Options

http://digitalgrinphotography.blogspot.com/ reproducing dgrin content

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2014
    Jim,

Should you like to place a wager on this I am available. :D

This isn't about me being right and you being wrong, although that is the case. rolleyes1.gif It is about making sure many Dgrin users understand that they have not given up any rights.

While I couldn't find any Digital Grin terms of service, The Digital Grin website is owned by the same folks who own Smugmug.

Here is a portion of the SmugMug terms of service:

"You retain all intellectual property rights in and to any User Content you post, upload or otherwise make available through the Services, including the copyright in and to your Media. SmugMug does not claim any ownership, right, title or interest in and to your User Content.
    Notwithstanding the foregoing, by uploading and/or posting any User Content to the Site or otherwise by using the Services, you grant SmugMug a perpetual, nonexclusive and royalty-free right to use the User Content (and the user name that is submitted in connection with such User Content) as is reasonably necessary in order to enable SmugMug to provide the Services, including to display the User Content on the Services, to facilitate (at the Content Owner's direction) the license of Photos, or to process the sale of Products through the Services."

Lacking any contract to the contrary no person or organization can make any legitimate claims to your copyright. Again little dot is a period.

Sam
  • Options
    Jim McClainJim McClain Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2014
    You must be right. I am just talking through a hole in my face. I have taken the steps necessary to protect my photographs from being copied from dgrin. That also means they no longer appear on dgrin either. The text I have contributed is of absolutely no consequence and I have nothing more to contribute at this time.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2014
    Well this certainly takes all the fun out of posting images.... Just submitted five removal requests to google. :-(

And none of my exif copyright information is there now. That's been stripped out.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited December 6, 2014
    I just began filing my take down notices. Ugh. What a horrible process. And for each post here with photos embedded, I will need to make another filing. I just might begin attaching instead of embedding.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited December 6, 2014
    David_S85 wrote: »
    I just began filing my take down notices. Ugh. What a horrible process. And for each post here with photos embedded, I will need to make another filing. I just might begin attaching instead of embedding.
    It goes pretty fast once you get used to it rolleyes1.gif. I've started looking for my stuff the next day every time I start a new thread and filing the appropriate complaint.
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2014
    Just sent another take down notice.

I think Google is letting the bots take care of this., ether that or they are too busy counting their money.

Sam
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited December 8, 2014
    M38A1 wrote: »
    Well this certainly takes all the fun out of posting images.... Just submitted five removal requests to google. :-(

And none of my exif copyright information is there now. That's been stripped out.
    You sure about that? The images they post appear to be hot-links to your original content, not copies.
    Looking on their site, I see your picture here which has your EXIF info intact, exactly as it appears on your Smugmug site. http://digitalgrinphotography.blogspot.com/2014/10/first-tent-shots.html
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 9, 2014
    JAG wrote: »
    I filed a complaint. According to Google's TOU, they will delete the account if they receive 10 reports. I mentioned in my notes that I am a moderator here and that they have been copying content Daily since February 2014 directly from dgrin.com and that I would like ALL dgrin content removed immediately. Don't know if anything will come from it. I am just a mod.

I did the same but Google isn't responding as quickly as hoped
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2014
    I tried again yesterday to contact Google, hear after to be known as Digital Bigfoot, or DB for short.

Like Google's cousin the real "Bigfoot" many have claimed to have spotted him / her yet no
    one has objective proof of his / her existence.

DB has left some interesting digital bits and pieces that many claim as proof of DB's existence yet who has actually spoken with or seen DB in person?

I have verified that DB does in fact have a phone number. Unfortunately once dialed you are in a DB created maze of confusion. Question after question, repeated pressing of various numbered keys, then
    if you have waded through all this DB teases you into thinking your will be rewarded when told a customer rep will be with you shortly.

Fat chance.......................no one ever answers. :cry:cry:cry:cry

So the question remains does DB exist??

Sam
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2014
    Sam wrote: »
    So the question remains does DB exist??

They did respond in about a week to the first complaint I filed, but don't seem to have taken any action yet to five other complaints I filed later. It brings to mind the old Lily Tomlin Ernestine character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHgUN_95UAw

That was from almost 40 years ago. As the French saying goes, plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    You sure about that? The images they post appear to be hot-links to your original content, not copies.
    Looking on their site, I see your picture here which has your EXIF info intact, exactly as it appears on your Smugmug site. http://digitalgrinphotography.blogspot.com/2014/10/first-tent-shots.html

Hmmm.... I use LR for post and export and have the metadata boxes checked. And on import I put in the IPTC area three fields of me, copyright info and use. So I've always assumed that's in the file on export since I tell it to bring it to the images on import to LR. But when I went back to look at the source image, the copyright info isn't there. So I bounced over to LR and sure enough, the copyright metadata shows my preset that contains all that info. Hmmm....

Edit to add:
    And my stuff hasn't been taken down yet either now 10 days post request....
  • Options
    e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2014
    In response to my recent complaints, Google has just informed me that the site has been taken down. It seemed to have contained huge amounts of images and text from this site.

Harold
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2014
    Confirmed. "Blog not found"

clap.gif
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2014
    nod.gif

i-mP6bFKm-L.jpg

Ooops...hope that wasn't a copyright infringement. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2014
    We's done did it. clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif

Sam
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2014
    We's done did it. clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif

Sam

Also, as part of my campaign, I e-mailed four of the blog's advertisers, all photographers or retailers of photographic services or equipment, pointing out how they were paying for advertising and getting business at our expense. I never got a reply but they may now being looking for refunds. Oh joy! :D

Harold
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2014
    Ha! I got an automated email today from The Google stating:
    Hello, Thanks for reaching out to us.

Upon recent review of the following URL(s), we were unable to locate the content in question:

http : //digitalgrinphotography.blogspot.com/2014/11/ … . html"

If you believe this is in error and are still able to see the content at the URL(s) in question, please reply with additional information so we are able to investigate. If there was a mistake and the content is available at a different URL please file a new report.

Regards,
    The Google Team

One hand doesn't seem to know that the other hand swatted it down.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 19, 2014
    Yeah, I had received an email from google stating that it was taken down on the 16th. I guess we all got the same email from the complaints.
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2014
    JAG wrote: »
    Yeah, I had received an email from google stating that it was taken down on the 16th. I guess we all got the same email from the complaints.

I only got the review one, one copy for each of the 25 images I complained about individually, and no mention of date.

Harold
  • Options
    The Lazy DestroyerThe Lazy Destroyer Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2015
    It's happening again here:
    Admin Edit: Blog thief's site link removed by Dgrin forum administrators and moderators.
    My post from yesterday is up there along with probably other posts from here. And it is showing up on my SmugMug hits counter.
    I will skim through this thread to see what I need to do on my end up but a heads up.

I wasn't sure if I should do a new thread or just bump this one so I just kept it in here.
    ____Motoception Photography____
    www.motoception.com
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2015
    It's happening again here:
    Admin Edit: Blog thief's site link removed by Dgrin forum administrators and moderators.
    My post from yesterday is up there along with probably other posts from here. And it is showing up on my SmugMug hits counter.
    I will skim through this thread to see what I need to do on my end up but a heads up.

I wasn't sure if I should do a new thread or just bump this one so I just kept it in here.

This looks like the same donkey.

We need to jump through some more flaming hoops and see if Google has sufficient brain power to see this guy and his postings for what they are.

Off to post a complaint to Google.

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2015
    This looks like the same donkey.
    15524779-Ti.gif Yep, little doubt. There aren't any ads yet, but there weren't any when the last one first started.

Personally, I find it frustrating that there doesn't seem to be any way to get Google to pay attention to systematic content farming. They make reference to some "instructions above," but these are no where to be found. I suppose I'll file complaints, but TBH, it's really more a matter of principle than a business concern. This asshat is not trying to sell our pics, but rather is just running a ad-click scam using our stuff as bait.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2015
    I just sent in a take down complaint notice along with:

This is an add I posted on Digital Grin, a photography forum. This blogger, Muslim, appears to be the same person I along with many other Digital Grin forum members complained about starting about Nov 2014 and was taken down in Dec 2014.

The entire site called "Vision Mobile" is comprised of auto snatching and re-posting of images and text exclusively from the Digital Grin forum.

If you look at this bloggers site you will see it is simply auto re-posting posts from other legitimate forums.

Please take this site down and prevent the user from recreating the blog site under a new name.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2015
    It is identical to the previous one, only the url changed.

That is a good move, Sam. I have replied to one of the take-down notification e-mails from Google last time, saying that the identical thing is happening and giving the blog address.

I can't make and official complaints today but my images are there.

Harold
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2015
    I submitted one of Google's copyright infringement takedown forms linked earlier on this thread, I hope they take notice.
    www.motoception.com
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2015
    I submitted one of Google's copyright infringement takedown forms linked earlier on this thread, I hope they take notice.

This is a new one...please send them one for this new site.

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2015
    Yep, I did this form for the webpage I had posted ( [ Admin Edit: Blog thief's site link removed by Dgrin forum administrators and moderators. ] ).
    www.motoception.com
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2015
    Sheesh. What a pain. Again. Thanks, TLD, for noticing this and posting here. And people keep asking me why I bother to watermark all my photos I put up in posts. This is the reason.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2015
    No problem, I only caught it because once every few weeks I get curious what pings my SmugMug account.
    Least I can do is let everyone know (and submit a copyright infringement form at Google) because it kinda irks me to see the content get copied.

I've been removing watermarks in images I post here so it doesn't detract for any critiquing (my 'marks are a bit larger) but I'll probably just keep the watermarked ones just in case. It's easier for me that way anyways.
    www.motoception.com
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2015
    No problem, I only caught it because once every few weeks I get curious what pings my SmugMug account.
    Least I can do is let everyone know (and submit a copyright infringement form at Google) because it kinda irks me to see the content get copied.

I've been removing watermarks in images I post here so it doesn't detract for any critiquing (my 'marks are a bit larger) but I'll probably just keep the watermarked ones just in case. It's easier for me that way anyways.
    I also have filled in a copyright infringement form as they snatched two of my images from Digrin yesterday or today.