Options

Canon 40D ISO Expansion ???

cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
edited April 2, 2014 in Cameras
I recently purchased a Canon 40D. Before buying, I borrowed a friends and set the ISO to 3200 using the custom function setting. Now that I have my camera, I am unable to get the ISO to expand to 3200. I set the custom function setting (ISO Expansion - "ON"), but the camera will still only go to 1600. I am shooting in Manual mode, with a 70-200mm 2.8L. I was shooting at a gymnastic meet this weekend (no flash allowed). It was like a cave in the gym, in order to get even a remotely acceptable exposure, I couldn't shoot any faster than 1/90 (needless to say all of my pictures were taken during poses in the routines). Am I missing something?? Are there other settings I need to change? I know the 3200 ISO will give me a lot of noise, but I just wanted to play with it. Thanks for your help.

Stephanie

Comments

• Options
    ScottoScotto Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    The camera doesn't actually show 3200 on the display.

Once you have enabled the custom function you will be able to select 'H' which is 3200ISO

I shot this last week using my 40D also set to 3200 ISO. I was amazed at how little noise was actually on the image

434736571_beirz-L.jpg
    My SmugMug | Follow me on Twitter | iChat: ScottMacUser
  • Options
    c-linec-line Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 15, 2008
    You probably have Highlight tone priority on. With HTP on ISO settings are limited to 1600. You can tell if HTP is on if your ISO setting on looks like this 16oo instead of this 1600. Turn off HTP in CFn II 3.
  • Options
    cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    c-line wrote:
    You probably have Highlight tone priority on. With HTP on ISO settings are limited to 1600. You can tell if HTP is on if your ISO setting on looks like this 16oo instead of this 1600. Turn off HTP in CFn II 3.

Thank you so much!!! That was the case. It was driving me crazy.

Scotto - thanks for posting the picture. I'm anxious to see what the ISO 3200 can do, looks good.

Stephanie
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    Try to avoid underexposure to minimize unwanted noise. Well exposed images at 3200 are very usable as shown by Scotto's example.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    c-line wrote:

Yeah, i did the same thing! I should have asked here as that would have saved me some time and frustration. rolleyes1.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    SPORT SHOTSSPORT SHOTS Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 30, 2014
    c-line wrote: »

Thank you, I've been trying to figure out what I did different. I had High ISO then I didn't I did not think I had changed anything but I did.

Thank you again I looked through the manual but did not see any answers. I should have checked the forum sooner.

Sport Shots
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2014
    Cuong wrote: »
    Try to avoid underexposure to minimize unwanted noise. Well exposed images at 3200 are very usable as shown by Scotto's example.

Cuong

also helps to shoot in RAW and use noise reduction with PS layer masks