Spain. I love everything about this shot. The expression on the face coming out of the metal ring is humorous to me. Great composition.<o:p></o:p>
1st Place: Alan's Grin.<o:p></o:p>
I really loved all three of your images, but I will admit to having a hard time deciding which I love the most. The third one is beautiful and the stoppers are certainly ornate by themselves, but maybe need the rest of the bottle to be 'ornamental' (??maybe??). I love the lanterns. The glow and the bokeh is just lovely. If not for the one lantern that wasn't lit, this would be my winner. So, that leaves as my #1 favorite and winner of this round your first shot of Gift Wrap as my choice. I love the simplicity of the composition, that the jeweled ornament and ribbon is the focal point, and the rest of the gift fades/melts into the background. Simply elegant.
First Place
i-pfBv6JC-S.jpg

Sorry, I tried to make this smaller but obviously I'm challenged in this department.

Congratulations, Alan's Grin. The next mini is on you!

Sherry

ps: Thanks to everyone to posted images & made my job harder.

Comments

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2015
    I liked this a lot too - Congratulations Alan!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited January 6, 2015
    Congratulations, Alan! Great shot.

Thank you for running this mini, Sherry!
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2015
    Yes, nice shot, Alan! Have been busy lately, but now am looking forward to the next challenge.......
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2015
    Many, many thanks Sherry for the win and also your very kind words.
    Congrats to the runners up and well done everyone that took part.

I've only just noticed the result so I'll have a think and try to post a new challenge tomorrow (I'm in France at the mo - and just going out to dinner).

Regards
    Alan.
    edited January 6, 2015
    Oh, I just saw the runners up rolleyes1.gif

Thank you very much Sherry for the second place on my picture from Granada, Spain! :)
    Travelways.com
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 6, 2015
    congrats Alan on a superb image! Nice work Sherry in a wonderful choice of challenge and picking winners!
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2015
    I just saw this too - thank you for the third place. I would have had a hard time picking too and I really like the architectural detail in Granada also. Congratulations to Alan's Grin.

Next time could you please post a closed notice on the mini so I know to go to see the results?

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
    edited January 7, 2015
    Thank you Grandma it was difficult to choose which ones to post - I had so many... :)

I loved all your 3 posts - I actually have replicas of all 3 :) but maybe not so nicely done...

1. the Gaudi's Sagrada Familia was under construction at the time I've seen it
    Barcelona, Spain

2. I got the Kuna's Molas in Boquete, Panama. The access to San Blas is very difficult!
    Boquete Panama

3. ... and Chihuly, oh, my love has some great pieces here in Vegas - where I am now, too :)
    - this is part of a huge ceiling covered by his glass flowers at Bellagio - they are called "Fiori di Como" where the original Bellagio villa is
    Chihuly glass artwork, Bellagio, Las Vegas

PS: What a great blog you have!!! - Congratulations :)
    Travelways.com
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2015
    I have just launched a new challenge "Glass" here ...
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=251610

Alan
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2015
    travelways wrote: »
    Thank you Grandma it was difficult to choose which ones to post - I had so many... :)

I loved all your 3 posts - I actually have replicas of all 3 :) but maybe not so nicely done...

1. the Gaudi's Sagrada Familia was under construction at the time I've seen it
    barcelona-gaudi-church-8-S.jpg

2. I got the Kuna's Molas in Boquete, Panama. The access to San Blas is very difficult!
    IMG_5218-S.jpg

3. ... and Chihuly, oh, my love has some great pieces here in Vegas - where I am now, too :)
    - this is part of a huge ceiling covered by his glass flowers at Bellagio - they are called "Fiori di Como" where the original Bellagio villa is
    chihuly-glass-artwork-bellagio-las-vegas-6-S.jpg

The Sagrada Familia is always under construction - has never ever been finished. I saw it in 2008 and it was under construction. When my daughter saw the pictures of it, she said "It's melting"

We got to the San Blas Islands on a Holland American cruise. The inhabitants got tired of people making money off of pictures they took of them, so they charge for you to take their photos.

And my granddaughter insisted that we go see the Chilhuly - she was 7 or 8 at the time. I've also seen cruise ships where the central atrium sculpture was a Chihuly.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
    edited January 7, 2015
    Alans Grin wrote: »
    I have just launched a new challenge "Glass" here ...
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=251610

Alan

Wow, Glass - how beautiful!!! :)
    Travelways.com
  • catcher33catcher33 Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2015
    Thank you for liking my picture