The beach

2mo2mo Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited August 16, 2013 in Location, Location, Location!
Me and the family are going t the beach for vacation in 2 weeks and I have never shot at the beach. I would love any ideas. i will have myself-wife-2 teenage girls-my 1y/o grandson but am clueless on what to do......I dont own any filters which I was told is important for beach work?

Thanks for any advice.
J. Tuminello
Tuminello Photography

Comments

• rexbobcatrexbobcat Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    I would consider a polarizing filter as well as a graduated density filter.

The polarizing filter can cut down on glare from the water if you don't like the "shiny" quality of it, and the graduated density filter keeps your skies from being overexposed if you want to photograph some beach/sunset landscapes before sunset.
  • 2mo2mo Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    Thanks rexbobcat. I looked online and for 2 lenses it would be around $160. I may have to wait till birthday or Christmas, but thank you for advice. Im thinking increase shutter - use fill and maybe have a usable background with my subject. Im sure it will be a learning experience.
    J. Tuminello
    Tuminello Photography
  • kd2kd2 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    For portrait shots at the beach, I usually shoot early morning or late afternoon for the best light. Mid-day is just way too bright with all the sand and water.

I generally expose for the background and use an on-camera or off-camera fill. I don't use any filters for portrait work. The trick is to match your fill to the ambient light so it looks natural.

Oh, and for sunset portraits at the beach, I do silhouette shots and just expose for the sunset and don't bother with a flash.
    ~Kathy
    Success Coach, Motivational Speaker, Professional Photographer
    "Enriching Lives through Images and Inspiration"
    www.kathleendavenport.com

edited March 9, 2012
    Thank you KD2 I really appreciate the post and all your advice
    J. Tuminello
    Tuminello Photography
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2012
    kd2 wrote: »
    For portrait shots at the beach, I usually shoot early morning or late afternoon for the best light. Mid-day is just way too bright with all the sand and water.

I generally expose for the background and use an on-camera or off-camera fill. I don't use any filters for portrait work. The trick is to match your fill to the ambient light so it looks natural.

Oh, and for sunset portraits at the beach, I do silhouette shots and just expose for the sunset and don't bother with a flash.

Same here...works great.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    Like others said: early morning, or late evening. East coasters are going to have sun in the subject faces in the evening, and it will provide nice color, but if you add flash, getting skin tones right is troublesome. You will likely be adding flash to fill and balance. West Coasters don't have this problem in evening, but do in morning (think about it).

- I always have my reflector and use it to fill and balance the sunlight...a must have.
    - I find that an off camera flash, mounted on a stand is extremely helpful. A carbon-based, voice activated stand works as well.
    - Take a whitebalance reference, its mandatory to ensure consistent whites as the the sun shifts in the sky, and or clouds move.
    - Change lenses in a bag if you can, keeps sand and dust at minimum.

And finally, this one from several frustrating, but very short beach sessions: DO NOT KEEP YOUR CAMERA IN AC BEFORE THE SHOOT. Put your camera bag in the car trunk several hours before the shoot, and take it directly from the trunk to the shoot. If it is in Air Conditioning, the lens, viewfinder and even the mirror will fog up completely when it hits that moist, warm air.

PS, don't do what I did in this image: don't split subject's heads with the horizon. Taking a ladder can be helpful.

1014148832_VqJEt-M.jpg
  • kd2kd2 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    cmason wrote: »

A carbon-based, voice activated stand works as well.

Yes, those are the best! I always try to have one or two along when I do beach sessions.
    ~Kathy
    Success Coach, Motivational Speaker, Professional Photographer
    "Enriching Lives through Images and Inspiration"
    www.kathleendavenport.com

• FishEyeJohnFishEyeJohn Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    2mo wrote: »
    Me and the family are going t the beach for vacation in 2 weeks and I have never shot at the beach. I would love any ideas. i will have myself-wife-2 teenage girls-my 1y/o grandson but am clueless on what to do......I dont own any filters which I was told is important for beach work?

Thanks for any advice.

The main thing I would suggest is that make sure who hold the camera equipement in a safe water tight place and free from any sand getting in! That would be the worst if something got in there!

:cry
    “ Beauty can be seen in all things, seeing and composing the beauty is what separates the snapshot from the photograph. – Matt Hardy

“ You don’t take a photograph, you make it. - Ansel Adams
  • RStrickRStrick Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 3, 2012
    cmason wrote: »
    And finally, this one from several frustrating, but very short beach sessions: DO NOT KEEP YOUR CAMERA IN AC BEFORE THE SHOOT. Put your camera bag in the car trunk several hours before the shoot, and take it directly from the trunk to the shoot. If it is in Air Conditioning, the lens, viewfinder and even the mirror will fog up completely when it hits that moist, warm air.

Yep, missed a few spontaneous family shots bringing the camera out from the AC. Good call. thumb.gif
    edited May 14, 2012
    THANKS FOR THE ADVICE EVERYONE. HERE ARE A FEW. ALL COMMENTS WELCOME

IMG8892-X2.jpg
    IMG8941-XL.jpg
    IMG9003-X2.jpg
    IMG8912-X2.jpg
    J. Tuminello
    Tuminello Photography
  • JaimorJaimor Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Have fun with it. Beach shots with the family mean a whole lot of candid shots that you'll fall in love with. We live by the beach, so don't ever really worry about the moisture, but like said before don't keep it in the a.c. Also, mid-day is terrible so make sure you protect your eyes..nothing to do with photography, but just a fair warning...I've had corneas burned because of it....