Are photos really unprotected on iPhone/iPod SmugMug pages??

Rather27Rather27 Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
edited May 25, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I held, and saved my photo from the SmugMug iPhone version of my site...?:huh doesn't this seem like a loophole for people to steal your photos?...I'm a little worried about uploading all my good stuff?? Anyone have any Idea if there is a fix for this due out?

Comments

• thaKingthaKing Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
  • mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    Go to your control panel->settings and turn off the iphone interface (near the bottom).

That's what I did, and I'm thankful SM listened to those of us who asked for this very feature. thumb.gif
  • Rather27Rather27 Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    mbellot wrote:
    turn off the iphone interface (near the bottom).
    thumb.gif

Does this disable the entire IPhone,iPod experience, I haven't tried it? I'd like the same restriction notice as the original site.headscratch.gif
  • timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    Rather27 wrote:
    Does this disable the entire IPhone,iPod experience, I haven't tried it? I'd like the same restriction notice as the original site.headscratch.gif

If you want to protect your photos, you need to watermark them. Disabling right clicking and things like that really does nothing to thwart people from taking photos.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited March 12, 2010
    Rather27 wrote:
    Idoesn't this seem like a loophole for people to steal your photos?
    If your photos are on the web they can be stolen. It's a fact of life.

See http://www.smugmug.com/help/image-protection.

--- Denise
    edited March 12, 2010
    Rather27 wrote:

It completely shuts down the iphone portion of your site, visitors are redirected to your actual (full html, java & css) homepage.

Even with watermarking I turned it off, I don't care for the "dumbed down" interface.
    edited March 12, 2010
    mbellot wrote:
    It completely shuts down the iphone portion of your site, visitors are redirected to your actual (full html, java & css) homepage.

Even with watermarking I turned it off, I don't care for the "dumbed down" interface.
    hmmm...i turned mine off a while ago and can't get to my site at all on an iphone...is it only supposed to disable the "dumbed down" site?
    edited March 13, 2010
    thaKing wrote:
    hmmm...i turned mine off a while ago and can't get to my site at all on an iphone...is it only supposed to disable the "dumbed down" site?

That is my understanding, mobile devices should be routed to your "real" home page.

I've poked a little bit with my BB since turning it off, but the data speed (IDEN is ~ 10k/s max) makes it painful for anything but extreme emergencies.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    thaKing wrote:
    Your site does not appear to be turned off for an iphone. When I got to http://jeremyking.smugmug.com/iphone on my PC, I get the iphone view of your site. So either it isn't turned off or Smugmug isn't honoring that setting.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    jfriend wrote:
    Your site does not appear to be turned off for an iphone. When I got to http://jeremyking.smugmug.com/iphone on my PC, I get the iphone view of your site. So either it isn't turned off or Smugmug isn't honoring that setting.
    We honor the setting :)

20100314-8ucuabanxfqyjh5uni43c84pws.jpg
    edited March 14, 2010
    jfriend wrote:
    i get there using the SM link, but what about when you go to the custom domain...i get nothin...from my iphone, it closes that page...

edit: just tried it after posting and now it works....not sure why it wasn't working before...*scratching head*
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    Rather27 wrote:
    I held, and saved my photo from the SmugMug iPhone version of my site...?eek7.gif doesn't this seem like a loophole for people to steal your photos?...I'm a little worried about uploading all my good stuff?? Anyone have any Idea if there is a fix for this due out?

That is the least of your worries. Anyone with a bit of computer savvy can download the largest size image you enable simply by plucking it out of browser cache. Right click protection only protects against the elderly, people with liberal-arts degrees, and middle management.

However the image they steal will have the watermark on it, so make sure your watermark has your web address and/or contact info. Free advertising, right?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • coleygmcoleygm Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    timnosenzo wrote: »
    If you want to protect your photos, you need to watermark them. Disabling right clicking and things like that really does nothing to thwart people from taking photos.

Real issue for me though with the iphone interface, is that it allows the browser to easily see unlisted galleries in the general listing.

So, I love the fact that SM has given us the option to turn off the mobile site, but when i try to do this, i get a pop up saying "Please remove the Google Analytics tracking script from the Custom Footer section in your Advanced Customization. We'll take it from here." ???

can someone tell me what's going on here? ...i get the same message when i turn it back on too.

thanks in advance.
    edited May 22, 2010
    coleygm wrote: »
    Real issue for me though with the iphone interface, is that it allows the browser to easily see unlisted galleries in the general listing.

So, I love the fact that SM has given us the option to turn off the mobile site, but when i try to do this, i get a pop up saying "Please remove the Google Analytics tracking script from the Custom Footer section in your Advanced Customization. We'll take it from here." ???

can someone tell me what's going on here? ...i get the same message when i turn it back on too.

thanks in advance.
    First of all, the mobile interface does not expose unlisted galleries. Perhaps you meant something different.

The error message about Google Analytics makes it sound like perhaps you have double Google Analytics tracking, both custom code in your footer and the new Smugmug support for GA. You should only have one of the two.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited May 22, 2010

thanks in advance.

iPhone honors right click protection now thumb.gif
    edited May 24, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    First of all, the mobile interface does not expose unlisted galleries. Perhaps you meant something different.

The error message about Google Analytics makes it sound like perhaps you have double Google Analytics tracking, both custom code in your footer and the new Smugmug support for GA. You should only have one of the two.

I just checked it again, and after i turn on the mobile interface, I'm able to go to my site/iphone. ...then i can roam into categories, and see unlisted galleries that i cannot see when I'm using the standard web page. ...so perhaps you meant something different? If the mobile interface didn't allow for this, I'd be happy to leave it turned on.

As for the GA...yes, i placed the required info in my page many many moons ago. ...if there is a feature now that SM has built in for GA, please pass me a link regarding more information and/or configuration.

thanks
    edited May 24, 2010
    As for the GA...yes, i placed the required info in my page many many moons ago. ...if there is a feature now that SM has built in for GA, please pass me a link regarding more information and/or configuration.

thanks
    http://releasenotes.blogs.smugmug.com/
    edited May 24, 2010
    I just checked it again, and after i turn on the mobile interface, I'm able to go to my site/iphone. ...then i can roam into categories, and see unlisted galleries that i cannot see when I'm using the standard web page. ...so perhaps you meant something different?
    What specific unlisted gallery shows in the iPhone interface that doesn't show on the regular web interface? Can you provide a link or tell me how to find it? If this is indeed the case, we should document the exact steps to reproduce it and report it to Smugmug because it would be a serious bug. Unlisted galleries are not supposed to show in the mobile interface - ever.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited May 25, 2010
    Andy wrote: »

Brilliant...thanks Andy
    edited May 25, 2010
    What specific unlisted gallery shows in the iPhone interface that doesn't show on the regular web interface? Can you provide a link or tell me how to find it? If this is indeed the case, we should document the exact steps to reproduce it and report it to Smugmug because it would be a serious bug. Unlisted galleries are not supposed to show in the mobile interface - ever.

11doh.gif

I just realized that when i was testing the iphone site, the browser was keeping me logged in as an admin, hence why i could see it. I didn't know you could use the iphone interface with admin access...very cool.

So, I was wrong...and appreciate the insight. ...that being said, are there any downsides or gotchas to the iphone interface now?

thanks again
    edited May 25, 2010
    ...that being said, are there any downsides or gotchas to the iphone interface now?

thanks again
    It doesn't respect your customization and isn't customizable so the only option is a generic presentation without branding.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited May 25, 2010
    It doesn't respect your customization and isn't customizable so the only option is a generic presentation without branding.

but the photo's are still watermarked, right click protection is still in place, and all the other security measures as for unlisted or protected galleries is honored... seems there's no reason not to enable mobile now.

if I'm right about all this, the mobile interface has really come a long way from its begginings...thanks SM
    edited May 25, 2010
    but the photo's are still watermarked, right click protection is still in place, and all the other security measures as for unlisted or protected galleries is honored... seems there's no reason not to enable mobile now.

if I'm right about all this, the mobile interface has really come a long way from its begginings...thanks SM
    Yes. If you're OK with no customization, most of the basics are in place.

Some things you can't do in the mobile version:
    • View a password protected gallery
    • Link directly to a mobile version of a gallery
    • Link directly to a mobile version of a particular image
    • Hide categories with public galleries in them (people do this with customization scripts now)
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • DotaDota Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    Okay somebody please help me out with this now. After reading this thread I tried my site with the iphone extension at work and was shocked how it looks on a mobile site. It was showing all the unlisted galleries with the option to save photos. My proofs galleries don't show as they are password protected. I don't have an ipad/ipod/mobile internet so please help. I want to fix this though.

www.pullumphotography.com
    edited May 25, 2010
    Dota wrote: »
    Okay somebody please help me out with this now. After reading this thread I tried my site with the iphone extension at work and was shocked how it looks on a mobile site. It was showing all the unlisted galleries with the option to save photos. My proofs galleries don't show as they are password protected. I don't have an ipad/ipod/mobile internet so please help. I want to fix this though.

www.pullumphotography.com
    You were logged in thumb.gif Try logging out and viewing.
  • DotaDota Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    You were logged in thumb.gif Try logging out and viewing.

Um, I don't log into my smugmug account at work so that's why I have the questions.

Update...I did try in a browser that I don't use (Google Chrome) and its showing differently (not showing the pics once going to the gallery and clicking on the pic but still showing unlisted galleries). So I don't if that has to do with my browser cache or what.