Options

Recent change in duplicate detection?

AdSRAdSR Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
edited December 21, 2014 in SmugMug Support
First of all, I'm not complaining by any measure. I'm just curious.

The "skip duplicates" feature of the uploader apparently is now case-insensitive (it wasn't) so if I have P1011307.JPG (from camera) and P1011307.jpg (raw export) I can't upload both by default. Was that an intentional change?

This behavior actually seems logical. The "uppercase bit" is something most users probably prefer to ignore, and so does the Windows file system. :)

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited December 19, 2014
    AdSR wrote: »
    The "skip duplicates" feature of the uploader apparently is now case-insensitive (it wasn't) so if I have P1011307.JPG (from camera) and P1011307.jpg (raw export) I can't upload both by default. Was that an intentional change?

It was part of the recent change to the duplicate detection and was intentional. Let me confirm with the Engineer though.
    AdSR wrote: »
    This behavior actually seems logical. The "uppercase bit" is something most users probably prefer to ignore, and so does the Windows file system. :)

We obviously love to hear customer feedback. Is this how you'd like it to work, where it will treat .JPG the same as .jpg?
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2014
    I don't see any relevance for case sensitive for uploading. But I do see case-sensitivity important for case sensitive file names being preserved.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    AdSRAdSR Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2014
    leftquark wrote: »
    It was part of the recent change to the duplicate detection and was intentional. Let me confirm with the Engineer though.

We obviously love to hear customer feedback. Is this how you'd like it to work, where it will treat .JPG the same as .jpg?

I don't have a preference and have no problem with how it is now. I just have been taking advantage of case-sensitive behavior when it was available. I'll just use a different naming scheme or allow duplicates. Problem solved. No, wait, it isn't a problem. :)
  • Options
    agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2014
    leftquark wrote: »

Yes, .JPG same as .jpg
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    I don't see any relevance for case sensitive for uploading. But I do see case-sensitivity important for case sensitive file names being preserved.

Agree.
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)