Routine Body Maintenance?

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited May 6, 2014 in Cameras
I've never sent any of my camera bodies for repair or cleaning unless something was wrong with them. I've had my D700 for a few years now. There are no issues with it. Works like a charm. I do my own sensor cleaning and routinely clean the housing down and such to keep it in good shape.

So is there any other reason for me to send it in to the shop? :dunno
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2014
    Well if your shutter is getting close to 200,000 clicks and has never been replaced before, I might take it in just for a "clean and check" type service. They clean it, replace any rubber grips that are coming off, check the calibration of the shutter, meter, and AF...

But then again, if you don't have any problems with either of those three functions, and your camera is still relatively "young" in shutter count, then I'm betting it's fine.
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited April 7, 2014
    I always just go with a couple of beers myself...oh. Camera bodies. What Matt said :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited April 7, 2014
    ian408 wrote: »
    I always just go with a couple of beers myself...oh. Camera bodies. What Matt said :D

rolleyes1.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2014
    ian408 wrote: »

I'd slightly modify this, by opting for a bit of 'in-cider trading' :)

btw - I usually leave (working) stuff well alone, until (if / when) it needs attention ...

pp
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2014
    Thanks all.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2014
    Sensible advice. I always think that opening up factory assembled gear for any reason other than obvious malfunction is asking for trouble.
  • IntothedeepblueIntothedeepblue Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 6, 2014
    If it gets the shots you are expecting then I'd see no need. Only reason to have camera equipment serviced is if they need a thorough clean that's out of your scope or have some kind of malfunction.