Options

B&H refurb vs used gear.

firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
edited April 3, 2014 in Cameras
I'm considering a Canon 24-105mm 4L from BH....either used 9+ for $749 or a refurbished at $800. Anyone have any good or bad experiences purchasing B&H used gear?

Comments

• Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2014
    I'm considering a Canon 24-105mm 4L from BH....either used 9+ for $749 or a refurbished at $800. Anyone have any good or bad experiences purchasing B&H used gear?

I bought a 9+ used Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 about 1.5 years ago and it was excellent. Got more in the box than expected - a lens case.
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    OsoOso Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2014
    I bought a used Nikon 70-300mm last year that was rated 9 and it was in great shape and continues to work well.
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2014
    I'd spend the extra, refurbed Canon gear comes with a Canon one year warranty.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2014
    20DNoob wrote: »
    I'd spend the extra, refurbed Canon gear comes with a Canon one year warranty.

+1 with the difference being only 50 dollars.

But saying that like the others here I've had great experiences with B&H's used gear so if you find anything else I wouldn't hesitate.
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2014
    While I would buy a used or refurbished camera or lens from B&H, both Adorama and Keh
    are excellent sources for used or refurbished equipment. I just bought used body from
    Keh, and was very pleased with the service. I consider all three sources as equal in
    this respect.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2014
    I've had great experiences with all my Canon refurbs, through both Adorama and Canon. No complaints in either case. If I want a warranty, that's usually the route I go (assuming the savings over new are enough). thumb.gif
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2014
    I've had good experience with Canon refurbished lens
  • Options
    jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2014
    B&H refurb vs used gear.

Good morning,
    Go to fredmiranda.com and look at all the people selling their 24-105 lenses for as little as $650. Lots of established professionals on that site. Lots of professionals here as well, but not too many selling what you're looking for :D I was tempted to buy the 6D and 24-105 combo from bhphoto.com for $1999, but I don't need the lens. Canon Direct is selling their refurbished lenses for $739 (20% off) but with tax and the $5 shipping, it would be around $800 anyway...
    Have a good day thumb.gif
    Jim...
  • Options
    HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2014
    divamum wrote: »
    I've had great experiences with all my Canon refurbs, through both Adorama and Canon. No complaints in either case. If I want a warranty, that's usually the route I go (assuming the savings over new are enough). thumb.gif

Good to hear - thanks!
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2014
    B&H refurb vs used gear.
    Even though I wasn't looking for a 24-105 lens, I couldn't pass up a LNIB lens (that came with a 6D) for $600 shipped on POTN...
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2014
    jgoetz4 wrote: »
    Even though I wasn't looking for a 24-105 lens, I couldn't pass up a LNIB lens (that came with a 6D) for $600 shipped on POTN...

there are always good used deals on the 24-105 because it's part of the kit deal and some don't need it
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2014
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    there are always good used deals on the 24-105 because it's part of the kit deal and some don't need it

Exactly true. I don't really need it because I use my Fuji for 27-53mm shots, and my Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC lens for the remaining shots, however, for $600 I couldn't pass it up. It's really sharp, and the IS works extremely well. Here is a shot taken of my sleeping puggle, wide open at 1/8 sec.