Options

Spider and Water Drop

Numbers GuyNumbers Guy Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
edited March 23, 2010 in Holy Macro
I'm don't have anywhere near the macro talent of a few posters here, but I'm trying to learn. I was setting up the water drop shot when I noticed a tiny spider had hitched a ride on one of my daffodils. It's raining outside, so I'm using very dim window light. The spider exposure is 1/3 of a second at f/8, and the water drop is 3.2 seconds at f/14.

This is my first attempt at capturing a reflection in a water drop, so if anyone has suggestions, please share as I know I have a lot to learn.

815875506_4DUiY-X3.jpg

815876500_P4yo5-X2.jpg
Doug Vaughn
http://www.dougvaughn.com
Canon 5D MKII and more lenses than my wife thinks I can afford.

Comments

• Options
    clicketf3clicketf3 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Spidy man looks pissed!!!
  • Options
    topcat374topcat374 Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    I have zero experience when it comes to macro but FWIW - I love the water droplet shot and would be very pleased with it if I were you!

As for the spider - he does look a little on the annoyed side(!) - camera shy perhaps?!?!
    More practice needed but learning all the time!:rofl

Nikon D50, 18mm-55mm, 55mm-200mm, 50mm f/1.8, SB800, LowePro Slingshot 200AW and other bits!
  • Options
    Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    Your water drop is awesome!! That spider dude freaks me out tho!! I'm totally phobic about spiders, so try not to look at photos of them!!

I just got a macro lens and I'm excited to play with it. Here's my very first shots. I was happy I found something pretty considering it had been raining all day.
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    Both shots look good to me - esp like the waterdrop

Lots of hints and tips onhow i do my macro shots here http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=807056

Stella you shot looks very good too !
    Brian v.
  • Options
    Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    Lord V,
    Thanks so much for the link!! It's a wealth of info and so very helpful!! :D
  • Options
    GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited March 23, 2010
    good shots, you will find most people use flash to prevent motion blur shooting f7 - f14 for sharpest shots.
    for waterdrops you probably need more magnification
    phil