Options

Keep Tahoe Blue

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited July 7, 2016 in Landscapes
That's the sticker you see on many of the cars in Cali, "Keep Tahoe Blue"! Well, I did! ;o)

All criticism is heartily cherished!

1) "Emerald Bay Blue Hour"
1W7A7376-Edit-X3.jpg

2) "Missing Link"
1W7A7379-Edit-X3.jpg

3) "Eagles Falls Predawn"
1W7A7385-X3.jpg

4) "Eagle's Sunrise"
1W7A7402-Edit-X3.jpg

5) "Bonsai Rock Golden Hour"
1W7A7276-Edit-2-X3.jpg

6) "Bonsai Blues"
1W7A7363-X3.jpg

7) "Blue Hour Triangle"
1W7A7359-Edit-X3.jpg

8) "Rock Concert"
1W7A7366-Edit-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2016
    Excellent work, Taz. I'm particularly fond of the first two. The compositional balance in the first one is just about perfect. Some of the rest are a little too blue for me.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2016
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Excellent work, Taz. I'm particularly fond of the first two. The compositional balance in the first one is just about perfect. Some of the rest are a little too blue for me.

Thanks for input Don! I can't say how much I appreciate it.
    I pulled blue back in last 3 shots a ton, and warmed it up....the combination of overcast and blue hour really created that cold tone.....I can pull it back more but stopped where I thought it was losing its punch.....Will try again....

Cheers!!thumb.gif
  • Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2016
    Excellent set Taz! Love the first three (#3 watch level on lake) . The blue hour triangle is fabulousclap.gifclap
    -Len
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2016
    Excellent set Taz! Love the first three (#3 watch level on lake) . The blue hour triangle is fabulousclap.gifclap
    -Len

Thanks Len! So great to get your input! Yeah, I keep getting level tilt sensation.....I have to check it again....Cheers!
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,830 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2016
    BREATHTAKING! Taz, you keep outdoing yourself! My favorites are 4 & 5, although I like the flow of the water even better in #3. Like Len, I wasn't sure about the level of the horizon in #3. and I also wondered if #1 is level? Sometimes it's hard to tell, like an optical illusion.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2016
    BREATHTAKING! Taz, you keep outdoing yourself! My favorites are 4 & 5, although I like the flow of the water even better in #3. Like Len, I wasn't sure about the level of the horizon in #3. and I also wondered if #1 is level? Sometimes it's hard to tell, like an optical illusion.

Thanks Sara! Appreciate it much!

I checked the horizon on both you mentioned. The first one seems okay and I tried to re-adjust it with the LR tool where you put one point and drag the line to another point and it didn't move at all.

However, #3 had horizon off.......should have done more through check....

So here I tried to straighten it......only horizon available is in top left corner and that is what I used.....

1W7A7385-X3.jpg
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2016
    Beautiful, absolutely striking work!!

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2016

Hi Don, what do you think of this......if you get a moment....I pulled blue sat to -40 (nominal being zero) and warmed up by few points further...increased contrast also...

1W7A7359-Edit-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2016
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    Beautiful, absolutely striking work!!

Phil

Phil I am overjoyed! I can't thank you enough both for your insights and support! Cheers!bowdown.gif
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2016
    I think that's better, Taz. Blue can be really overpowering and now I like the shot!
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2016
    I think that's better, Taz. Blue can be really overpowering and now I like the shot!

Thanks much!wings.gifbow
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited July 4, 2016
    Like the color in the first and the Eagle Falls shot. I need to get back to Eagle soon.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited July 4, 2016
    Funny, my wife just mentioned going back to Tahoe this morning. We got married there seven years ago and had planned a ten year wedding reunion tour but with the lake levels constantly dropping, we might advance that to next season. I'd love to photograph Bonsai Rock - missed it the first time. Taz, you nailed it here and I love the blue tones. Lost an old style 67mm Canon lens cap in Eagle Falls. It is at the bottom someplace. If you find it let me know.

#3 has my vote, tilted or not, with Fannette Island visible in Emerald Bay. Great skies in that and similar shots.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2016
    ian408 wrote: »
    Like the color in the first and the Eagle Falls shot. I need to get back to Eagle soon.

Ian, so great to see you post! I have skied in Tahoe, but not spent much time there as photographer. I have to discover some more of the amazing falls they have. Time is always enemy. Cheers!
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2016
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Funny, my wife just mentioned going back to Tahoe this morning. We got married there seven years ago and had planned a ten year wedding reunion tour but with the lake levels constantly dropping, we might advance that to next season. I'd love to photograph Bonsai Rock - missed it the first time. Taz, you nailed it here and I love the blue tones. Lost an old style 67mm Canon lens cap in Eagle Falls. It is at the bottom someplace. If you find it let me know.

#3 has my vote, tilted or not, with Fannette Island visible in Emerald Bay. Great skies in that and similar shots.

David it is great to hear that the place has special meaning for you! I think water levels are okay...and from Eagles falls POV you can't tell.:D

Bonsai is definitely a special treat! My first time there......easy to miss while driving on 89.....

Thanks for encouragement and I think the lens cap is happy in Camera heaven somewhere!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2016
    I was up there a few weeks back-but just passing thru. The lake levels are definitely better than they were but it'll take a couple of good snowy winters to bring the level back to where it once was. Nothing in the Truckee River (to speak of) :(
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2016
    ian408 wrote: »
    I was up there a few weeks back-but just passing thru. The lake levels are definitely better than they were but it'll take a couple of good snowy winters to bring the level back to where it once was. Nothing in the Truckee River (to speak of) :(

Yeah, we sure can use year like last for few years in a row! In Sierras too, it was better but many lakes are still showing the water bed!
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Yeah, we sure can use year like last for few years in a row! In Sierras too, it was better but many lakes are still showing the water bed!

After several years of little to no snow pack, I sure hope we get a few record years.
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2016
    Amazing images!
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2016
    Amazing images!

Thank you kindly!
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2016
    Incredible!!!! I especially like the last one. The rocks formed look like little alien types looking out. I really like the blues!!!! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2016
    Eia wrote: »
    Incredible!!!! I especially like the last one. The rocks formed look like little alien types looking out. I really like the blues!!!! clap.gif

Yay! Thanks Anna Maria!bowdown.gifbarb
    The way people set up those cairns, it does look like little beings....I thought!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    kscooperkscooper Registered Users Posts: 387 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2016
    Taz, these just blow me away, especially the range of colors in #s 3 (I do like your revision better) and 4. Excellent eye, vantage, and control all on display.

Eric

good gear; not enough time
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2016
    kscooper wrote: »
    Taz, these just blow me away, especially the range of colors in #s 3 (I do like your revision better) and 4. Excellent eye, vantage, and control all on display.

Thank you Eric! Wonderful to hear from you here!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2016
    Absolutely gorgeous. Makes me homesick a bit ;(

The only thing I can think of to think about here, is that in the first one (and the 2nd and 3rd to a lesser extent), there's enough cloud motion to just make the sky look slightly blurry, without smoothing it out as obvious motion, and that bothers my eye/brain a little bit.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2016
    JC wrote: »
    Absolutely gorgeous. Makes me homesick a bit ;(

The only thing I can think of to think about here, is that in the first one (and the 2nd and 3rd to a lesser extent), there's enough cloud motion to just make the sky look slightly blurry, without smoothing it out as obvious motion, and that bothers my eye/brain a little bit.

Thanks JC! Always learn something when you comment! Hope you do that more often!
    I have just started to think about when movement blur helps and when capturing the energy is more important. It would certainly be one of the things I would think about before shooting. Whether blur would be nice or not.....thankfully for me, the movement was not so much to completely mess it up.....but going forward I intend to capture frames without movement......and decide what to go with!

Thanks again! Look forward to some images from Germany!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited July 7, 2016
    First the coast master, and now the lake master. Awesome work as always, Taz. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2016
    kdog wrote: »
    First the coast master, and now the lake master. Awesome work as always, Taz. bowdown.gif

You my master!bowdown.gif
    Cheers m8!thumb.gif