Options

Flash photography

BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited December 25, 2014 in People
Hello ,

I dont use my flash a lot but whenever I do I noticed that my pictures are a bit dark when taking group of people or people surrounded with props, trees........
If I got closer or zoom in the pictures are much better?
I probably should post a few pictures on dgrin...... kind of forgot how to do it :scratch:scratch:scratch:scratch

thanks for any help

Philippe
:photo

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2014
    Shoot in P or Av or Tv or M and turn up your ISO to brighten the background.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2014
    I think we'd need an example here.

so far, it sounds like you're shooting in TTL mode.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited December 17, 2014
    I probably should post a few pictures on dgrin...... kind of forgot how to do it
    In the FAQs for the forum, start at How to Embed an Image in Your Post.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2014
    Kind of dark in some area .
    TTL yes tried to used manual but didnt have time to adjust and am not to familiar with the flash Cannon 580 EX

The two first pictures have the same setting yet one is much darker than the othe one is it because the TTL is not focusing at the same point of reference?
    I wish that I could just point the camer and shoot as I do during day time :{{{{

Thanks

http://www.bountyphotographie.com/Clients/Night-shooting/i-C3ZvTcw/0/L/noel%202-L.jpg

http://www.bountyphotographie.com/Clients/Night-shooting/i-hjRr5GB/0/L/noel%201-L.jpg

http://www.bountyphotographie.com/Clients/Night-shooting/i-5KxZxLd/0/L/noel%203-L.jpg

http://www.bountyphotographie.com/Clients/Night-shooting/i-fkNNzGb/0/L/noel4-L.jpg
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2014
    When you use any camera as a point-n-shoot, this is what you get. It's not a problem with the camera or flash. It looks like the fellow in the 2nd shot is wearing a brighter shirt than the lady in the first shot, and this could have fooled the camera. Or maybe the flash wasn't fully charged up when you took that shot. For the first two (and maybe all of them) you should have bounced the flash off the wall or ceiling. http://www.jmphotocraft.com/Family/2013/Christmas-2013/i-NQSSKNp/1/XL/5D3_1343-XL.jpg. Bouncing the flash will eliminate the bad shadow behind your subject, and will cast softer light at them from the side or above, creating more dimensional light.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2014
    When you use any camera as a point-n-shoot, this is what you get. It's not a problem with the camera or flash. It looks like the fellow in the 2nd shot is wearing a brighter shirt than the lady in the first shot, and this could have fooled the camera. Or maybe the flash wasn't fully charged up when you took that shot. For the first two (and maybe all of them) you should have bounced the flash off the wall or ceiling. http://www.jmphotocraft.com/Family/2013/Christmas-2013/i-NQSSKNp/1/XL/5D3_1343-XL.jpg. Bouncing the flash will eliminate the bad shadow behind your subject, and will cast softer light at them from the side or above, creating more dimensional light.

+1. You're not going to get great results using your camera as a P&S (day or night).
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2014
    bounce bounce bounce! direct flash is a sin against all humanity!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2014
    Qarik wrote: »
    bounce bounce bounce! direct flash is a sin against all humanity!

where is that like button when I need it?!
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2014
    I toatally agree with the direct flash in your face but bouncing of the ceiling or wall was not possible.
    Batteries might not have been fully charged I m using AA eneloop
    Sounds silly but indoor with poor lighting I have to use P mode otherwise its too dark using A & T mode
  • Options
    trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2014
    I toatally agree with the direct flash in your face but bouncing of the ceiling or wall was not possible.
    Sounds silly but indoor with poor lighting I have to use P mode otherwise its too dark using A & T mode

If you can't bounce, try diffusing the light and aiming to the side or behind the subject.
    I use Sanyo AA eneloop and love them...with a full charge, they last me 200 shots or so.
    I shoot in exclusively in A or M, even in poor nightclub (without the strobes) lighting.

Below photos were taken at the W Hotel in a dark dark room.

i-5rMRq8m-L.jpg

i-z9Pfk88-L.jpg

i-ZKGCj7T-L.jpg

i-x7qJ942-L.jpg

i-SRJ9gG3-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2014

you don't have to use the P mode. M, always M..

I always set my flashes to manual mode as well. Find the exposure that works, and go from there.
    Enelops are some of the best batteries i've ever used. I go through one set during weddings (just once did I hit two sets)

You can always bump the ISO higher, if you don't get enough exposure.

If you have no capability of bouncing flash (which, by the way, you had full capacity to do, judging by example images). you can always use a bounce card, slow shutter speed to below 1/50, bump ISO and use flash to freeze the motion.
    Even with popup flash you can do some creative things to diffuse the light.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2014

Did you even try bounce? Manual mode takes care of a great number of things.

You can also use P mode in ttl mode and bounce as the flash will compensate.