Options

Flash Hummer Experimentation

bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
edited July 18, 2016 in Wildlife
I was experimenting with shooting hummers with multiple remote flashes yesterday. With a 20MM extension tube added to my 400MM lens, I was able to get very close and shoot off a tripod.
The clarity and details are amazing but the direction of my flashes did not get their ruby throats to light up. Also because of the high speed flash exposures, the daylight background turns black. You would have to set up a flashed backdrop or photoshop in a more natural daylight background.
Oh well, it was a fun learning experience anyway.

A_73A4038-XL.jpg

A_73A3919-XL.jpg

A_73A4007-XL.jpg

_73A4048-XL.jpg
A

Comments

• Options
    ggttcggttc Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 11, 2016
    These are wonderful images...my wife is an avid hummer photographer...she uses two cheap studio lights for her shots...alas we know nothing about flash.

Guess its time to learn.
  • Options
    bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2016
    ggttc wrote: »
    These are wonderful images...my wife is an avid hummer photographer...she uses two cheap studio lights for her shots...alas we know nothing about flash.

Guess its time to learn.

Thanks. If you Google photographing humming birds, you will find several great detailed write ups on the flash process many pros use. I didn't take to that extreme but still was happy with my results.

As we all know, photography is a never ending learning process. :-)

This was my set up. Note the lack of a flashed backdrop, hence the black backgrounds on my shots.

i-HmR2wkf-XL.jpg
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2016
    Wow! Pretty cool! Nice setup!
  • Options
    kscooperkscooper Registered Users Posts: 387 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2016
    I managed some decent hummingbird photos in your part of the world at the AZ-Sonora Desert Museum a bit ago w/o flash, but #s 3 and 4 just blow me away! Amazing.

Eric

good gear; not enough time
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited July 12, 2016
    These are just super! Amazing the dark background during daylight, but flash systems can do that, given the right set up and exposures. You did well with this. A more natural flower could make these one notch higher still.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Tony BrittonTony Britton Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2016
    Impressive series and very well done! Interesting gear involved, as well.

Tony
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2016
    Seriously awesome! #3 is crazy!!! bowdown.gif Thank you for the explanation how you got the black b/g. I would like to try this!!!
  • Options
    cromwellcromwell Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2016
    It's been several years since I shot hummers, but I had basically the same setup as you. Only I was shooting through the dining room window and the flashes sitting on the outside window sill. I don't know your backlighting situation, but I always waited until the background was well lit. Set flashes to high speed sync. Normally shot at around 1/1000 sec. Adjusted iso and aperture so the background was lit. Oh, and stick a flower in one of the feeder holes.:)
    My Smugmug
    Scott Cromwell
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2016
    awesome shots, they really pop with that dark background.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2016
    looks like the experiment worked very well