Pentax 645Z Affordable Medium Format digital body

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,795 moderator
edited April 18, 2014 in Cameras
http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/dslr/645Z

CMOS imager
Effective pixels: 51.40 MP
RAW: L (51M: 8256 x 6192)
3 FPS frame rate
Movie (resolution/FPS): Full HD (1920x1080, 60i/50i/30p/25p/24p), HD (1280x720, 60p/50p/30p/25p/24p)
PENTAX 645AF2 lens mount with AF coupler, lens information contacts, and power contacts
AF: SAFOX 11 TTL phase-matching autofocus with 27 AF points (25 cross type focus points in the center)
AF modes: Single AF (AF.S), Continuous AF (AF.C)
Viewfinder: Type: Keplerian telescopic trapezoid prism finder
Coverage (field of view): Approx. 98%
Magnification: Approx. 0.62 x (55mmF2.8 at infinity), Approx. 0.85 x (75mmF2.8 at infinity)
Standard focusing screen: Interchangeable Natural-Bright-Matte focusing screen
LCD Monitor: Type: 3.2” Tiltable TFT color LCD monitor featuring an air-gapless structure with an AR-coated, tempered-glass front panel
External Flash: Type: Hotshoe (P-TTL), high speed sync and wireless w PENTAX dedicated flash, X-Sync Socket
Storage Media: Removable memory: SD, SDHC*, SDXC* memory card, Eye-Fi card, FLUCARD *UHS-I compatible
Dual Card Slot: Sequential save, Save to Both Dual save, Separate RAW/JPG, Copying images between slots possible
HDMI output terminal (Type D), Stereo microphone input terminal
~Price: $8,498.00 (B&H), $8,496.95 (Adorama)
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2014
    This thing sounds great!

Since it uses the same sensor as the Hasselblad, and the Phase One along with what seems like fantastic performance why would one consider buying ether the Hasselblad, or Phase One?

Sam
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2014
    Medium Format Video... I'd like to see that!
    Sam wrote:
    Since it uses the same sensor as the Hasselblad, and the Phase One along with what seems like fantastic performance why would one consider buying ether the Hasselblad, or Phase One?

Yeah seriously. Only way the H or PO would be worth it is if they have visibly superior superior image processing which yields at least twice the DR, and better color, tonality, sharpness, etc.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2014
    Sam wrote: »
    This thing sounds great!

Sam
    Medium Format Video... I'd like to see that!

Yeah seriously. Only way the H or PO would be worth it is if they have visibly superior superior image processing which yields at least twice the DR, and better color, tonality, sharpness, etc.

Folks who already have a significant investment in lenses and accessories may wish to stay in a particular system.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2014
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Folks who already have a significant investment in lenses and accessories may wish to stay in a particular system.

For the cost of a new Hasselblad or Phase One, they could sell all their gear, replace it with Pentax gear, and probably come out many thousands ahead. Unless the lenses are really SO much better that they warrant hanging on to a $50,000+ system. I guess if you are a corporation like Macy's producing catalogs this is tiddlywinks, but I would think every independent MF photographer should be looking very seriously at Pentax.

Photography is a big part of my retirement plan, I will be looking at a Pentax or similar MF system then!
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 17, 2014
    If you're shooting raw, then I would think those metrics should be identical on any body with the same sensor. No?
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    If you're shooting raw, then I would think those metrics should be identical on any body with the same sensor. No?

I'm not sure. There has to be some firmware between the electrical readings of the sensor pixels, and the outputted raw file. If that firmware is written by the sensor manufacturer and the sensor is basically a "black box" which spits out a raw file, then you'd be right. I don't know if that's how it is though. The subtle differences between Nikons and Sonys make me wonder.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited April 17, 2014
    For the cost of a new Hasselblad or Phase One, they could sell all their gear, replace it with Pentax gear, and probably come out many thousands ahead. Unless the lenses are really SO much better that they warrant hanging on to a $50,000+ system. I guess if you are a corporation like Macy's producing catalogs this is tiddlywinks, but I would think every independent MF photographer should be looking very seriously at Pentax.

Photography is a big part of my retirement plan, I will be looking at a Pentax or similar MF system then!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Pentax. That's how I started in serious photography. I still own several Pentax and compatible 135 format film bodies, a plethora of lenses (including 2 - 500mm, f4.5 lenses) and assorted accessories for the system.

Pentax, and now Ricoh (the current owners), are great innovators in photography, and they often beat their competition in both features and price.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    I'm not sure. There has to be some firmware between the electrical readings of the sensor pixels, and the outputted raw file. If that firmware is written by the sensor manufacturer and the sensor is basically a "black box" which spits out a raw file, then you'd be right. I don't know if that's how it is though. The subtle differences between Nikons and Sonys make me wonder.

I believe that the Nikon D7000, Pentax K-5 and Sony A580 dSLRs are based on the same, or very similar, Sony based imager. However, there are measurable differences between the RAW files of identical scenes.

I believe that all of these cameras use a different image processor, different internal shielding, and different image software processing profile (for both DXO and Adobe RAW processing). These differences are likely reasons for the differences. (This is not meant to be either a definitive or an exhaustive listing of differences.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2014
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Pentax. That's how I started in serious photography.

I wasn't questioning your friendliness to Pentax, I was just saying I can't imagine a reason to stick with Hasselblad or Phase One. Lens collection or not.

I got started with my parents' K1000 when I was a kid. I still have an MX and 3 primes that I love to use on occasion.
    -Jack