Video Codecs, Formats and Conversions

Comments

• StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    hmm, well... maybe not. unless you dig into the settings more and figure out so to wrangle it into doing what you want. here's a (4x3 w/letterboxed widescreen) vid on which I used "autosize = 1:1" and set the height & width to 160: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0lRqz9PzFg

squished and pretty ugly.

original and tests are at http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=PirateT7
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,762 moderator
    edited April 20, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

I did a small favor for a friend, cutting some talking head footage that was shot in widescreen HD. He wants a little bitty square video to play in flash on his web page. But whatever I output did not work for the web guys. I could NOT get a square output with the anamorphic settings right. He was either stretched or squished.

Anybody have an easy way for me to take the HD footage, just crop off the sides and have it end up being a nice, square flash file?

David,

I found this:

http://www.geniusdv.com/news_and_tutorials/2008/01/outputting-16-by-9-as-4-by-3-in-final-cut-pro.php

I suspect that will letterbox the 16:9 sequence but I would think you could apply a crop during the import?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Which format and why??
    Simple question really, once you have produced your masterpiece, which format do you prefer to export it to, windows video, quicktime, mpeg??

Any particular reason??

Tim
    edited April 21, 2008
    I'm still SD DV and if it's an important project I send the whole thing into a DV file on the computer first. Then I "print" that back to the camcorder to fix and finalize the changes.

From there I usually burn a DVD using a set-top/standalone burner.

If it's really important I will often also transcode the DV file into MPEG-2, and copy that onto a data DVD.

If I want to copy it to SmugMug I usually transcode the DV into H.264 to save time in the upload and so I can verify quality on my machine.

If it's something for YouTube i'll convert to FLV, 320x240, 25fps.

That about covers it.
    ziggy53
  • vaio2006vaio2006 Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    Hm.. way back when (like back in 1999) I use to make wmv files for streaming stuff online...

now-a-days, I export everything to QuickTime or DV files. I haven't quite made the transition to HDCAM / XDCAM HD yet, but once I do, probably going to stick with Quicktime or AVI files.....
  • TAKE-N-IMAGESTAKE-N-IMAGES Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 21, 2008
    Video Customization Codes
    DI-Joe wrote:
    Nice timing on the forum.

I'm a bit of a video guru myself, specifically with codec/conversions and directshow filters.

I do a lot of device compatability, so if you're wondering if x-type codec plays on x-type device, go ahead and ask me. :)

I work with everything from cellphone video to 4K(if you have a year to render)

Hey DI-Joe,

Do you know the customization codes to make videos play automaticly(like on the Homepage) & how to hide the Smugmug Logo.
    I appreciate your time.

Fish
  • DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Hey DI-Joe,

Do you know the customization codes to make videos play automaticly(like on the Homepage) & how to hide the Smugmug Logo.
    I appreciate your time.

Fish

I'm not sure just yet, the default ones you might expect dont' work with the shiz player so that's out. I hear tell that smugmug will be documenting the variables. I thought about grabbing the SWF and extracting the variables myself, but I'm far too lazy. I'd rather they just tell me.
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    I'm new to video and man is this confusing. I bought a new Sony HDR-SR12. It's HD (1920x1080) and records in AVCHD to it's hard disk. I wrongly assumed when I bought it that Smugmug would support it's video format, but after several failed upload attempts, it has been confirmed that Smugmug doesn't support the video format that comes out of the camera. Bummer.

So, I've been struggling for over 24 hours now to find something that can convert it to something that Smugmug understands. The software that comes with the camera won't save to any other HD format. Per Tristan's advice in another thread, I first tried VirtualDub, but it couldn't open my videos at all.

Then, he suggested I try MPEG Streamclip. I downloaded that, but it needed QuickTime stuff that's beyond the free QuickTime from Apple which I didn't have. So, I followed it's suggestions and deinstalled QuickTime from Apple and installed QuickTime Alternative, but even after doing that, MPEG Streamclip still says it doesn't have all the QuickTime stuff it needs. So, I gave up on that option.

At this point, I had no other ideas for a free converter that would do the job. If anyone else has any good ideas, I'm all ears. At this point, I just want to do format conversion to a Smugmug-supported HD format and probably trimming. I'll save video editing for later.

So if I can't find a free program, I figured I'd have to buy something. I decided to try the free trial of Sony Vegas Move Studio Platinum. Since it's made by Sony, it ought to support my camera files. Sure enough, it does.

But, now I have to figure out what format to save it to for Smugmug. I've never seen such a daunting array of choices full of acronyms I have no idea what they mean. To save, I have a choice of 16 formats and each format has a choice of 5-20 video codes and audio codecs and each of those has 5-10 settings within them (compression levels, bit rates, etc...). I really have no idea what a good choice is for Smugmug upload that will preserve as much quality as possible from the original and not be any larger than it needs to be to preserve that quality.

My choice of save formats are:
    AVC/AAC MP4
    MPEG-1
    MPEG-2
    OGG
    MOV
    RM
    SONY AVC/AAC MP4
    AVI
    WAV
    WMA
    WMV

Given that I'm starting in AVCHD, what should I convert to before uploading to Smugmug? And what video and audio codecs should I use? By my calculations there are several hundred permutations of choices here and I'm hoping for some guidance on what is best.

Also, my camera records in 5.1 sound, but I think that's not supported by Smugmug. Does that means I have to do something else to the sound?

Man, what a mess. I've never pissed away so much time in my life trying to figure this out. All I'm tryhing to do is get a 45 second HD video up on my site from my brand new Sony camera. I've gotten a low-res MPEG2 version up, but don't know what choices will get a full res 1920x1080 version up.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    John,

Video codecs are truly horrendous. I work in video every day, but thankfully never have to worry about it, since I'm all offline, DV, and I have assistants to worry about things that aren't.

I have no help to offer, just that I hear ya, brother.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited June 2, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I'm new to video and man is this confusing. I bought a new Sony HDR-SR12. It's HD (1920x1080) and records in AVCHD to it's hard disk. I wrongly assumed when I bought it that Smugmug would support it's video format, but after several failed upload attempts, it has been confirmed that Smugmug doesn't support the video format that comes out of the camera. Bummer.

So, I've been struggling for over 24 hours now to find something that can convert it to something that Smugmug understands. The software that comes with the camera won't save to any other HD format. Per Tristan's advice in another thread, I first tried VirtualDub, but it couldn't open my videos at all.

Then, he suggested I try MPEG Streamclip. I downloaded that, but it needed QuickTime stuff that's beyond the free QuickTime from Apple which I didn't have. So, I followed it's suggestions and deinstalled QuickTime from Apple and installed QuickTime Alternative, but even after doing that, MPEG Streamclip still says it doesn't have all the QuickTime stuff it needs. So, I gave up on that option.

At this point, I had no other ideas for a free converter that would do the job. If anyone else has any good ideas, I'm all ears. At this point, I just want to do format conversion to a Smugmug-supported HD format and probably trimming. I'll save video editing for later.

So if I can't find a free program, I figured I'd have to buy something. I decided to try the free trial of Sony Vegas Move Studio Platinum. Since it's made by Sony, it ought to support my camera files. Sure enough, it does.

But, now I have to figure out what format to save it to for Smugmug. I've never seen such a daunting array of choices full of acronyms I have no idea what they mean. To save, I have a choice of 16 formats and each format has a choice of 5-20 video codes and audio codecs and each of those has 5-10 settings within them (compression levels, bit rates, etc...). I really have no idea what a good choice is for Smugmug upload that will preserve as much quality as possible from the original and not be any larger than it needs to be to preserve that quality.

AVC/AAC MP4
    MPEG-1
    MPEG-2
    OGG
    MOV
    RM
    SONY AVC/AAC MP4
    AVI
    WAV
    WMA
    WMV

Given that I'm starting in AVCHD, what should I convert to before uploading to Smugmug? And what video and audio codecs should I use? By my calculations there are several hundred permutations of choices here and I'm hoping for some guidance on what is best.

Also, my camera records in 5.1 sound, but I think that's not supported by Smugmug. Does that means I have to do something else to the sound?

Man, what a mess. I've never pissed away so much time in my life trying to figure this out. All I'm tryhing to do is get a 45 second HD video up on my site from my brand new Sony camera. I've gotten a low-res MPEG2 version up, but don't know what choices will get a full res 1920x1080 version up.

I think I may give up on Sony Vegas Platinum. Apparently, it will NOT save to true 1080i (only 720). You need the pro version of the product ($549) just to do a basic edit and save what came from the camera at full 1080i/p. Man, this is ridiculous.

Despite what I've read on the net about their program stability, I may have to try the trial versions of ULEAD and Pinnacle.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited June 2, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    John,

Video codecs are truly horrendous. I work in video every day, but thankfully never have to worry about it, since I'm all offline, DV, and I have assistants to worry about things that aren't.

I have no help to offer, just that I hear ya, brother.

David, are there any good forums that talk about video editing software where I might find some experts in this stuff?

Somebody must know what good mid-level editing software is for all these new AVCHD video cameras that could both read the Sony files and save to one of the Smugmug support formats. I think that rather than wasting a whole another day, I need to find people who know about this stuff.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    I don't follow those forums, but I do know about this one.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • phototristanphototristan Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    I recommend either a .mov or .avi with the h.264 codec, AAC 128kbps audio (stereo or mono).

If you can't do the h.264 codec, just make sure your video uses one of our supported codecs and you should be fine. Here's the list:

http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/Video+Formats

I hope this helps.

jfriend wrote:

AVC/AAC MP4
    MPEG-1
    MPEG-2
    OGG
    MOV
    RM
    SONY AVC/AAC MP4
    AVI
    WAV
    WMA
    WMV

Tristan
    Suport Hero
    Smugmug
    http://help.smugmug.com/
    edited June 3, 2008
    I recommend either a .mov or .avi with the h.264 codec, AAC 128kbps audio (stereo or mono).

If you can't do the h.264 codec, just make sure your video uses one of our supported codecs and you should be fine. Here's the list:

http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/Video+Formats

I hope this helps.

The only program I've found so far that can read my camera's files, doesn't write h.264 codec. Is there a second favorite codec?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited June 3, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    David, are there any good forums that talk about video editing software where I might find some experts in this stuff?

Somebody must know what good mid-level editing software is for all these new AVCHD video cameras that could both read the Sony files and save to one of the Smugmug support formats. I think that rather than wasting a whole another day, I need to find people who know about this stuff.

What does Sony have to say?
    ziggy53
    edited June 3, 2008
    jfriend wrote:

AVC/AAC MP4
    MPEG-1
    MPEG-2
    OGG
    MOV
    RM
    SONY AVC/AAC MP4
    AVI
    WAV
    WMA
    WMV

John,

It would appear that if you load "FFMPEG" on your system, Vegas will recognize it and allow h.264 output. It is freeware. No idea if it will work with the trial version or not. No idea if it supports 1080.

Audio may still be a problem. Will your camcorder record in stereo instead of 5:1? (Audio Mode, page 69 in your manual.)

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ffmpeg
    ziggy53
    edited June 3, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    John,

It would appear that if you load "FFMPEG" on your system, Vegas will recognize it and allow h.264 output. It is freeware. No idea if it will work with the trial version or not. No idea if it supports 1080.

Audio may still be a problem. Will your camcorder record in stereo instead of 5:1? (Audio Mode, page 69 in your manual.)

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ffmpeg

I can't find any way to use FFMPEG in Vegas. As best I can find, it's just a command line utility (with support for a zillion formats and codecs), but I haven't found a way to "install" codecs into your system with it. If you see any references to how to use it directly in Vegas, I'd love some pointers.

What I did find is a way to add a lossless, high quality video codec to your system (huffyuv), render using that in Vegas (to a huge file), then take that file and use FFMPEG on it to render to h.264. There's a tutorial describing how to do this here. It's not for the faint of heart and, unfortunately, seems to show how complicated this all can get. What a mess!
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited June 3, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I can't find any way to use FFMPEG in Vegas. As best I can find, it's just a command line utility (with support for a zillion formats and codecs), but I haven't found a way to "install" codecs into your system with it. If you see any references to how to use it directly in Vegas, I'd love some pointers.

What I did find is a way to add a lossless, high quality video codec to your system (huffyuv), render using that in Vegas (to a huge file), then take that file and use FFMPEG on it to render to h.264. There's a tutorial describing how to do this here. It's not for the faint of heart and, unfortunately, seems to show how complicated this all can get. What a mess!

John,

I'm a couple hundred miles from my machine now or I would try some things, even if only on my older version of Vegas, that might give a hint how it works.

The best discussion I can find just now seems to indicate that the FFMPEG might be available to Vegas using the "FFDShow" filter (discussion here):

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/update-for-sony-vegas-7-0-e-t328693.html

FFDShow here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=173941

There's a good chance I am not thinking correctly (all those "FFs" start to look the same.) Hopefully, there is an answer here somewhere.
    ziggy53
    edited June 3, 2008
    jfriend wrote:

Well, I did finally succeed in getting what I wanted up onto Smugmug. Here's what I had to do (I still think there has to be a better way):
    1. Install the Huffuv 2.1.1 lossless codec from here.
    2. Right click on the .INF file in that codec and pick install. This installs the codec into Windows (which then makes it available in Sony Vegas)
    3. Open my video in Sony Vegas
    4. Select Render As, select .AVI as the file type and pick a bunch of options as described here in step 3 here. Note that the steps 4-6 in that same article didn't work for me. FFMPEG just crashed on me everytime, so I ended up using Super (described below). For the purposes of this workflow, just read step 3 in that article.
    5. Save this file out as an uncompressed AVI
    6. Now download and install Super which is a Windows GUI on top of a bunch of different converters (FFMPEG among them).
    7. Open Super and pick MOV output container, H.264/AVC output video codec, AAC output audio codec, 1280x720, 16x9, stretch to fill, AAC as the audio codec, set the output directory to the same directory as the source file, pick the uncompressed AVI file we previously generated and tell it to Encode.
    8. Finally I ended up with a 1280x720 H.264 video file that Smugmug can read. Curiously, my end file was only 1/4 the size of my previous attempts and it looked just as good so that's good for upload time too. Perhaps that's because of how good the H.264 compression is.
    So anyway, I wouldn't say I'm pleased with all the steps of the workflow and heaven knows this is certainly not something most people can figure out how to do, but I at least know how to get a video up online now.

The bugaboo seems to be that neither Smugmug nor any of the free converters can read the Sony AVCHD out of the camera. I wonder why that is?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited June 3, 2008
    jfriend wrote:

The bugaboo seems to be that neither Smugmug nor any of the free converters can read the Sony AVCHD out of the camera. I wonder why that is?

If I understand the current situation, the Sony variant of AVCHD that is used in the HDR-SR12 is simply different enough that many of the current software cannot properly "decode" the source video. Likewise, you can not take a Sony AVCHD file and load it into a Panasonic camcorder with AVCHD and expect it to play.

It appears that each manufacturer is able to design their own "tweeks" into their own products, making the resulting files incompatible.

There is a wiki about AVCHD that might help to understand the format, but it does not get into the differences between the "dialects" of the same format:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD
    ziggy53
  • cfurlongcfurlong Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 6, 2008
    I have the complete Adobe Suite and have been using Flash Video Encoder to make FLVs with On2 VP6 and getting great results. I just did one this morning that was a 600mb DV format 29.97fps @ 640x480, and the FLV ended up at 18mb and looks great. Unfortunatelly, SmugMug doesn't accept FLV. I compressed the same file in QTpro with H.264 and the file ended up being 213mb and didn't look as good (got to figure out interlacing issue in QTpro). This could be due to audio codec, as I don't knwo them as well as video.

I'm new to the forum and will dig around to find out what other people have been using.
    edited August 6, 2008
    Hi, we do accept flv!:

http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Video+Formats

cfurlong wrote:
    I have the complete Adobe Suite and have been using Flash Video Encoder to make FLVs with On2 VP6 and getting great results. I just did one this morning that was a 600mb DV format 29.97fps @ 640x480, and the FLV ended up at 18mb and looks great. Unfortunatelly, SmugMug doesn't accept FLV. I compressed the same file in QTpro with H.264 and the file ended up being 213mb and didn't look as good (got to figure out interlacing issue in QTpro). This could be due to audio codec, as I don't knwo them as well as video.

I'm new to the forum and will dig around to find out what other people have been using.
    Tristan
    Suport Hero
    Smugmug
    edited August 8, 2008

Ah...I see the problem now...the file is only 18mb, but it's over 2.5 minutes long. Strange requirement by the way. Doesn't seem like the length of a movie would matter, just the file size. Oh well, I'll keep using Ning for music videos ;-(
    edited August 8, 2008
    We use length because it's a bit easier to understand for many.

When I shoot a video clip with my video camera, I really have no idea how large the file is going to be, but I always know how long it is. Also, a video can grow and shrink in file size depending upon many factors such as video compression, audio bit rate, etc, etc. Whereas the length of the video is a constant.
    Tristan
    Suport Hero
    Smugmug
  • JDSXJDSX Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    Every time I try to convert a 1920x1080 mpg file to h.264 in Super the sound ends up out-of-sync with the video. This is becoming a real problem for me because some of my videos are too large to upload to Smugmug. When Smugmug does the automatic conversion post-upload it stays synched; I can't explain or fix it.
    JDS
    edited August 19, 2008
    We use length because it's a bit easier to understand for many.

When I shoot a video clip with my video camera, I really have no idea how large the file is going to be, but I always know how long it is. Also, a video can grow and shrink in file size depending upon many factors such as video compression, audio bit rate, etc, etc. Whereas the length of the video is a constant.

Exactly...as codecs improve, file sizes are going to get smaller as video quality goes up. If the restriction is based on storage, better codecs should allow us to have longer videos with less storage. As technology in general improves, longer videos at higher qualities will be easier to stream, but 2.5 minutes will always be 2.5 minutes, so we won't benefit from new technology or techniques.

I've just never seen storage limits based on time. Wierd convention IMO.
    edited August 19, 2008
    Many if not most other video sites certainly do have time requirements. Flickr limits you to 90 seconds, YouTube is 10 minutes as examples.
    cfurlong wrote:
    I've just never seen storage limits based on time. Wierd convention IMO.
    Tristan
    Suport Hero
    Smugmug
    edited August 21, 2008
    JDSX wrote:
    Every time I try to convert a 1920x1080 mpg file to h.264 in Super the sound ends up out-of-sync with the video. This is becoming a real problem for me because some of my videos are too large to upload to Smugmug. When Smugmug does the automatic conversion post-upload it stays synched; I can't explain or fix it.

What are your settings for Super?

Make sure the video (green) Frames/sec is 29.97.
    ziggy53
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 17, 2008
    exporting in QT makes it bigger?!
    When I convert from .avi to .m4v using Quicktime Pro (Export > to iPod, w/default settings), why do my files get bigger? Case in point - a 35 minute movie was 350mb as the .avi, after conversion to .m4v, it was over 450mb. That is a really big increase.

What gives? Also, QT won't let me alter the default settings when I select "to ipod" (all grayed out).

20081117-jj2k8mg9ydip9h4snw8m7cqp7w.jpg
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Sony AVCHD to SmugMug with Sony Vegas
    jfriend wrote:
    Well, I did finally succeed in getting what I wanted up onto Smugmug. Here's what I had to do (I still think there has to be a better way):

So anyway, I wouldn't say I'm pleased with all the steps of the workflow and heaven knows this is certainly not something most people can figure out how to do, but I at least know how to get a video up online now.
    John, I'm in almost the exact same predicament as you. I have a Sony HDR-SR11 and want to upload movies from it to SmugMug.

The good news is, I've figured out how to do this using only Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum. I simply import the m2t files from the camera into Vegas, then render them with "Make Movie" from the file menu. The "trick" was that I had to make a custom render template under the "Advanced Render" option in the "Make Movie - Render Settings" dialog. In brief, the video render options I selected were:

Type: Sony AVC (*.mp4, *.m2tx, *.avc)
    Template: Custom
    Video Format: AVC
    Frame Size: (Custom frame size)
    Width: 1280
    Height: 720
    Profile: Main
    Entropy Coding: CABAC
    Frame rate: 29.970 (NTSC)
    Field Order: None (progressive scan)
    Pixel Aspect: 1.0000
    Bit rate: 4,000,000

The key here, really, is the AVC format, which encodes video in H.264. I haven't tried it, but I'm sure you can change the other parameters. I chose to render to 720p since that's SmugMug's max resolution.

I end up with an *.mp4 file I can upload to SmugMug without a hitch.

If you want to try it and need more info, let me know. I can give you a bit more of a step-by-step process with screen shots.