Options

Legends of the Fall

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited October 29, 2014 in Landscapes
Aspens need light, but only available light was harsh. Literally not a single puff of cloud anywhere. From a minute after sunrise to sunset, light was harsh. In fact there was no sunset as the sun dropped behind the mountains full two hours before actual sunset, leaving behind harsh shadows.
Ideally, there would be borderline stormy conditions, and then a beam of light would escape and hit the aspens in right spots! Needless to say, that didn't happen!
Mother nature handed me harsh-lemons and below are my attempts to make a harshmonade with them!

All criticism and helpful pointers are heartily cherished!

1)

1W7A0015-X3.jpg

2)

1W7A0021-X3.jpg

3)

IMG_9995-X3.jpg

4)

IMG_0004-X3.jpg

5)

1W7A9822-X3.jpg

6)

1W7A9842-X3.jpg

7)

1W7A9983-X3.jpg

8)

1W7A9857-X3.jpg

9)

1W7A9903-X3.jpg

10)

1W7A9879-X3.jpg

11)

1W7A9907-X3.jpg

12)

1W7A0091-X3.jpg

13)

1W7A0109-X3.jpg

14)

1W7A0114-X3.jpg

15)

1W7A0145-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2014
    #2, 4 and 10 are very nice! #2 is my favorite you managed to convey a feeling of loneliness with the abandoned cabin. I like the composition on 4 too.
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2014
    Juano wrote: »
    #2, 4 and 10 are very nice! #2 is my favorite you managed to convey a feeling of loneliness with the abandoned cabin. I like the composition on 4 too.

Thank Cristobal!thumb.gif Tougher task then I thought it would be. Glad couple decent ones came out. Cheers!
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2014
    Great set. # 10, love that diffused golden light. thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2014
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    Great set. # 10, love that diffused golden light. thumb.gifthumb

Phil

Thanks Phil!wings.gif
    Much appreciated, especially since squeezing something good out was hard work this time! Keep your trip photos coming! Cheers!
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2014
    Since you titled the thread after one of my favorite books, by Jim Harrison, I have to respond. Would have anyway.

They're all well done. We often don't get the conditions we want. Number three has wonderful parts--the golden trees and their reflections--but I'd junk the dwelling in the upper right. What's critical to the image isn't there. But I don't know anything.
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2014
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Since you titled the thread after one of my favorite books, by Jim Harrison, I have to respond. Would have anyway.

They're all well done. We often don't get the conditions we want. Number three has wonderful parts--the golden trees and their reflections--but I'd junk the dwelling in the upper right. What's critical to the image isn't there. But I don't know anything.

Don, glad you posted!! Your input is both inspiration and free of charge education for me! I tried to clone out the house.....it was in the reflection too......got some wires and other structure on top left as well......post more! Cheers!

IMG_9995_rework-X3.jpg
  • Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2014
    prachtige reeks geworden.
    het is echt genieten.
    grt,boco .
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2014
    Despite the less than favorable conditions, you've produced some really outstanding work with this compilation. # 4 is particularly appealing. # 7 and # 10 give wonderful looks at being consumed by the forest of Aspens. Then we come to the star of the show....# 2....a superbly crafted image. Terrific stuff, Taz. Take a bow.clap.gif

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2014
    boco wrote: »
    prachtige reeks geworden.
    het is echt genieten.
    grt,boco .

Thanks Boco! Zo blij dat je het leuk vond! Cheers !!
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2014
    Despite the less than favorable conditions, you've produced some really outstanding work with this compilation. # 4 is particularly appealing. # 7 and # 10 give wonderful looks at being consumed by the forest of Aspens. Then we come to the star of the show....# 2....a superbly crafted image. Terrific stuff, Taz. Take a bow.clap.gif

Take care,

Tom

Thanks Tom!wings.gif
    Guess who I was thinking of when I got #2!!!:D You da man! I hope to find more of these guys! Lovely addiction to have! Cheers!!
  • Options
    WerewolfWerewolf Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2014
    Super pics, all.

Liked #2 the best. Might try it and #3 out in B&W.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2014
    Werewolf wrote: »
    Super pics, all.

Liked #2 the best. Might try it and #3 out in B&W.

Thanks Werewolf! Much appreciate it! I normally look for b&w opportunity but here because of "fall colors" as primary subject, I put that thought aside. I tried it and challenge for #2 was separating the cabin from BG. So I darkened it a bit and brightened the cabin. Challenge for #3 was extracting some details and separation as well as it was mostly shot in shadows. I used the tricks I know.....but #3 was not salvageable....here is #2 in b&w.

1W7A0021_bw-X3.jpg
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 22, 2014
    Awesome set, Taz! clap.gif Harsh or no harsh, these all look great. I wish I could have gone with you. :cry
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Awesome set, Taz! clap.gif Harsh or no harsh, these all look great. I wish I could have gone with you. :cry

Hey bro its still out there.....Sonoma and Napa are closer and we don't have to go over passes....maybe a trip is in order.....nice weather this saturday....drizzle means great light in south coast...something to think about. Thanks as always man!!!
  • Options
    TeddyAllenTeddyAllen Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 23, 2014
    Amazing shoot! #10 is definitely my favorite.
    It would be really nice to walk through that forest in a fine autumn day.
    Terrific!
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2014
    Ah....the East Side in Fall - my favorite place and time of year. Great set - #10 is my favorite (was this in the Lundy lake area?), but I love the cabin particularly in BW. I've shot this cabin before, but never as good as yours. I didn't get over to the East side this year and am jealous of your trip! I'm going over Carson Pass tomorrow, hopefully will find some color there.
    Congrats on the great shots - yes, some clouds would have been nice for you, but they are nicely done.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2014
    TeddyAllen wrote: »
    Amazing shoot! #10 is definitely my favorite.
    It would be really nice to walk through that forest in a fine autumn day.
    Terrific!

Thanks Teddy! Much appreciate it! It was glowing!
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Ah....the East Side in Fall - my favorite place and time of year. Great set - #10 is my favorite (was this in the Lundy lake area?), but I love the cabin particularly in BW. I've shot this cabin before, but never as good as yours. I didn't get over to the East side this year and am jealous of your trip! I'm going over Carson Pass tomorrow, hopefully will find some color there.
    Congrats on the great shots - yes, some clouds would have been nice for you, but they are nicely done.

Thanks Jo! Wow! Yes Lundy Lake Canyon for #10! It is lined up with gold for 5 miles all the way to the lake. I took Sonora pass on the way in and Tioga on the way out. Both showed almost no colors. But Carson may have something in it for you. Another really good spot is the 'Poole Power Plant road' or something like that. It starts a mile into Tioga pass from Lee Vining side and it really has some nice colors and creek and waterfalls. The light was too contrasty so I couldn't do anything with it, but maybe good in first light for half hour. Cheers!!
  • Options
    choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2014
    lovely pictures. #3, 4 and 10 are just amazing :)
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2014
    lovely pictures. #3, 4 and 10 are just amazing :)

Thanks Abi!! Much appreciated! Canada must have great fall colors!
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2014
    4, 10 and 12 for me. I am a sucker for shots of tree groves and my favorite is #10 with the contrast of the dark tree.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2014
    redleash wrote: »
    4, 10 and 12 for me. I am a sucker for shots of tree groves and my favorite is #10 with the contrast of the dark tree.

Thanks Lauren!wings.gif
    Groves had this beautiful glow going and was hoping to capture it!
  • Options
    TeddyAllenTeddyAllen Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 26, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Thanks Teddy! Much appreciate it! It was glowing!
    Keep it up with the fantastic capture!
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2014
    #2 and #14 stand out to me.

#2 - the contrast in texture and lines of the foreground plants to the building and to the curved lines of the mountain. (I just finished presenting Photographic Composition: Tips, Tricks and Traps to my camera club and I am trying to use that when I create or view an image.)

BTW, I used the layered image you allowed me to use, - big hit! - thank you.

clap.gif
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2014
    #2 and #14 stand out to me.

#2 - the contrast in texture and lines of the foreground plants to the building and to the curved lines of the mountain. (I just finished presenting Photographic Composition: Tips, Tricks and Traps to my camera club and I am trying to use that when I create or view an image.)

BTW, I used the layered image you allowed me to use, - big hit! - thank you.

clap.gif

Thanks Phil!wings.gif
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2014
    Great job with the available light.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    Aleksandar VasicAleksandar Vasic Registered Users Posts: 334 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2014
    very very nice:)
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2014
    JC wrote: »
    Great job with the available light.

Thanks JC!
    very very nice:)

Thanks Vasic! Great to see you on this forum too! Cheers!