Options

San Francisco de Asis Church

CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
edited July 30, 2016 in Landscapes
I wondered whether there was any point in photographing a place that had been photographed by Adams and Strand and painted by Georgia O'Keeffe. It really grabbed me, though, so I did.

San%20Francisco%200720162000%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2016
    Lovely capture! Don't get "Church" from it, but wonderful light and shapes! All we need! Cheers!
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2016
    Thanks, Taz. I don't get church from it either... just shapes and lines. But that's enough for me.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited July 28, 2016
    I really like this one, Don. Aside from the shapes and shadows, what I find interesting about this image is that its scale is entirely ambiguous--is it a cleverly lit ceramic model, sold to tourists? A really big structure? A smallish building? No way of knowing, and that's a good thing.
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2016
    Thanks, Richard. That hadn't occurred to me but you're right. It adds to the mystery.

PS: Maybe that's why I took so many detail shots, e.g.:

San%20Francisco%20detail%203r%200716%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited July 29, 2016
    Cool abstracts! I'll have to go visit that church in person next time I'm in the city.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2016
    Nice work Don! So nice in B&W... you eliminated any distractions very well!
    Most of Taos almost demands B&W... imo

Taz, the front looks very much like a church, in the dominant architectural style of the region.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2016
    Very, very nice. I've never seen that subject presented quite like this. Sure, there's been tons of B&W work involving the place, but it's kind of like you got the place to expose some of its character that is rarely exhibited. thumb.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2016
    Joel, Eric, Tom, thanks very much. I agree that much of Taos almost demands black and white. That's fortunate, because my primary camera started malfunctioning on my first full day there, so I had to use the infrared camera for everything. I think I would have used it here anyway.