Underwater Swimming Duck

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited December 3, 2007 in Wildlife
OK, its not technically a duck, but they look better under water than above!

227825402-L.jpg

There is no consistent distinction between cormorants and shags. The names "cormorant" and "shag" were originally the common names of the two species of the family found in Great Britain, Phalacrocorax carbo (now referred to by ornithologists as the Great Cormorant) and P. aristotelis (the Common Shag). "Shag" refers to the bird's crest, which the British forms of the Great Cormorant lack. As other species were discovered by English-speaking sailors and explorers elsewhere in the world, some were called cormorants and some shags, depending on whether they had crests or not. Sometimes the same species is called a cormorant in one part of the world and a shag in another, e.g., the Great Cormorant is called the Black Shag in New Zealand (the birds found in Australasia have a crest that is absent in European members of the species). Van Tets (1976) proposed to divide the family into two genera and attach the name "Cormorant" to one and "Shag" to the other, but this flies in the face of common usage and has not been widely adopted.

Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    That is awesome! It almost looks like it was made by Tiffany.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    What a nice capture. Were you hovering over the water to be able to get this kind of shot?

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    well doneclap.gif & great infothumb.gif
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    How in the heck did you get this shot? What a great capture!
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    Maestro wrote:
    How in the heck did you get this shot? What a great capture!

Glass bottom boat? ne_nau.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Outstanding shot Z. clap.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Neat shot!
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    yukio wrote:
    What a nice capture. Were you hovering over the water to be able to get this kind of shot?

Cuong

Easier than that!

228435543-L.jpg

Can you figure it out yet?

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.