Bicyclist's Dream

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited September 15, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
I've got to admit...seeing this thing stopped me dead in my tracks. I was completely mesmerized. Not only have I never seen anything like it, but its level of restoration rivals that which you would expect to see on a $20 million Ferrari.

You're looking at an 1899 Orient Autogo Quadricycle. In 1893, Charles Metz founded the Waltham Mfg. Co. and produced bicycles in the Boston area. In 1898, Metz imported the Orient Tandem Pacer with a French De Dion-Bouton engine. He later became the U.S. importer of De Dion-Bouton vehicles and engines.

In 1899, Metz hired a top French bicycle racer ( Albert Champion ) to anchor his bicycle team. Champion later went on to found the Champion Spark Plug Co. Also in 1899, Metz decided to produce his own Orient vehicles...in addition to the De Dion-Bouton stuff he imported.

This Orient Autugo is one of only three known to exist and is the only one with the forecar kit. All three have their original De Dion-Bouton 2 1/2 HP engine. A late owner buried....yes, buried....this vehicle in his yard where it remained for almost 50 years until it was exhumed by a step-son. Again, the restoration of this vehicle ranks with the best I've ever seen....and I've seen a lot.

I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I imagine that riding at the front of this thing, going over 40 mph, had to be plum terrorizing.

Amelia%202013%2011%20030-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%2011%20031-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%2011%20033-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%2011%20036-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2014
    How cool is that! And I agree, Tom, I'm not sure I would want to be sitting on the front of that thing racing down the road.
  • wtlwdwgnwtlwdwgn Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    Wow, that is spectacular. Nice series of images detailing the machine. I'd like to have seen #1 with the whole person in period dress. Just my $0.02.
    Steve
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    moose135 wrote: »
    How cool is that! And I agree, Tom, I'm not sure I would want to be sitting on the front of that thing racing down the road.

Hi John,

Isn't that thing the cats ass? I wanted badly to hear it run but, unless you're heading up to receive an award, it's against the rules to fire the engine up while spectators are milling around.

See you,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    wtlwdwgn wrote: »
    Wow, that is spectacular. Nice series of images detailing the machine. I'd like to have seen #1 with the whole person in period dress. Just my $0.02.

Thanks for the visit, Steve. Yea, I would have liked to show the entire person. I cropped it in this fashion, however, mostly to hide extreme clutter just above where I chopped it off. You didn't miss much; the lady's coat went all the way to being tight on her neck....but she did have on one of those glorious hats the ladies of yore loved so much.

Tom
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    Absolutely gorgeous and well preserved!clap.gif
    Always appreciate the education too! Cheers!
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Absolutely gorgeous and well preserved!clap.gif
    Always appreciate the education too! Cheers!

I'm telling you, Taz, we could light up the town on that thing. Women at the show couldn't keep their hands off the thing.:D

Tom
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    Well, dang. That is one of the coolest museum pieces (not in a museum and should be) I've seen in many long years. I've been to about every antique bicycle museum, show, private bike and moped/motorcycle collections and that thing is absolute tops. Also the right color. I spent 30+ years in the bicycle biz, so I am not easily awed by a restore. I'm guessing the hired driver/mechanic sat behind and the owner/passenger sat in front? So what was once a millionaire's toy is again a millionaire's toy! Thanks for presenting this here. Again… wow!
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited September 13, 2014
    Truly amazing find.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Well, dang. That is one of the coolest museum pieces (not in a museum and should be) I've seen in many long years. I've been to about every antique bicycle museum, show, private bike and moped/motorcycle collections and that thing is absolute tops. Also the right color. I spent 30+ years in the bicycle biz, so I am not easily awed by a restore. I'm guessing the hired driver/mechanic sat behind and the owner/passenger sat in front? So what was once a millionaire's toy is again a millionaire's toy! Thanks for presenting this here. Again… wow!

I'm with you, David. I've been around some superbly restored vehicles, seemingly all my life. You can't help but get a little jaded to that world as time goes on. This Orient Autogo, however, was completed to a standard of restoration rarely seen. I mean every single nut and bolt was perfect. I couldn't find a flaw anywhere....ANYWHERE. Unbelievable.

Take care,

Tom
    ian408 wrote: »
    Truly amazing find.

Great to hear from you, Ian.

You're absolutely right. It was an amazing find. After drifting through some 300+ of the worlds most rare and beautiful vehicles, it was this Orient that really stunned me.

Tom
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    Wow, that's a machine, I'm always amazed at engineering feats like this. Very cool.
    edited September 14, 2014
    Juano wrote: »
    Wow, that's a machine, I'm always amazed at engineering feats like this. Very cool.

I hear you, Cristóbal. Looking at this thing....seeing the proliferation of mechanical pushers, pullers, control rods, connectors, etc., etc., etc. ....almost boggles the mind.

Take care,

Tom
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    Thanks for showing us this awesome contraption Tom!
    I'm curious about the trailer and the bike on it... was this just a backup plan, or ????
    I'm also curious why there are pedals on the Autogo - seems heavy to pedal alone - so, were they used as full-time assist or, again, a backup plan?

I Find a bit of irony in that power-assisted bicycles - both gas and electric - are hot (making a comeback?), and trying these days, to grab a market-share... compact and powerful battery technology is driving this trend.
    Of course, many bicycling purists sneer and guffaw at the idea of motorized bicycles.... ah hem.... that includes yours truly! deal.gif:D
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    This is just awesome!! I'd take a ride in the front as long as the road was North Dakota flat :D
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    Despite it running on (I presume gasoline) and it's chrome, this has something of a Steampunk look to it. thumb.gif

Great find! :D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    Earache wrote: »
    Thanks for showing us this awesome contraption Tom!
    I'm curious about the trailer and the bike on it... was this just a backup plan, or ????
    I'm also curious why there are pedals on the Autogo - seems heavy to pedal alone - so, were they used as full-time assist or, again, a backup plan?

I Find a bit of irony in that power-assisted bicycles - both gas and electric - are hot (making a comeback?), and trying these days, to grab a market-share... compact and powerful battery technology is driving this trend.
    Of course, many bicycling purists sneer and guffaw at the idea of motorized bicycles.... ah hem.... that includes yours truly! deal.gif:D

Unfortunately, Eric, the period-dressed gal riding herd on this thing didn't know anything about it. Therefore, I'm guessing at some of the particulars. Since the builder ( Metz ) was a bike manufacturer, I suspect that the inclusion of the trailer and ancillary bike was just an expression of his propensities. However, it could have been planned as an emergency way home.

The pedals on the Autogo were probably instrumental in getting the thing started. The procedure likely involved the use of a compression-relief device on the engine. The individual would activate the compression-relief, pedal this thing like crazy ( probably in a stationary position if it had a neutral gear...but possibly as it moves ), and when the engine had sufficient revolutions, he would follow procedures to fire it off. I think it's safe to say that folks not too mechanically inclined should avoid an Autogo.headscratch.gif

Take care,

Tom
    Dogdots wrote: »
    This is just awesome!! I'd take a ride in the front as long as the road was North Dakota flat :D

Well, you've always been one to rise to the occasion, Mary. I don't know what you would have done if the driver lost control and headed to the trees....or had to stop real quick. Fortunately, we don't have to find out. Still, I'd pay money to see you perched up there with this thing under full power.

Say ' hi ' to John for me,

Tom
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Despite it running on (I presume gasoline) and it's chrome, this has something of a Steampunk look to it. thumb.gif

Great find! :D

Don

I tell you, Don, I lit up like a Christmas tree when I spied this thing. It's not often something with this mechanical charm shows up. You'd have loved to been there with me.

See you,

Tom
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    Unfortunately, Eric, the period-dressed gal riding herd on this thing didn't know anything about it. Therefore, I'm guessing at some of the particulars. Since the builder ( Metz ) was a bike manufacturer, I suspect that the inclusion of the trailer and ancillary bike was just an expression of his propensities. However, it could have been planned as an emergency way home.

The pedals on the Autogo were probably instrumental in getting the thing started. The procedure likely involved the use of a compression-relief device on the engine. The individual would activate the compression-relief, pedal this thing like crazy ( probably in a stationary position if it had a neutral gear...but possibly as it moves ), and when the engine had sufficient revolutions, he would follow procedures to fire it off. I think it's safe to say that folks not too mechanically inclined should avoid an Autogo.headscratch.gif

Take care,

Tom

Makes a lot of sense Tom - thanks for brainstorming my questions!

I'd ride up-front... but I'd be wearing my non period-correct Mountain Biking safety gear... and insist on an adult beverage cup holder. mwink.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2014
    A great find. A beautiful, intricate and meticulously restored piece of machinery. Thanks for the many detailed images. thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
    edited September 15, 2014
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    A great find. A beautiful, intricate and meticulously restored piece of machinery. Thanks for the many detailed images. thumb.gifthumb

Phil

Thanks for the visit, Phil. A happenstance finding like this helps make up for all the times when nothing exciting shows up.

Take care ( and enjoy your trip coming up ),

Tom