Options

Star Cruise

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited June 30, 2016 in Landscapes
Chasing the night sky as Milky Way is up now! Catching moonless, fogless and cloudless night on coast is almost as hard as winning lotto. I keep trying though.....

All criticism is cherished!

1) Torch
1W7A8054-X3.jpg

2) Rendezvous
1W7A7462-X3.jpg

3) Kiss
1W7A7454-X3.jpg

4) Dance night
1W7A7978-Edit-Edit-X3.jpg

5) Land of Golden Dragons
1W7A7478-X3.jpg

6) Milk & The Fin
1W7A5148-X3.jpg

7) Blob
1W7A5169-X3.jpg

8) Star Bridge
1W7A5755-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2016
    Pigeon Point as a torch - priceless!! clap.gifclap
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2016
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Pigeon Point as a torch - priceless!! clap.gifclap

Thanks Jo!wings.gif
    Cheers!
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2016
    A nice set, a bit of light pollution in some images which is a distraction from the stars. I like the tumultuous feeling of the sea in #8.

I hope to have the opportunity to work on some night photography when I am in the rockies this Fall.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2016
    WowZer!!! The first on is my favorite; it is original for sure. It is like the light house is lighting the fuse! iloveyou.gifIt looks like the lighthouse and the little house are leaning a bit to the left?

All are stunning and you have the warms from the cliffs and the cool (last one) contrasted nicely. The last one is very space like which is my second favorite!!!

Are the footprints yours? mwink.gif

very, very nice
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2016
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    A nice set, a bit of light pollution in some images which is a distraction from the stars. I like the tumultuous feeling of the sea in #8.

I hope to have the opportunity to work on some night photography when I am in the rockies this Fall.

Phil

Thanks Phil! I think my ISO was too high. I had to go to f4 to keep the 'coma' problem in check somewhat and thus higher ISO. It picks up more than on needs. Still trying to come up with recipe that works. Cheers!

Edit: City of Santa Cruz is 5 miles away from most of these spots so that probably contributes some pollution on horizon on left.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2016
    Eia wrote: »
    WowZer!!! The first on is my favorite; it is original for sure. It is like the light house is lighting the fuse! iloveyou.gifIt looks like the lighthouse and the little house are leaning a bit to the left?

All are stunning and you have the warms from the cliffs and the cool (last one) contrasted nicely. The last one is very space like which is my second favorite!!!

Are the footprints yours? mwink.gif

very, very nice

Thanks Anna Maria! I can't say that enough!

I think this lighthouse is not straight but I should have tried....The fence below would lean upwards....maybe I can do layers....and fix lighthouse and little house below separately....bit beyond my processing comprehension....I would try it tonight though.

The footprints are probably mine.....:D

Cheers!
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2016
    I've come back to these about 5 times just to stare. Truly beautiful! Thanks Taz for taking the time to get these swell shots. My special favorite is #8 - the color balance works the best for me and the ocean glows like it's lit from below. Fab!

As usual I do have a couple of comments... :-) I felt like the color of the rocks in 2, 3, 4 & 5 was on the warm side - almost like they were lit with incandescent lights - in 6, 7, & 8 the color appeared more natural to me. I also felt like the noise reduction / sharpening was slightly heavy-handed especially in #6 but also in 4 & 5. But perhaps I'm just seeing things...

--- Sara
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2016
    I've come back to these about 5 times just to stare. Truly beautiful! Thanks Taz for taking the time to get these swell shots. My special favorite is #8 - the color balance works the best for me and the ocean glows like it's lit from below. Fab!

As usual I do have a couple of comments... :-) I felt like the color of the rocks in 2, 3, 4 & 5 was on the warm side - almost like they were lit with incandescent lights - in 6, 7, & 8 the color appeared more natural to me. I also felt like the noise reduction / sharpening was slightly heavy-handed especially in #6 but also in 4 & 5. But perhaps I'm just seeing things...

--- Sara

HI Sara, Thanks for taking time to comment! I needed that valuable feedback!

I pretty much agree with everything!

The 'warm rocks' however were intended based on what I read from a star National Geographic night shooter. He said he keeps his foreground warm and uses a yellow filter and keeps his skies cool. I am sure I went overboard. The rocks themselves are yellowish and orange in nature so I should have tried to light them without the filter and probably still get desired effect.

The ones you feel are not too warm, I am lucky because they were too far so didn't take the full brunt of the lighting.

The noise is heavy handed and I should have tried to play with it more......

Still ongoing learning process.....would like to get more star details, keep unwanted glow low, and paint just right etc.......I did not use blending but may have to experiment with it.

Many thanks and Cheers Sara!
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2016
    @Sara, for #6, I don't know why left side came out soft....I tried my darnedest to get sharp focus, but strangely enough it gave relatively sharp "fin" but ridge on left is mushy.........normally that doesn't happen, not in day time, the hyper-focal length takes care of keeping everything sharp after certain distance.....so I have to try this one again!

Cheers!
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Thanks Anna Maria! I can't say that enough!

I think this lighthouse is not straight but I should have tried....The fence below would lean upwards....maybe I can do layers....and fix lighthouse and little house below separately....bit beyond my processing comprehension....I would try it tonight though.

The footprints are probably mine.....:D

Cheers!

Oh i would not be concerened....i was just curious and the over all scene trumps the nit. I am not an expert but i figured ot to be your lens. Regardless....it is really a sweet photograph!
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,450 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2016
  • Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2016
    Sweet work, that first one is so awesome!

Lee
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2016
    Outstanding set, Taz! The latter pieces of the set are my favs, but all are spectacular :)
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2016
    Something that I've not done yet. Great job, no criticism from me.

Thanks Mike! Beginning of each month is our opportunity for moonless nights....but have to be fog-less too!
    Wiren wrote: »
    Sweet work, that first one is so awesome!

Lee

Thanks kindly Lee! Hope all your endeavors are going well!
    Outstanding set, Taz! The latter pieces of the set are my favs, but all are spectacular :)

Thanks a million JBR! Cheers!
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2016
    Bravo Taz! You're a hard-working photog! bowdown.gif
    My faves are the ones with more muted foregrounds and light painting...

1-3 aren't showing for me today - they were before, though.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2016
    Earache wrote: »
    Bravo Taz! You're a hard-working photog! bowdown.gif
    My faves are the ones with more muted foregrounds and light painting...

1-3 aren't showing for me today - they were before, though.

Thanks kindly Eric! Always great for me to hear from you! I deleted couple and tried to reprocess them.....
    Still working on finding a winning recipe.....
    Yeah in my mind I figured if I can light paint them strong that is one rendition but I think your input and others is that they prefer muted light painting.
    I will have to remember that on my next opportunity.

Below are some re-worked images (I went in other direction on some and was trying to make foreground where I light-painted, even more vibrant. I would try muted stuff, but for now enhancing what I actually intended). I also tried to get more details out of the stars and minimize light pollution.

I have noticed that whatever I do, for *night shot*, whatever I see in my LR, *never* shows up on web. Still trying to figure out where this disconnect comes from as it doesn't happen during day shots.

After I post night shots on web, they appear clearly dim and fuzzy, so losing both brightness and sharpness and can't figure out why it is happening.

Cheers!

1W7A8054-X3.jpg

1W7A7462-X3.jpg

1W7A7478-X3.jpg

1W7A7474_new-X3.jpg
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited June 19, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    @Sara, for #6, I don't know why left side came out soft....I tried my darnedest to get sharp focus, but strangely enough it gave relatively sharp "fin" but ridge on left is mushy.........normally that doesn't happen, not in day time, the hyper-focal length takes care of keeping everything sharp after certain distance.....so I have to try this one again!
    I got rid of my 16-35 because of issues just like this, Taz. I'm very happy with my new lens, although it only goes down to f/4.

Terrific set my friend. You've been burning the midnight oil. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2016
    kdog wrote: »
    I got rid of my 16-35 because of issues just like this, Taz. I'm very happy with my new lens, although it only goes down to f/4.

Terrific set my friend. You've been burning the midnight oil. deal.gif

Dearest Dog, be ready to bring your prime-time toy hopefully next month. If you are free....as those are the nights when moon is mostly out of the way.....

I want to see what both your lenses will do.....Samyang and other one...

Thanks kindly!bowdown.gifbarb
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited June 20, 2016
    Your pictures have gotten me fired-up for sure. Let's do this. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2016
    ^
    You guys.... Laughing.gif -- can't wait for your story!
  • Options
    SpenceSpence Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2016
    TAZ
    WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW! ..Spence
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2016
    Eia wrote: »
    ^
    You guys.... Laughing.gif -- can't wait for your story!

Cheers Anaa Maria!wings.gif
    Spence wrote: »
    TAZ
    WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW!!WOW!OW!!WOW!!WOW! ..Spence

Thanks kindly Spence! Will try to earn some of it next month if we get the fogless/cloudless/moonless nights! Cheers!:ivar
  • Options
    EvanThomasEvanThomas Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2016
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2016
    EvanThomas wrote: »
    Very nice stumblebum, I especially like Star Bridge :)

Yay Evan! Lots of inspiration from your night photography! Cheers!
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2016
    And the bandwagon keeps rolling along. Terrific work, Taz. If there's anyone on this forum that's not impressed with your growth as a photographer, and not inspired to " stretch " , as you do, to improve their craft....well, something's wrong with them.

Take care, my friend,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2016
    What Tom said..............................15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2016
    And the bandwagon keeps rolling along. Terrific work, Taz. If there's anyone on this forum that's not impressed with your growth as a photographer, and not inspired to " stretch " , as you do, to improve their craft....well, something's wrong with them.

Take care, my friend,

Tom
    Cavalier wrote: »
    What Tom said..............................15524779-Ti.gif

I am overjoyed and humbled Tom and Jo! wings.gifbow
    Wouldn't right words to thank you!
    Plan to keep on learning here!
    Cheers!